The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN : Snow week wines

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Marc D

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:44 pm

Bellingham WA

WTN : Snow week wines

by Marc D » Thu Nov 30, 2006 7:23 pm

We had a crazy last week of November, with record cold and almost 2 feet of snow in Bellingham, which is pretty unusual. On the plus side Mt Baker ski area recorded over 12 feet of new snow during the storm cycle, and there was some memorable powder skiing for those that made it up to the mountain.

2002 Overnoy-Houillon Poulsard Arbois

A good bottle, less bretty than the last. Very interesting combination of red fruits, orange peel, and earth aromas. The wine is delicately flavored in the mouth with high acidity and definitely benefits from food. I love this, but it is very different from the usual dark purple stuff.

2001 Domaine de Mourchon Côtes du Rhône Villages Séguret Grande Réserve

75% Grenache, 25% Syrah. Dark purple color, black fruits, a little garrigue, pepper, very tannic, and finishes a little hot. I don't think this is anywhere near ready as the tannins are pretty fierce right now. There is a smoky, tarry note, maybe from the syrah component. This was much more primary and less forward than the 2001 Escaravailles Rasteau we drank this week.

2004 Clos Roche Blanche Touraine Pif

I think this is a combination of Cabernet Franc, Gamay and Cot (Malbec) from younger vines. Leafy red fruits with some rustic tannins, very pure and intense flavors though. This bottle showed better, more integrated than previous ones and made me wish I bought more.

2001 Domaine des Escaravailles Côtes du Rhône Villages Rasteau La Ponce

Baked cherry pie, grenache fruit nose, which became a little monotonous and one dimensional after the first few sips. A definite sense of sweetness in the mouth with some chewy tannins, full bodied, but for my tastes a little short on acidity. 14.5% abv.

1997 Domaine de la Pepiere Muscadet de Sèvre-et-Maine Vieilles Vignes Clos des Briords

Light gold color, briny aromas with some apricot ripeness. Slight metallic taste towards the finish. This was pretty interesting as the fruit seems pretty ripe in the melon, apricot range, but the saline minerals and acidity typical of Muscadet are very much part of the show.

2001 Bruno Giacosa Nebbiolo d'Alba

This benefits from a 90 minute decant. When first opened there was a slight prickliness in the front of the mouth that goes away with air. This has a great nose of fresh cherry lifted on a little VA and a hint of anise seed. Some musty earthy notes, too. It has food friendly acidity and was a knockout match with raviolis with Gorgonzola cheese sauce. This is drinking really well right now.
Marc Davis
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Re: WTN : Snow week wines

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Thu Nov 30, 2006 7:34 pm

Great snow week wines, esp. the Pepiere. Way to go!!