The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Open Mike:`04 Ravenswood Lodi Zinfandel.

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Open Mike:`04 Ravenswood Lodi Zinfandel.

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Thu Nov 30, 2006 9:49 am

I know that the weather up here calls for a hearty red so thought this Zin, maybe the proclaimed `04 vintage, might go down well this weekend. Many of you being dragged around the shopping malls so sneak off and grab a bottle! If the Lodi is not available, try one of the other appellations. Nothing like a good zin to wind down the day as the domestic staff get dinner ready!!!
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

Re: Open Mike:`04 Ravenswood Lodi Zinfandel.

by Saina » Thu Nov 30, 2006 4:54 pm

Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:I know that the weather up here calls for a hearty red so thought this Zin, maybe the proclaimed `04 vintage, might go down well this weekend. Many of you being dragged around the shopping malls so sneak off and grab a bottle! If the Lodi is not available, try one of the other appellations. Nothing like a good zin to wind down the day as the domestic staff get dinner ready!!!

We don't have that, but I'll see what Zins, if any, we have available. I've been meaning to acquaint myself with the variety anyway.
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Thu Nov 30, 2006 5:16 pm

Sorry, Bob, but I can't join you on this one: definitely not a fan of hot climate wines, and Lodi's pretty hot.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Mike B.

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Aug 25, 2006 10:56 am

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

by Mike B. » Thu Nov 30, 2006 5:38 pm

Sorry Bob, I'll be sitting this one out, too. I'm not a fan of Ravenswood.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Thu Nov 30, 2006 7:32 pm

Mike B. wrote:Sorry Bob, I'll be sitting this one out, too. I'm not a fan of Ravenswood.

Ok so try something else!! Great Zin selection in DeVines, how about Sebastiani/Amador/Z-52.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Thu Nov 30, 2006 7:43 pm

Jenise wrote:Sorry, Bob, but I can't join you on this one: definitely not a fan of hot climate wines, and Lodi's pretty hot.

This kinda weather, no time for wimpy wines!!!!!
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:16 pm

Well, I'm a fan of Ravenswood Zin and the 2003 Lodi was on sale a few months ago, reduced to same price as their Vintners Blend. I think its a pretty good Zin and I've 4 bottles left.
no avatar
User

Mike B.

Rank

Ultra geek

by Mike B. » Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:34 pm

Hmm, I've liked the Z-52 and I've seen the Clockspring at Liquor Select. I'm heading there this weekend and might pick one up.
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:36 pm

Coming to a store near you.

by Robert J. » Thu Nov 30, 2006 10:35 pm

It's cold here in Texas, but not too cold. I've got some Cheyanna Zin '03 Napa. A little light for a zin but good.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Fri Dec 01, 2006 2:14 am

Ok so lots of zins around!! No rules here so post away, I will take care of the Ravenswood.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Fri Dec 01, 2006 7:52 pm

Robert J. wrote:It's cold here in Texas, but not too cold. I've got some Cheyanna Zin '03 Napa. A little light for a zin but good.

Do not have too many Napa zins in the cellar, lots of Lodi and Sonoma.
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

by Robert J. » Fri Dec 01, 2006 8:13 pm

This one is really just a little weak for me. I like Ravenswood (any of them). I'm going to get some just because you got me itchin for it. Thank you, kind sir. :)
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sat Dec 02, 2006 1:09 am

Just got in from the Grill and I sure don`t find the Lodi hot. Just into 2nd glass and some turkey scallopini!!

(edit) now on 2nd glass and think this could use some added tannin structure? Quite jammy but has some cola now showing up on the finish. I`m pretty impressed (so far). Nose has all that plum, blackberry, fleshy fruit.
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

by Robert J. » Sat Dec 02, 2006 12:53 pm

Stop it. Stop it! Now I have to go to the store and get some. Just like Rod Stewart would say, "Tonights the night". Especially with a fire in the fire bowl out back.

That's what is missing from the Cheyanna: all the fleshy dark fruit. It is pretty one demensional. I'm looking forward to a Zin with Balls.

:)
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Dec 02, 2006 2:06 pm

Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:Just got in from the Grill and I sure don`t find the Lodi hot. Just into 2nd glass and some turkey scallopini!!

(edit) now on 2nd glass and think this could use some added tannin structure? Quite jammy but has some cola now showing up on the finish. I`m pretty impressed (so far). Nose has all that plum, blackberry, fleshy fruit.

