Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.

WTN: Tobia Alma Mater Rioja

no avatar
User

Pinchas L

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:04 pm

Brooklyn, NY

WTN: Tobia Alma Mater Rioja

by Pinchas L » Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:32 pm

This week the company for which I work had their annual holiday party. I got to order my meal from Ladino Tapas Bar and Grill, the new kosher restaurant located near Columbus Circle in NYC. Alex the chef suggested that I have a bottle of Spanish wine to go along with the meal. It was reasonably priced at $39 so I accepted his suggestion. The markup now seems rather large given that I just spotted it online at Amazon for $10, though perhaps that is the non-kosher run, as I've seen the kosher version at Schnapps, a store whose prices are usually very reasonable, for $19.

Tobia Alama Mater Rioja 2011, Tempranillo (80%), Grenache (20%) - The Spanish wine possesses a perfumed nose and a mellow demeanor, making it a pleasant wine to accompany any meal. I would not call it bland, because of the presence of the fruit and the perfume, but its body is of medium weight and it doesn't exhibit much in the way of tannins and acidity. It fit in well at the occasion I had it. 13.5% AbV and mevushal B-/***

I wonder if anyone else came across this producer, as it is definitely my first time stumbling across it.

Best,
-> Pinchas

Grading for quality: A - marvellous, B - good/intriguing, C - mediocre/uninspiring, D - subjectively flawed, F - objectively flawed
Grading for value: *** - it's a steal, ** - it's a reasonable deal, * - you've been robbed
no avatar
User

gaston k

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:32 pm

Re: WTN: Tobia Alma Mater Rioja

by gaston k » Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:25 pm

I had a bottle of this a few weeks back, one that I found for 10 dollars (kosher version) at a local wine shop. I thought it was good value for the money, and a nice alternative to the price creeping up of the Ramon Cordova Rioja.
User

Gabriel Geller

Rank

'So-called' wine expert

Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:46 pm

Jerusalem, Israel

by Gabriel Geller » Sun Dec 23, 2012 7:43 pm

gaston k wrote:I had a bottle of this a few weeks back, one that I found for 10 dollars (kosher version) at a local wine shop. I thought it was good value for the money, and a nice alternative to the price creeping up of the Ramon Cordova Rioja.

Frankly, why bother buying the Cardova when you can have for even less the peraj petita?!
no avatar
User

Isaac Chavel

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:54 am

by Isaac Chavel » Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:00 am

Frankly, why bother buying the Cardova when you can have for even less the peraj petita?!

I am almost certain that the Ramon Cordoba you are thinking of is the Crianza. The regular Rioja is cheaper. Nonetheless, I do agree as to the quality of the peraj petita, which I enjoy more than the crianza.

Isaac
no avatar
User

Steven B

Rank

Wine geek

Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:59 am

by Steven B » Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:09 am

I may be remembering wrong, but I think that the 2010 Peraj Petita is a significant downgrade from the 2009. Maybe the 2010 I had was just a bad bottle.
User

Gabriel Geller

Rank

'So-called' wine expert

Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:46 pm

Jerusalem, Israel

by Gabriel Geller » Mon Dec 24, 2012 7:39 pm

Isaac Chavel wrote:

I am almost certain that the Ramon Cordoba you are thinking of is the Crianza. The regular Rioja is cheaper. Nonetheless, I do agree as to the quality of the peraj petita, which I enjoy more than the crianza.

Isaac

I was thinking of both actually.
no avatar
User

Elie Poltorak

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:05 pm

by Elie Poltorak » Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:44 pm

Steven B wrote:I may be remembering wrong, but I think that the 2010 Peraj Petita is a significant downgrade from the 2009. Maybe the 2010 I had was just a bad bottle.

I agree that the '10 petita is a major step down from the incredible '09 but it still beats anything else in its price range hands down.
no avatar
User

Elchonon Hellinger

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:39 am

by Elchonon Hellinger » Tue Dec 25, 2012 2:18 am

Gabriel Geller wrote:
gaston k wrote:I had a bottle of this a few weeks back, one that I found for 10 dollars (kosher version) at a local wine shop. I thought it was good value for the money, and a nice alternative to the price creeping up of the Ramon Cordova Rioja.

cardova is about 16, peraj petita about 20$. i think the 09 is sold at total wine here for 20$
User

Yehoshua Werth

Rank

Wine guru

Thu May 19, 2011 3:29 pm

Monsey, New York USA

by Yehoshua Werth » Tue Dec 25, 2012 10:18 pm

Whoever is paying $20 is missing the deals on the Petita and the Cordova of which the new vintage is any day now should go for $15. :)
Yehoshua Werth, Manager
The GrapeVine Wines & Spirits
Monsey, NY USA
http://www.youtube.com/TheGrapevineWines
no avatar
User

Isaac Chavel

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:54 am

by Isaac Chavel » Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:16 am

Hmmm. This thread has partially morphed into one about Peraj Petita. Well, this evening we had a family birthday for a grandson and I opened a 2010 Peraj Petita. Certainly enjoyed it, no complaints here.

Are people comparing 2010 poorly to the 2009 as the 2009 is drinking currently, or as the 2009 was drinking same time last year? (I cannot remember ... no, at my age I won't go there.) If the former, can the more expert tasters venture future development for the 2010 next year at this time?

Isaac