Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

It's About Thyme

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Ted Richards

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:00 pm

Toronto, Canada

It's About Thyme

by Ted Richards » Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:11 pm

Sorry for the title :D

I have a question about destemming thyme. I use fresh thyme a lot and I find that taking the leaves off is very time-consuming and fiddly, and I usually end up with some of the stems in the mix.

Has anyone figured out an easy method for doing it (doing thyme?).
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

Re: It's About Thyme

by Karen/NoCA » Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:56 pm

When you pick Thyme, snip off long, single stems. Grasp the uncut end, and pull backward toward the cut end. Leaves come right off. Takes no time at all to get what you need. If you have more time, cut a multiple stemmed section and just separate them, then proceed as above. Lately, I have seen recipes that call for putting the entire stem into the dish. I find it more work to pick it out later. Sometimes the leaves fall off during cooking, sometimes not.
When I cut my Thyme I try to cut down near the root. If you cut too far up, that cut stem will branch out multiple stems.
no avatar
User

Ted Richards

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:00 pm

Toronto, Canada

by Ted Richards » Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:33 pm

Karen/NoCA wrote:When you pick Thyme, snip off long, single stems. Grasp the uncut end, and pull backward toward the cut end. Leaves come right off. Takes no time at all to get what you need. If you have more time, cut a multiple stemmed section and just separate them, then proceed as above. Lately, I have seen recipes that call for putting the entire stem into the dish. I find it more work to pick it out later. Sometimes the leaves fall off during cooking, sometimes not.
When I cut my Thyme I try to cut down near the root. If you cut too far up, that cut stem will branch out multiple stems.

Thanks for the suggestion, but unfortunately, for the time being I have to rely on purchased thyme, since my home grown has not done well lately. I use the pulling backward technique, but the organic thyme I have been buying has thin stems so that the I'm more likely to break off the stem rather than removing the leaves. I'm really glad to see a recipe that uses whole time sprigs, since I don't have to fiddle with the leaves. Maybe I just need to find someone who sells thyme with more robust stems.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:47 pm

If the stems are so fine then just chop them fine; no one will notice. (Did I say that???) :twisted:
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:04 pm

I also chop the stems when they are green and fine...no problem. Sometimes I've even done it with the heavier stem.....once cooked it mixes right in with the food.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:13 pm

Ted Richards wrote:
Karen/NoCA wrote:When you pick Thyme, snip off long, single stems. Grasp the uncut end, and pull backward toward the cut end. Leaves come right off. Takes no time at all to get what you need. If you have more time, cut a multiple stemmed section and just separate them, then proceed as above. Lately, I have seen recipes that call for putting the entire stem into the dish. I find it more work to pick it out later. Sometimes the leaves fall off during cooking, sometimes not.

Thanks for the suggestion, but unfortunately, for the time being I have to rely on purchased thyme, since my home grown has not done well lately. I use the pulling backward technique, but the organic thyme I have been buying has thin stems so that the I'm more likely to break off the stem rather than removing the leaves. I'm really glad to see a recipe that uses whole time sprigs, since I don't have to fiddle with the leaves. Maybe I just need to find someone who sells thyme with more robust stems.

Right, the leaves don't always come off so clean. I only remove the leaves for fresh applications; in braises I always use whole stems--the thyme I grow sheds the leaves easily during cooking and fishing out a twig later is dead easy.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Frank Deis

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:20 pm

NJ

by Frank Deis » Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:01 pm

What Julia Child would say is -- make a bouquet garni, wrap it in cheesecloth with a string around it, and there's no fiddly stuff.

I am in my sixties but we sometimes go biking with friends about our age along the Delaware canal towpath.

Staying at Hotel du Village, we had a leek and potato soup with "too much thyme." That isn't what it was called but it is a fair description. I learned that for me, "too much thyme" is just about right, and I went home and more or less duplicated the soup. It is worth a try if you are a thyme lover. This was not pureed. Lumpy potato chunks, naturally the leeks dissolve, and the thyme flavor is there, brassy and brilliant.

My neighbors went to a famous restaurant in France where EVERYTHING had "too much thyme" including dessert. I'll have to write and ask them the name.

PS Bernard Loiseau -- tragically, he committed suicide. Could not see his own success. Google his name and find many recipes which include "Thym"