The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Two From Steve...(short/boring)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

WTN: Two From Steve...(short/boring)

by TomHill » Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:53 am

Tried these two from SteveEdmunds over the last few days:
1. EdmundsStJohn RedNeck 101 EaglePointRanch/MendocinoCnty RW (Syrah/Grenache; 14.6%; www.EdmundsStJohn.com) ThirstyPagans With BigIdeas 2005 : Very dark color; strong blackberry/Syrah bit peppery light earthy/mushroomy some MendoCnty/tomatoey/stewed tomatoes bit clunky rather interesting nose; slightly sour earthy/mushroomy/Mendo tomatoey some blackberry/Syrah bit peppery flavor w/ modest chalky tannins; med.long light blackberry/Syrah/peppery some clunky/chunky/blocky mushroomy/earthy/tomatoey/MendoCnty finish w/ some chalky/gritty tannins; an interesting red that's on the chunky/blocky side and lacks the high-toned character of pure Syrah and that speaks strongly of MendoCnty. $26.00
2. EdmundsStJohn Syrah Wylie-Fenaughty/ElDoradoCnty (14.1%) P&B by Intuition&BlindLuck/Berkeley 1999: Very dark color w/ slight bricking; strong smoky/roasted/Rhonish/pungent/espresso/charred some blackberry/Syrah/licorice/root beer bit earthy/mushroomy/ElDorado beautiful/complex nose; rather tart strong roasted/Rhonish/espresso fairly smooth/balanced bit blackberry/Syrah/root beer mushroomy/ElDorado/truffly bit charred/smoky/pungent quite complex Rhonish/Cornas flavor w/ slighht tannic bite; very long smoky/Rhonish/coffee/espresso/roasted some blackberry/Syrah/root beer/pungent earthy/truffly/ElDorado bit charred/smoky rather smooth finish w/ light tannic bite; probably as good as it'll get; wonderful expression of ElDorado Syrah. $30.00
1. I have, of course, followed SteveEdmunds from the very start. Had his first Syrahs (from DurellVnyd) back in the mid-'80's and really liked them. Finally did a visit w/ him when he was located in an industrial whorehouse space out back of the OaksCardShop on SanPablo. Believe that was actually his 2'nd wnry location. He does get around.
The Redneck 101, of course, comes from CaseyHartlip's EaglePointRanch, back in them days. The type on the vintage date is pretty hard to read, either 2003 or 2005. Even with a magnifying glass. Nuthin to do w/ old age...just bad typography.
When I tried to look up the blend, I did a Google on "Redneck 101". Man....does that turn up some scary stuff. Even a Google on "Redneck 101 wine" turns up some scary stuff, like:
Click On Me
As best I can tell, it's a Syrah/Grenache blend. The clunky character it showed may suggest there's even PS in there. Steve will have to tell us what.
The W-F '99 was one of the best ElDorado Syrahs I've had. ElDorado Syrah lacks the high-toned character of Syrah from some places in Calif. But the earhy/mushroomy character it often shows, when done right, suggests a good Cornas from the Rhone, maybe a Clape.
Anyway...two great reds from a great guy.
Tom
no avatar
User

SteveEdmunds

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:05 am

Berkeley, CA

Re: WTN: Two From Steve...(short/boring)

by SteveEdmunds » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:54 pm

those industrial whores are the worst! :roll:
I don't know just how I'm supposed to play this scene, but I ain't afraid to learn...
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

Oopps...

by TomHill » Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:05 pm

Steve Edmunds wrote:those industrial whores are the worst! :roll:

Oopps...Freudian slip typo. Too funny to correct, though. You know that neighborhood well, though.
Tom
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

Re: WTN: Two From Steve...(short/boring)

by Mark Lipton » Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:21 pm

Steve Edmunds wrote:those industrial whores are the worst! :roll:

Artisanal whores are the way to go??? :shock:

Mark Lipton