The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 5, I say 5

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Mark S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:28 pm

CNY

WTN: 5, I say 5

by Mark S » Thu Nov 30, 2006 11:20 am

Chateau de Fieuzal, Pessac-Leognan, 1999
I like this Chateau's whites better than its red, but for $8 in the closeout bin, who am I to say 'non'? Shows the forwardness of the '99 vintage, with cedary and floral swamp cabbage in the light nose. Tart cassis, bitter licorice root, light in body with a plummy-redcurrant finish, this has surprising acid for the vintage. Eminently serviceable claret for the price, but probably not if it sold at full retail.

Hirsch, Riesling, Zöbinger Gaisberg, Alte reben, 1998
A medium deep bronzish gold color. Lime zest with embryonic petrol-glycerin on the nose. Lime again on the palate, with dry pineapple, a bit austere compared with the tropicality I found from earlier consumption. Spicy aromas and flavors gain with air time. Think I enjoyed this best about 2 or 3 years ago.

Emilio Bulfon, Piculit Neri delle Venezie, 2005
Dark rose colored. Perfumed gum mastic, lilacs on the nose. A light bodied red wine reminiscent of a ruche or a Dalmatian coast bistro red, with a rose-oil finish. Little (tannic) structure here, but a little bit of chalk dust on the finish. Interesting, but stay away if you don't enjoy perfumed wines.

Albert Morot, Beaune ' Cent Vignes', 2001
Cranberry red colored. Cherry stick and light, slightly unrevealing strawberry aromas. On the palate are cooked cranberry and pomegranate, this is a bit harder and more closed than an earlier Morot I had. Clean mint and oak spice on the finish. this probably needs another year or two in the larder to show better.

Barbeito, Madeira, 'Reserva' Medium Dry, NV
Tawney, dark orange colored. Walnut orange spice and burnt caramel on the nose. Roasted walnut meat, dried citron, burnt Seville orange tha becomes richer tasting the more this glass is left. A new styled Madeira that combines styles, this can fill a niche.
no avatar
User

OW Holmes

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:57 pm

Grand Rapids, MI

Re: TN: 5, I say 5

by OW Holmes » Thu Nov 30, 2006 12:09 pm

Great notes. I have no experience with "floral swamp cabbage" "perfumed gum mastic" or "burnt Seville orange" but I want to. I'd love to be able to write such descriptions.
-OW
no avatar
User

David Creighton

Rank

Wine guru

Wed May 24, 2006 10:07 am

ann arbor, michigan

Re: WTN: 5, I say 5

by David Creighton » Thu Nov 30, 2006 1:27 pm

an historical reference to foghorn leghorn???
david creighton
no avatar
User

Mark S

Rank

Wine guru

CNY

Re: TN: 5, I say 5

by Mark S » Thu Nov 30, 2006 2:06 pm

OW Holmes wrote: I have no experience with "floral swamp cabbage" "perfumed gum mastic" or "burnt Seville orange" but I want to. I'd love to be able to write such descriptions.

Thanks for your support.
And you just did...(write those descriptors)!
no avatar
User

Mark S

Rank

Wine guru

CNY

Re: WTN: 5, I say 5

by Mark S » Thu Nov 30, 2006 2:07 pm

creightond wrote:an historical reference to foghorn leghorn???

Well, I wasn't thinking that, but now that you mention it...