Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

RCP: Potato, Bacon with Swiss Cheese

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

RCP: Potato, Bacon with Swiss Cheese

by Karen/NoCA » Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:32 pm

This is a fun breakfast that you can make the night before and serve a lot of adults and kids. Everyone loves it.

Here is what I do: Take 2 thick slices of peppered bacon and stretch them out just a little, pulling gently with your hands. Lay them criss-cross fashion into a ramekin, with the ends dangling over the sides. Layer thinly sliced potatoes, (red or yellow, your choice) put some shredded Swiss on top and any seasoning you desire (no need for salt) then layer potatoes and cheese again. Bring edges over the top and stick a toothpick in them. Bake 400° for about 30 to 40 minutes until bacon is crisp and potatoes are cooked. Carefully remove baking tray to counter and use gloves to pick up ramekins and drain the accumulated bacon grease from the ramekin. Or if you are feeling lucky and taking Lipitor, let it soak into the potatoes and go for it. Either way, this is very yummy. We serve it in the ramekin with a grapefruit spoon, as it helps cut through the crisp bacon.
Bacon Potato bake1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: RCP: Potato, Bacon with Swiss Cheese

by Jenise » Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:59 pm

Clever! Those are essentially individual portions of the great Joel Robuchon gratin that I'm such a fan of (and spoke of in a long-ago post). Never thought of scaling it down like that--nice!!!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:19 pm

Those look both decadent and delicious!
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:11 am

What a great idea!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:25 am

Jeff Grossman/NYC wrote:What a great idea!

Yeah. I could eat about 14 of them!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov