The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2009 Domaine Fondreche Cuvee Persia

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Drew Hall

Rank

Wine guru

Mon May 26, 2008 8:07 am

Bel Air, Maryland

WTN: 2009 Domaine Fondreche Cuvee Persia

by Drew Hall » Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:30 am

Cotes du Ventoux.
Beautiful pure fruit made from 90% syrah and 10% mourvedre, this is a mouthful of silky decadence. Blackberry, black fruit, smoky meat, tar and sous bois flavors roll across the tongue. Modern styled but shows some garrigue character, this is a QPR at under $20.
Twas a Christmas gift from a friend at work.

Drew
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: WTN: 2009 Domaine Fondreche Cuvee Persia

by Jenise » Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:38 am

I am putting stuff purchased over the summer into the wine cellar right now, and see that the '10 of this was a purchase. I remember nothing about what attracted me to it, as I've not had the wine before. How prominent was the tar and sous bois? I know I have a different vintage but if that's the house style...these are characteristics I can tolerate in the background, but all by themselves they don't attract me.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Drew Hall

Rank

Wine guru

Mon May 26, 2008 8:07 am

Bel Air, Maryland

by Drew Hall » Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:02 am

I picked up subtle hints of both, Jenise. The wine is more modern in character with the expression of fruit it's prominent feature.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:18 pm

Any idea where the name Cuvee Persia came from? A reference to syrah/shiraz? (Although I see they have a Persia blanc as well)
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:46 pm

Rahsaan wrote:Any idea where the name Cuvee Persia came from? A reference to syrah/shiraz? (Although I see they have a Persia blanc as well)

None; but if I'd given one second's thought to what it might mean, I'd have passed! Other cuvees by the same producer are called Fayard and Nadal. Any clues there?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov