The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Loam Baby???

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

Loam Baby???

by TomHill » Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:15 pm

I don't follow the WS's new blogger, Talia. I clearly am not part of the new demography that the WS is appealing to and I don't want to skew their readership demography. She's very ultra-hip and that obviously doesn't fit me 'tall. I find her blogs, thus far, rather shallow and can't say I've learned much from them. It's clear that ole Marv gave her the marching orders to appeal to the 20's (that's not 1920) demography and to draw them into the WS sphere of influence. Clearly, I don't fit that bill of goods.
Her latest blog was so super/ultra-hip that I felt like I was reading something from a foreign language. Apparently, you don't read a "magazine" anymore...it's now just a "zine". I'm not sure if I could use that term for my large-print Reader'sDigest or my usual WeeklyReader or my Boy'sLife magazine. And I have no clue as to what a "ska zine" is. Or a "bidi". Is that some shorthand for a "bidet"?? I'm clueless..as well as ancient ole fuddy-duddy.
Anyway...her blog raves about a new "zine" called Loam Baby, written under a nom-de-plume. Anybody seen the mag...errrrr...."zine" yet and is it worth her raves?? It sounds a little too close for comfort to the Wine X mag...errrr...."zine" that was also ultra-hip....and now defunct.
Anyway...just sorta curious.
Tom
no avatar
User

Tom Troiano

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:22 pm

Massachusetts

Re: Loam Baby???

by Tom Troiano » Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:42 pm

I think I'll stick with reading Tom Hill and not the WS blog.
Tom T.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:45 pm

Have never heard of "zine'. I did google Loam Baby just now and what I found was of no interest to me. I am a good ole world kinda guy, learning to talk and write like Tom :lol:
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

Well....

by TomHill » Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:07 pm

Bob Parsons Alberta wrote:Have never heard of "zine'. I did google Loam Baby just now and what I found was of no interest to me. I am a good ole world kinda guy, learning to talk and write like Tom :lol:

I did look thru the on-line version and it looks to have some content worth reading.
Tom
no avatar
User

Victorwine

Rank

Wine guru

Thu May 18, 2006 9:51 pm

by Victorwine » Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:12 pm

The Gray Report had some nice things to say about it.

http://blog.wblakegray.com/2012/03/grea ... -baby.html

Salute
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:02 am

Never heard of Talia or Loam Baby before but the term 'zine' has been around - if not for ever - certainly since the 70's (Talia says '60's and she's probably right but I can't remember.

Home made typed magazines produced on hand turned duplicators, then later by their parents on their office photocopiers. Subjects, pop culture, music, fan magazines, TV programmes etc...

A 'ska zine' would be, imo, one about ska music.

Mostly replaced by blogs and websites.

I had a quick look at Loam Baby - looks good, looks professional, and not like a 'zine' of yore. There's money behind it and I don't think the writer/publisher is a yoof. I also don't think the writer is at the ultra-hip end of the spectrum, the articles look mainstream to me and how about this quote if you like Cabernet Sauvignon as much as I do, like those multi-dimensional wines made by André Tchelistcheff in days of old ....
no avatar
User

Brian Gilp

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 23, 2006 5:50 pm

by Brian Gilp » Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:32 am

I read Vol 2 on Santa Cruz last night and liked it. Can't seem to get to Vol 1 or I would probably read that also. Not sure that it really is all that different but the interview with Jeffrey Patterson just seemed more real and honest and not constrained to two pages as often happens in other pubs.