Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Sauce for a scallop shrimp Ravioli

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Gary Bobier

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat Jun 13, 2009 5:29 am

Sauce for a scallop shrimp Ravioli

by Gary Bobier » Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:06 am

My next dinner will include a shrimp scallop ravioli with a bit of mascarpone, breadcrumbs, mace, and shallot. What would you recomend for a sauce?
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Sauce for a scallop shrimp Ravioli

by Jenise » Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:43 am

Are there any cream sauces on the menu already that would cause you to stear clear of that category of sauce?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:28 am

Brown butter, though you might have to omit the mascarpone and maybe change the mace to something less "sweet".

Otherwise, I suppose a cream-based sauce is a good pick.

Depending on the texture, maybe just a sprinkle of lemon juice?
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:03 pm

Browned butter hit my head first, maybe with a touch of fresh lemon zest and/or juice
no avatar
User

Fred Sipe

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:34 am

Sunless Rust-Belt NE Ohio

by Fred Sipe » Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:46 pm

Would an orange butter sauce with tarragon be too weird? Sounds good to me...
no avatar
User

Gary Bobier

Rank

Ultra geek

by Gary Bobier » Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:47 pm

I was kind of leaning towards a brown lemon butter sauce. There are no other cream courses in this dinner. Just roast portabella mushrooms stuffed with spinach, the ravioli, roast pork loin with baby brocoli and a dessert yet to be done.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:29 pm

Fred Sipe wrote:Would an orange butter sauce with tarragon be too weird? Sounds good to me...

No it wouldn't be too weird. I was actually thinking of suggesting tarragon or chervil, which is such a great, delicatae winter herb, to Gary in a cream sauce (wine, broth and cream, reduced). But for the match with the champagnes, I'd probably go lemon (grated rind) over orange.

Gary, since there's no cream anywhere else in your menu, and because cream sauces equate to luxury, I think a creamy wine-lemon-fish stock reduction finished with lemon rind and a bit of herb would be a great addition that your guests would love.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Gary Bobier

Rank

Ultra geek

by Gary Bobier » Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:12 pm

I am trying to keep things simple so the fish stock would take to much work. More locating the fresh bones. What would you think of a roasted lemon Burre Blanc garnished with a fine grate of lemon zest and chervil. We will be window paneing the chervil into the pasta sheets for the ravioli.

Gary
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:32 pm

I think that would be terrific, love your using the chervil in the pasta--I probably wouldn't repeat it in the sauce, would just stand with the roasted lemon burre blanc.
no avatar
User

GeoCWeyer

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:24 pm

WoodburyMN

by GeoCWeyer » Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:34 pm

Just had a wild idea, a lemon cream sauce with fresh lavender! Since I have a lavender plant growing in my window I sometimes use it just to be different.
I love the life I live and live the life I love*, and as Mark Twain said, " Always do well it will gratify the few and astonish the rest".

*old blues refrain
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:14 pm

I've used lavender in a few different dishes, including an ice cream that I liked. In my experience, the thing to be careful about is getting too much of its flavor - it can be a bit overpowering. I'd be interested to hear how it works with something like scallops and shrimp.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child