Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Arctic Char - my first time experience

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Robert Reynolds

Rank

1000th member!

Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:52 pm

Sapulpa, OK

Arctic Char - my first time experience

by Robert Reynolds » Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:09 pm

Ok, several on here know that I am not generally a seafood person. So when Gail's company picked a seafood restaurant for the holiday dinner party, I was a bit unhappy, but an early look at the menu showed a *few* non- fish entrees.
So what did I get? Arctic Char. Turns out the restaurant, Bodean Seafood, has fresh fish flown in twice daily, and Char was on the 'market fresh' listing, so I decided to give it a try. Good choice for me, not fishy at all, similar to trout in texture. Served with steamed asparagus and hollandaise, and delicious bacon/smoked cheddar grits.
Had a couple of glasses of Willamette Valley Pinot Gris. :)
Still doesn't mean I'm gonna pass up a steak next time, though. ;)
ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

Re: Arctic Char - my first time experience

by Jeff Grossman » Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:46 pm

Bravo! I usually associate char with salmon because they look somewhat similar but you're right that the texture is flakier and leaner than salmon.
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:34 pm

Jeff Grossman/NYC wrote:Bravo! I usually associate char with salmon because they look somewhat similar but you're right that the texture is flakier and leaner than salmon.

Well, they are all salmonids, so there is more than a passing resemblance. Texture varies among the members, even within a single species. Lake trout to me is meatier and less flaky than brown or rainbow trout (not to mention the more obscure varieties such as cutthroat and Dolly Varden) and Steelhead even meatier. Among the salmon, I find King (Chinook) to be meatier and less flaky than Sockeye with Coho in middle. In the midst of this all is where I'd place Arctic Char. I love 'em all, though, but freshness is key.

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

GeoCWeyer

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:24 pm

WoodburyMN

by GeoCWeyer » Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:12 am

Besides freshness I learned this summer that if you catch them yourself the best meat in texture is from cold water just as it is with other freshwater fish. We fished Lake MI
during a heat snap that started the week before. The flesh was did not have the firmness I desire.
I love the life I live and live the life I love*, and as Mark Twain said, " Always do well it will gratify the few and astonish the rest".

*old blues refrain
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:12 pm

I love arctic char! I've always characterized it as halfway between trout and salmon. More delicate than most salmons, but with more substantial filets than trout. It was on a lot of menus around Kansas City when I was there last year--but we never see it here even though we're geographically close to it's point of origins (I believe). I wouldn't even know of it except that one fish seller in Vancouver at the Granville Market (and only one, though there are three or four fish vendors) nearly always has it.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov