The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Wine Advocate sold

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Florida Jim

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:27 pm

St. Pete., FL & Sonoma, CA

Wine Advocate sold

by Florida Jim » Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:35 am

Jim Cowan
Cowan Cellars
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Re: Wine Advocate sold

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:28 am

I enjoyed this quote on another forum>

"The most promising aspect of this deal is that in a year or two, it may be the case that no one will think Parker's name worth mentioning at all in regard to anything, except as an historical event in the US wine market. I plan to start that policy now".
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:50 pm

Fascinating, although I'd like to see independent confirmation from a second source.

If true, as it may very well be, it's funny how this just doesn't feel like the bombshell that it might have five years ago.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:53 pm

Read more closely, it sure has all the earmarks of an April Fool's joke. Can anyone with a subscription get through the WSJ paywall to the original story? With all respect, is Letty Teague credible on hard business news?
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:04 pm

And another report that goes back to the WSJ source.
http://www.thedrinksbusiness.com/2012/1 ... as-editor/
no avatar
User

Salil

Rank

Franc de Pied

Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:26 pm

albany, ny

by Salil » Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:06 pm

Robin Garr wrote:is Letty Teague credible [rest irrelevant]

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Almost sprayed the keyboard laughing.

I paid more attention to the Iraqi Information Minister in 2003 than I did to Lettie. (At least one of them was entertaining.)

Robin, google robert parker wsj and it'll show up. If you access a WSJ story via google you can read it fully.

I love this quote from LPB in the WSJ article (as incompetent/far from the mark as Teague is, I doubt she could get a quote like this wrong.)

"Ms. Perrotti-Brown said the company is discussing terms with its correspondents, who include lead critic Antonio Galloni, as well as David Schildknecht, Mark Squires and Neal Martin, whom she and Mr. Parker hope will sign on as employees. If they decline? 'There is a plethora of good wine writers out there. It's a buyer's market,' she said."

Sounds like the Mitt Romney school of management. I'm sure Messrs Martin, Galloni and Schildknecht would love hearing that they're such easily replacable labor. :roll: What a way to start.
Last edited by Salil on Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:10 pm

Robin Garr wrote:And another report that goes back to the WSJ source.
http://www.thedrinksbusiness.com/2012/1 ... as-editor/

Another reference that cites the WSJ article:

Reuters blog

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

James Dietz

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:45 pm

Orange County, California

by James Dietz » Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:31 pm

Parker has confirmed on his own site.
Cheers, Jim
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:19 pm

Here's Parker's post, bounced through public posts on Facebook:

RMP wrote:An Important Message from Robert Parker

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Subscribers,

I am especially excited to share the following news with all of you. In 2001, I asked Wine Technologies to join TWA team as a partner and an investor as we developed the eRobertParker.com site that has been such a huge success. Yet, despite the success of our joint effort over more than a decade, it is important that we look ahead including adapting to the latest technology/platforms and providing enhanced applications for our readers. I have again taken on some investors, three 30-early 40ish highly qualified business and technology people and enthusiastic wine lovers as well as long time subscribers. They are totally independent of the wine industry and have a very global vision that is essential in today's world.

Some of the changes we are considering for 2013 are:

1. Further expansion of our coverage in all of the world's wine producing regions and much more efficient delivery of that information to you.

2. Many new features including new applications, more videos, a PDF of TWA for electronic subscribers, virtual tastings, and a new program called Icon Wines - all designed to take advantage of a state of the art technology platform and rapid fire response site for subscribers.

3. We will be offering wine education conferences with plans to tour a range of cities around the world.

4. While our office in Monkton, Maryland continues to remain "THE HEADQUARTERS" we intend to open another office in Singapore where the investors reside and from where we can more easily serve Asian countries.

5. Lisa Perrotti-Brown MW, who also resides in Singapore, will manage the office and become our editor-in-chief, assuming all responsibilities for coordinating TWA content, editing and proof-reading, things that I have found enormously time-consuming and am thrilled to transfer so I can focus on what I love most, bringing you the world's best coverage of great wines, no matter what their price.

6. While we would love to add a few additional writers, especially to deepen the coverage of emerging wine regions such as China, etc. we plan that our current writers will continue to do what they have been doing. We simply want to deliver that information using the fastest and most professional methods that modern technology permits.

7. While rumors about me retiring have circulated for years, nothing could be further from the truth. I am still in this profession for the long-term as I remain the CEO and Chairman of the TWA board, and an owner. Moreover, I will continue to comprehensively cover Bordeaux, the Rhone, retrospectives on California vintages, and profiles of under $25 wine bargains from our finest importers.

From the ancient beginning days of TWA, back in 1978, when the publication was a simple 8-10 page rough-hewn document, my vision and goal was to create a body of wine knowledge that exceeded anything the world had ever seen. I never dreamed that the internet and the technology revolution would be such a welcome catalyst to expedite achieving my goals. I also never dreamed TWA would sweep across the civilized world with an impact that was beyond my wildest dreams. The dream, the vision, the commitment to wine consumers for fair and independent content continues. I wish I were 25 years younger as I feel so excited about the new investor team and what we can accomplish together.

It is impossible not to thank all of you. To live the life of your dreams is a rare privilege. I can never take it for granted, and do realize how fate and fortune have shone brightly on me. I am profoundly touched by the faith and confidence all of you have bestowed on me and our team. Just saying thank you is woefully inadequate....but nonetheless....thank you from the bottom of my heart and soul.

Robert M Parker, Jr.

December 9, 2012

Monkton, MD
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:22 pm

Robin Garr wrote:|Parker's post

It seems to have a significantly different spin than the WSJ account. I hope Eric Asimov or someone chimes in with some journalism. :roll:
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

Gasp.....

by TomHill » Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:30 pm

Robin Garr wrote:Dear Subscribers,

I am especially excited to share the following news with all of you. In 2001, I asked Wine Technologies to join TWA team as a partner and an investor as we developed the eRobertParker.com site that has been such a huge success. Yet, despite the success of our joint effort over more than a decade, it is important that we look ahead including adapting to the latest technology/platforms and providing enhanced applications for our readers. I have again taken on some investors, three 30-early 40ish highly qualified business and technology people and enthusiastic wine lovers as well as long time subscribers. They are totally independent of the wine industry and have a very global vision that is essential in today's world.

Gasp.....like...as in..."followed him from the very start"??? I sorta doubt that.

This post does not say that TWA has been sold...only that he's taken in some new investors. Somewhat different I'd say.
Tom
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:38 pm

The NY Times' Eric Asimov weighs in:

http://dinersjournal.blogs.nytimes.com/ ... he-market/
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:46 pm

Asimov gets it right and in a stylish way too. Thanks for posting that article.
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.
no avatar
User

James Dietz

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:45 pm

Orange County, California

by James Dietz » Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:32 pm

James Roscoe wrote:Asimov gets it right and in a stylish way too. Thanks for posting that article.

Indeed, he does.
Cheers, Jim
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:43 am

Eric Asimov did a much better job with his analysis than the general population of the interweb - that's for sure!

Overall I continue to be amazed at how much bandwidth is devoted in certain quarters to discussing someone they claim to not care about... (elipsis intentional)
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Florida Jim

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:27 pm

St. Pete., FL & Sonoma, CA

by Florida Jim » Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:46 am

David M. Bueker wrote:Eric Asimov did a much better job with his analysis than the general population of the interweb - that's for sure!

Overall I continue to be amazed at how much bandwidth is devoted in certain quarters to discussing someone they claim to not care about... (elipsis intentional)

C'mon David, everyone has to look at the train wreck, right?
Best, Jim
Jim Cowan
Cowan Cellars
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:58 am

Look at it? Sure. Some of what is going on makes the paparazzi looks like tourists with point and shoot cameras.

Of course Parker could have saved a child from a burning building, and folks on the wine web would criticize how he did it and ask him how many points he gave the fire.

I'm just sayin...
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Ryan M

Rank

Wine Gazer

Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:01 pm

Atchison, KS

by Ryan M » Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:41 am

I don't know that this really changes anything. Parker's influence has already been in decline, and since he's not actually retiring, the consumers who are still slavishly dependent on him will not be forced to think for themselves. And since he will still be covering Bordeaux, the impact of his scores on prices will probably not decline much either.

I can honestly say that for me, he is nothing more than one critic among many whose reviews of Bordeaux I will consult before making a cellar purchase. I consider his reviews one valid "data point" to "throw into the average," albeit one that I probably give less weighting.

So is this a bombshell? No. I personally think that Suckling leaving Spectator to go independent was a more significant change in the wine criticism landscape (and I've decided I'm glad of that one - it gives me more "data points" to work with).
"The sun, with all those planets revolving about it and dependent on it, can still ripen a bunch of grapes as if it had nothing else to do"
Galileo Galilei

(avatar: me next to the WIYN 3.5 meter telescope at Kitt Peak National Observatory)
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:06 am

Good article by Mike S
http://winediarist.com/
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:14 pm

Dale Williams wrote:Good article by Mike S
http://winediarist.com/

Good? Good? It's wunderbus! :lol:
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

by Ian Sutton » Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:10 pm

Yes it seems a fair article by Mike S.
Drink coffee, do stupid things faster
no avatar
User

ChaimShraga

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:53 am

Tel-Aviv, Israel

by ChaimShraga » Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:47 pm

I kinda wish I could get at Neal Martin's notes for free once more as a result of this oh so dramatic change, it's really just about the only think about WA I care about, except for Schindel... the guy with the long name.
Positive Discrimination For White Wines!
http://2GrandCru.blogspot.com