The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

POLL : At home which do you choose first, the wine or the food?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

In meal planning, which do you choose first, the wine or the food?

Most of the time, the food
74%
Most of the time, the wine
13%
About 50/50: I'm as likely to do one as the other
13%

Total votes : 38
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

POLL : At home which do you choose first, the wine or the food?

by Jenise » Fri Dec 01, 2006 1:32 pm

A looooong time ago when this poll question was first asked on this board, I know I chose the 50/50 option and best as I recall, so did most of the respondents. But I also remember thinking that at our house if the scale tipped 55/45 slightly more toward one or the other, then it was tipped toward wine.

Well, I've changed, as I realized this morning when I saw Bob Parsons' question about what plans we have for wine this weekend. Unless I'm entertaining or there's an Open Mike I plan to participate in, it's safe to say that I don't think of it until the day of, and that's after I plan my meal. I am now firmly in the food-first camp.

And it's not that the wine is any less important or that my attitude toward food has changed, because neither is the case. I guess I'm just no longer the kid in the candy store that I once was where having a well cellar is concerned. For one, my cellar more than doubled in size--there really is a wine match for every possible type of food on hand. And for another, my cellar has matured: there are many, many more wines ready to drink. It's also true that my learning curve has flattened out: I'm no longer driven in the way I once was to open wine X tonight because I just have to find out what's in that bottle and know more tomorrow than I did today. Now, even with a wine I've not had before, my understanding of what I'm likely to find there is much improved and I can patiently wait until the right meal to showcase it.
Last edited by Jenise on Fri Dec 01, 2006 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

Re: POLL re Meal planning: which do you choos first, the wine or the food?

by Howie Hart » Fri Dec 01, 2006 1:47 pm

I choose food first because, frankly I don't drink wine at most meals. Usually just on weekends, and even then it's usually food first, but with consideration for the wines in my cellar (most of which are home made). However, when I'm in the mood to open a sepcial bottle of that store-bought stuff, I select foods to match. :wink:
no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:38 pm

Ontario, Canada

by Paul B. » Fri Dec 01, 2006 1:59 pm

Today, for example, it will be the food deciding the wine. I made a vegetarian green curry yesterday and will be serving it over basmati rice with some baked sausages on the side. A real fusion of a dish, I know. The curry is medium-hot, so a tannic red was out of the question. The wine? Puddicombe Estate's Seyval Blanc, slightly off-dry.
http://hybridwines.blogspot.ca
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Fri Dec 01, 2006 2:01 pm

It's food first here. Even if it's a wine dinner, We ussually do the food first and plan the wines on that. There are exceptions to every rule, but I rarely go the other way.
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: POLL : At home which do you choose first, the wine or the food?

by Robin Garr » Fri Dec 01, 2006 2:18 pm

Jenise wrote:A looooong time ago when this poll question was first asked on this board, I know I chose the 50/50 option and best as I recall, so did most of the respondents.

Good topic, Jenise! Ideally, I'd probably say 70/30 food, but given the choices I'll pick "food first" because that choice certainly dominates here, for all the reasons you've stated so well.

I wouldn't say "food always," though, because there's still a fair number of cases when I have a bottle of something I'm just aching to try, in which case I'll make a dinner decision based on it.
no avatar
User

Lou Kessler

Rank

Doesn't buy green bananas

Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:20 pm

by Lou Kessler » Fri Dec 01, 2006 9:17 pm

In this house it's always food first, even when I barbeque what I barbeque has been chosen by my wife. Until I'm in charge of meals in the house that's the way it's going to be. It works, so no complaints. :)
no avatar
User

Tom N.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:17 pm

Soo, Ont.

by Tom N. » Fri Dec 01, 2006 9:41 pm

I concur. My wife does most of the cooking so I match the wine to the dish. When I cook, I will sometimes go to the Wine Lover Cooks and pick out the wine variety I am in the mood for, and then choose a recipe to match it, but that is no more than about 5% of the time. The beauty of a cellar is that I have wines to match just about any food. Bubbly wine is about the only major class of wine that I don't always have in cellar. I find it is the best match with Mexican.
Tom Noland
Good sense is not common.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sat Dec 02, 2006 8:23 am

Inspired by Jenise's question, I've set up a poll to match (subject to the space constraints) on the CompuServe/Netscape WineLovers Community, and will list it in Monday's Wine Advisor. If you'd like to add your opinion to that poll (remember that no registration or login is required), click to vote:

Do you usually choose ...
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sat Dec 02, 2006 2:01 pm

Robin, you know what makes this a good poll? Not one person has come back and said, "You didn't list my option!". Yet. :)
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

Re: POLL : At home which do you choose first, the wine or t

by Saina » Sat Dec 02, 2006 2:53 pm

A tough question. The wine selection here is abysmal. If I had the selection of any major city in Europe, I would say that I would choose the food first and match the wine with it - because, apart from formal tastings, I only drink at the table. Food and wine are pretty much inseperable for me. Sadly the state here is that there are only a limited amount of wines worth trying so I usually choose the wine first and make up a dinner around it.

On second thought, this might be better, because I suck as a cook! :lol:
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

by Ian Sutton » Sat Dec 02, 2006 4:47 pm

We've got a smallish (but I'd like to think) well-formed cellar - and maybe 2-3 possibilities for meal every evening.

Just by weight of numbers it's easier to match the wine to the food, rather than the other way round.

Of course some evenings we don't even try to match it. Eat the food, then open the wine.

regards

Ian
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Sat Dec 02, 2006 6:45 pm

Food first here. I will often get a craving for a particular dish or cuisine and just have to make it. Then I figure out what wine we have that will pair nicely.
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Sat Dec 02, 2006 8:21 pm

The reason why we're 50-50 here is because dear wife is off of wine for a while due to reflux. So I only drink a half bottle a night. Therefore there is a second half that I need to drink up the next night, and need to find food to go with it. From what I've heard, I'm not the only one in this situation.
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Thu Dec 07, 2006 1:20 pm

I am finishing a 1999 Opitz Pinot Noir (grapes are from Melissa Moravec at Casa Carneros). It is versatile enough to go with a number of dishes but I was pairing it with an organic portobello mushroom soup. Lately I've been picking out the wine first. I want to try some 1999 Volnays so I am choosing dishes that I think will work with those. I also want to open a Ridge Geyserville (I have limited experience with Lytton Springs and Ridge Paso Robles "Dusi" Zin but none with Geyserville). I purchased tri tip meat to have with the Geyserville. I'm not sure what wine will be up next after two Volnays and the Geyserville so may select the food first the week before Christmas. I'm tempted to do something with lamb or veal.