Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Roasting lemon slices

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 9:55 pm

Roasting lemon slices

by Karen/NoCA » Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:35 pm

My latest love is roasting lemon slices in a little evoo until the juices caramelize and the edges brown. I put these in a jambalaya I made last week....heaven.

Even if used as a garnish they are so pretty.
Attachments
roasted lemons.jpg
(79.48 KiB) Downloaded 1145 times
no avatar
User

GeoCWeyer

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 5:24 pm

WoodburyMN

Re: Roasting lemon slices

by GeoCWeyer » Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:26 pm

Well Done. they look delicious!
I love the life I live and live the life I love*, and as Mark Twain said, " Always do well it will gratify the few and astonish the rest".

*old blues refrain
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:10 pm

Sounds interesting, Karen, but does the caramelization make them enough sweeter to balance the acidity? I just don't think I'd enjoy biting into a wedge of raw lemon, unless maybe a Meyer lemon. :|
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:46 pm

Not Karen, but yes it does. And it tames the bitterness; the caramel flavor is just fantastic. I'm a fan, too!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
User

Matilda L

Rank

Sparkling Red Riding Hood

Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:48 am

Adelaide, South Australia

by Matilda L » Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:49 am

Now, they look delightful. I can just picture some of these heaped onto a crispy-roasted chicken breast - perhaps some rosemary and garlic flavours in the chicken, too. Must try this very soon.

How about orange slices? Do you give them the treatment too?
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 9:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:01 pm

Robin Garr wrote:Sounds interesting, Karen, but does the caramelization make them enough sweeter to balance the acidity? I just don't think I'd enjoy biting into a wedge of raw lemon, unless maybe a Meyer lemon. :|

Actually the lemon is no longer raw Robin. While cooking they release their juices and it take a few minutes for the juice to cook down. What you are left with it what you see in the picture, caramelized yummyness. Ina Garten has a Tuscan Roasted chicken that is spatchcocked. I think she calls for grilling it but we roast it and it has whole lemon halves roasted along side the chicken. I love, love that recipe, you can squeeze the juice over the checken when served but I just love sucking it out, when it is just the two of us, of course. :wink: If company is present, I am more ladylike!