Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

What's cooking?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

Re: What's cooking?

by Jeff Grossman » Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:25 pm

Jenise wrote:fresh raw pickled

Say wha?

tiled over

Um?
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:12 am

Extreme Southwest & Extreme Northeast

by Carrie L. » Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:48 am

Jeff Grossman/NYC wrote:

Say wha?

tiled over

Um?

She must still by typing on her iPad. :wink:
Hello. My name is Carrie, and I...I....still like oaked Chardonnay. (Please don't judge.)
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:06 pm

Carrie L. wrote:
Jeff Grossman/NYC wrote:

Say wha?

tiled over

Um?

She must still by typing on her iPad. :wink:

Ha, no!

Fresh raw pickled: no hot brine, no months in a jar. Just an all-day soak in vinegar, salt and garlic.

Tiled: a roast or large piece of meat that's sliced on the bias or diagonal, then laid cut sided up, one piece overlapping another on the plate, often above a sauce or other component of the entree (American definition of entree).
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:40 pm

Jenise wrote:Fresh raw pickled: no hot brine, no months in a jar. Just an all-day soak in vinegar, salt and garlic.

Tiled: a roast or large piece of meat that's sliced on the bias or diagonal, then laid cut side up, one piece overlapping another on the plate, often above a sauce or other component of the entree (American definition of entree).

OK. Better. :)
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:47 pm

This is an amazing way to do lima beans: Rather than simmering them in a lot of water and discarding the flavor-rich liquid, brown onions in olive oil and then braise the (thawed frozen) limas with the onions, s&p and only a few tablespoons of water over very low heat until the beans are creamy and infused with the browned-onion flavor.

no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:07 pm

I love lima beans and never eat them...thanks for the reminder Robin, this sounds delicious.
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

by Redwinger » Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:30 pm

Pizza at the local Yacht and Cricket Club.

Yacht and Cricket Club Pizza.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

Drew Hall

Rank

Wine guru

Mon May 26, 2008 8:07 am

Bel Air, Maryland

by Drew Hall » Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:10 am

Redwinger wrote:Pizza at the local Yacht and Cricket Club.

Yacht and Cricket Club Pizza.JPG

That pizza looks awesome...how tough is it to become a member?
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

by Redwinger » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:56 am

Drew Hall wrote:That pizza looks awesome...how tough is it to become a member?

It's about on par with Augusta National, except we have a camo jacket instead of green.
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:15 pm

Tonight it is Asian sweet potatoes rubbed with coconut oil and baked; served with steamed fresh artichokes, and red kale braised with garlic, red onion, lemon juice, then finished in home made chicken stock.
no avatar
User

Matilda L

Rank

Sparkling Red Riding Hood

Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:48 am

Adelaide, South Australia

by Matilda L » Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:58 am

Just finished Saturday night dinner. It was the best meal we've had this week.

We started out with a layer of thickly-sliced shallots and quartered vine tomatoes (ping-pong ball size) on the bottom of a casserole with a splash of white wine. Cooked these in the oven with the lid on, about 185 degrees C, for about 20-25 minutes. Then, stirred up the layer of now-soft shallots and tomatoes, put two skinless fillets of Atlantic salmon on the top, along with a small lemon (rind and pith sliced off) cut into thinnish slices, scattered in between the fillets. The lid went back on, and back in the oven for about 20 minutes. At the same time, two potatoes, with skin still on but chopped into chunks about half an inch across, tossed in EVOO and sprinkled with mixed herbs, cooked in its own covered pot in the same oven. We served this up with some plain steamed broccoli.

Delicious, though I say it myself. The shallots, tomatoes, lemons and white wine cooked into a glorious golden tangy mixture, the fish was well-done but moist, and the potatoes were soft and fragrant with just a hint of golden crust at the edges.

Paired this with a bottle of Chain of Ponds 'Black Thursday' sauvignon blanc (Adelaide Hills, 2011) - crisp, clean, full of apple and cucumber flavours.

It worked out so well I wished I'd had the presence of mind to take a photo of it to post.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:32 am

Sounds wonderful. I like the idea of a four-ingeredient casserole.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:51 pm

I'm putting together a chicken dish...pieces will be dipped in Dijon mustard and white wine mix, then rolled in a mix of Panko, fresh thyme, fresh garlic, lemon zest, a little butter and evoo to hold to bind the panko. This will be baked to a wonderful, caramelized crispy, yummyness. Haricot Verts, steamed and dressed with fresh lemon juice, salt and pepper. Yukon golds will be mashed and flavored with a bit of truffle butter.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:14 am

Matilda L wrote: Chain of Ponds.

I visited that winery when I was in Adelaide a few years back! As I recall, a loverly place full of flower gardens, with good wines from a very pleasant wine maker.
no avatar
User

Matilda L

Rank

Sparkling Red Riding Hood

Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:48 am

Adelaide, South Australia

by Matilda L » Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:50 am

Chain of Ponds is a pretty area and the winery of that name makes some nice stuff. The Adelaide Hills region produces excellent sav blanc and this one from Chain of Ponds is a favourite weekday-dinner wine for us.
no avatar
User

Heinz Bobek

Rank

Wine geek

Sun Nov 09, 2008 1:51 pm

Munich Germany

by Heinz Bobek » Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:23 pm

Today we had a braised guinea fowl on root vegetables with fried potatoes and cabbage salad bavarian style.
2.jpg

The dessert was a first try for Christmas Dinner on the 25th of December: Strawberry-Mascarpone-Mousse on sourcream-amaretto-sauce with a puff pastry stick.
1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:33 pm

Last night marked my first-ever attempt at chicken and dumplings. I used a recipe from Gourmet magazine, via Epicurious that used corn meal and some fresh dill in the dumplings. Came out very nicely - a good, hearty dish for a cold, damp night.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:21 pm

Mushroom paprikash with red peppers, onions and garlic, lots of paprika and organic sour cream.

no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:20 pm

We are having a white bean, kale and carrot soup. A salad with romaine, celery, shrimp with a dressing of mayo, fresh lemon juice and horseradish. :)
no avatar
User

Frank Deis

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:20 pm

NJ

by Frank Deis » Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:37 pm

I had a pound of okra and a pound of shrimp so I made a big pot of shrimp gumbo. It was pretty good but I had to jigger it since the recipe I was following didn't include onion or bell pepper. I added a leek and some yellow bell pepper. And some hot sauce and sausage.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:59 pm

Tonight it is grilled, marinated flank steak, raviolis with home made marinara, with a spinach salad
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:43 pm

Lunch today was a homemade tomato bisque with canapes of avocado on multi-grain toast.

Dinner is going to be at Bellingham's most unusual restaurant called Ciao Thyme. Though they began as a caterer, and they still do cater, they are also an "occasional" restaurant because they do one or two dinners a month called Incognito as well as put on a number of classes. All the cooking and plating is done within full view of the diners who are close enough to interact with all the chefs. Seating is at long community tables, and we always make new friends.

http://ciaothyme.com/events
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Sat Dec 22, 2012 5:00 pm

I browned and seasoned well, a beautiful chuck roast, then browned medium onions cut in half on both sides, then carrots. All this goes in a large, round Le Creuset; then I poured home made beef stock and red wine about half way up the meat, threw in fresh rosemary, French and English thyme sprigs. This will cook at 275° for three to four hours. Two sides; truffle butter mashed potatoes and sautéed Tatchoi from our garden. Our house should smell wonderful when I start cooking this and it sounded perfect for our snowy, cold, rainy, hail kind of day. :)
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:50 pm

Bihari green beans masala, with browned onions, garlic and ginger, coconut milk and Indian spices.

PreviousNext