Jammy? Barf. That's what I hate about hot climate wines, Bob.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

by Robert J. » Sat Dec 02, 2006 11:21 pm

Jenise wrote:Jammy? Barf. That's what I hate about hot climate wines, Bob.

One's barf is another's beef.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sun Dec 03, 2006 12:57 am

You know what it`s a day later and starting to show more on the finish. "Very good acidity" was one comment, "does not show any heat" thought another. The jammyness I noticed yesterday is not so obvious now that some parts are coming together. Opened another bottle for the grill servers so will see what develops!! Oh, I picked up a `04 Serghesio (Sonoma).
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Dec 03, 2006 12:36 pm

Robert J. wrote:
Jenise wrote:Jammy? Barf. That's what I hate about hot climate wines, Bob.

One's barf is another's beef.

I know. Not being critical; just telling Bob why I'm not interested. My other choice is to ignore his post entirely. Somehow I thought it was a little nicer to explain why I'm not interested, but I was probably wrong.
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

by Robert J. » Sun Dec 03, 2006 10:30 pm

No, no, no, you're absolutely right to post your opinion. That's what keeps these things spirited. I mean, if I could figure out a way to do it, I would start a skinny-dippin' forum just to keep things civil :shock:

Jammy zin and skinny-dippin'. What more could one want besides good, spirited argument?
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Mon Dec 04, 2006 12:02 am

On Wed, Sept 27 Randy B posted a very readable and interesting thread titled "Ravenswood is back on track with their `04 Zins". No-one paid much attention, thats OK happens frequently, so I thought as we have the `04 Lodi on the Grill`s winelist, I would give it a retaste. There are many keen Zinfers here hence my Open Mike!! If it is a bust, I would say so but I managed to obtain a few comments from fellow tasters around here and most were quite impressed for under $20 Cdn. It would be nice to taste some of the other zins in the wineries portfolio but not available up here at a fair price.

WTN:`04 Ravenswood Lodi Zinfandel.

Colour. Good medium depth, thin watery violet rim.

Nose. Blackberry, ripe fruits, spice, jammy, fleshy plum. Blend of 84% Zin, 14% P Sirah. Alc is 14%.

Palate. Think I have accurately described wines main characteristics above in other posts!! It did develope some nice grip overnight but there was something on the finish (the last glass) I was not too keen on. Very good acidity and not leafy and vegetal like a `98 I have notes on. Initially not too keen on the cola I mentioned and it was not an over-the-top monster I might have anticipated. Sure could have used some additional tannic structure but I enjoyed it!
no avatar
User

Mike B.

Rank

Ultra geek

by Mike B. » Mon Dec 04, 2006 4:28 pm

Hey Bob, I have a couple to contribute:

2001 EOS Zinfandel Dark, brooding purple colour. The wine had pushed about halfway up the cork, so I was a little concerned it might be cooked. Blackberries on the nose. A bit raisinated on the palate, confirming my suspicions. Still drinkable with blackberries, mocha and dark cherries on the palate, with light, dusty tannins.

2003 Peachy Canyon Incredible Red Bin 117 Ripe blackberries and cherries on the nose. Huge vanilla oak upon opening, but the fruit came forward with a little time. Sour black cherries and blackberries in the mouth. The oak tannins are a little too astringent, though.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Mon Dec 04, 2006 9:42 pm

I have past experience with P Canyon and think it is one for the cellar. Eos, love their P Sirah but not a Zin fan!!
no avatar
User

AaronW

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jul 27, 2006 7:45 pm

Just south of SLC

by AaronW » Mon Dec 04, 2006 9:47 pm

Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:I know that the weather up here calls for a hearty red so thought this Zin, maybe the proclaimed `04 vintage, might go down well this weekend. Many of you being dragged around the shopping malls so sneak off and grab a bottle! If the Lodi is not available, try one of the other appellations. Nothing like a good zin to wind down the day as the domestic staff get dinner ready!!!

Question for you, Bob,
Is the "Ravenswood Vintners Reserve" their QPR wine?
Just curious because I have a bottle and was wondering what to expect.
Thanks, Aaron.
"Wine can of their wits the wise beguile;
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile."

- Homer 900 B.C.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Mon Dec 04, 2006 10:39 pm

Aaron, not quite sure but checked the website and would seem so!!!
Next