The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

How do I date Krug Grande Cuvee?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Stuart White

Rank

Just got here

Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:46 pm

How do I date Krug Grande Cuvee?

by Stuart White » Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:05 pm

I have had a 75cl bottle of Krug Grande Cuvee in my garage for about 15 years. Is there anyone who can help me work out exactly how old the champagne is and whether or not it should still be drinkable? Although I enjoy drinking different wines I'm not very knowledgeable about them and would appreciate some help. The labels are still intact but I can't see anything on them to give me any clues as to its age.
no avatar
User

Tom Troiano

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:22 pm

Massachusetts

Re: How do I date Krug Grande Cuvee?

by Tom Troiano » Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:36 pm

If you can post some digital pictures of the label(s) I'm sure someone could help.
Tom T.
no avatar
User

Jim Grow

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:31 am

Rockbridge Ohio

by Jim Grow » Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:37 pm

Stuart, Welcome to this great wine site. I have never had any Krug Champagne, very expensive, but I like aged Champagne and yours can certainly age, even several decades or more IF properly stored. Was this bottle kept in a cool, dark place and laying down? Cool is probably the most important word there. You hopefully have a wonderful wine there and let us all know how it was when you consume it.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:37 pm

What is the temperature like in your garage?

Do you live in Scotland? Florida?
no avatar
User

Victorwine

Rank

Wine guru

Thu May 18, 2006 9:51 pm

by Victorwine » Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:45 pm

I have had a 75cl bottle of Krug Grande Cuvee in my garage for about 15 years.

Possibly up to 20 years in the making (depending upon how many different vintages they went back to craft this cuvee). After skillfully blending the “final” cuvee probably maybe another 6 years until disgorgement and release. So I would say it is quite old (older than say 21 years old).

The following link might be helpful (if you could make out label color, size, shape, border or possible font size). Or when you open it examine the cork for a “V code” or numerical code.

http://winetomas.wordpress.com/2012/11/ ... nde-cuvee/

Salute
no avatar
User

Stuart White

Rank

Just got here

Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:46 pm

by Stuart White » Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:03 pm

Thank you all for your responses so far. The website recommended by Victorwine was very useful and probably ages my bottle to around 1993. In answer to some of the questions raised, I am in England so the garage is generally cool and the bottle has been laid down, certainly for most of the time anyway.
However, with a bright light behind the bottle I can see that there is some sediment floating around - is this bad news?
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:32 pm

Stuart White wrote:...However, with a bright light behind the bottle I can see that there is some sediment floating around - is this bad news?
It depends on the type of sediment. If it is light and fluffy and floats around in the bottle, it's a bad sign, indicating bacterial spoilage. If it's clear, small crystals, that settle out quickly, it's a good sign, indicating the wine was merely subjected to cold temperatures over time and tartrate crystals precipitated out of the wine - no harm done.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Victorwine

Rank

Wine guru

Thu May 18, 2006 9:51 pm

by Victorwine » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:59 pm

Hi Stuart and welcome to WLDG! Besides what Howie posted, (you are dealing with an “aged” Champagne) the sediment could just be a protein haze or just “yeast sediment” left behind. Some of the “best” wines I’ve tasted (sparkling or still) had sediment in the bottle.

Salute