The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTNs: wintertime

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Mark S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:28 pm

CNY

WTNs: wintertime

by Mark S » Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:01 pm

It was a good week to stay at home, indoors: the snow fell, it was Christmas and New Year's separated by a week, and I had off from work.

Comte Abbatucci, Ajaccio, cuvee Faustine, 2009
This is the red. They also make a white with the same name, I believe. Blend of 70% Sciaccarellu/30% Niellucciu. Light, electric red colored. Musky perfume aromas. Perfumed lingonberry, sweet horehound chew, finishing with gum notes and lemon curd. Really bright acidity will thrill your rockhound friends. This is interesting, but something I would want to drink sooner rather than later. A-/B+

Laleure-Piot, Pernand-Vergelesses, 'les Vergelesses', 2008
Looks a little dull and old colored pouring from the bottle, with an almost dull browning toward the edges. Sherry wood cask aromas, dull fruits. Sour cherry, candy straw, wood notes. Not a lot here, here.Doesn't feel like a keeper. Drink within the next 1-2 years. B

Aldo Conterno, Barolo, 2005
I know: young to be opening this, but I've had other 05's that can be popped n'poured. Stewy plums and leaves on the quiet nose. Has old sour cherry flowers, twigs and leaves, wood tannins...a bit simple and needs a few years. Very little fruit at all and a bit austere, with a short finish. Could be better in 5-6 years, but - thankfully - this was my one and only. B/B+

Brokenwood, Semillon, ILR Reserve, Hunter Valley, 2006
Sharp tartaric acid fumes. Aggressive and sharp tartaric acid, lime zest and lime pulp, along with a metal component (chrome? zinc?) on the finish. Nice in it's way. Like a cold slap in the face, bracingly refreshing. Bit of quinine here also. 11% A-

Nicolas Rossignol, Beaune, 2005
Bright pinot cherry color. Reductive stink upon opening, which goes away eventually. Somewhat simple cherry coughdrop, touch of wood, acids and minerals. Flavors fade a bit later in the day; seemed best about 2 hours in. Could use another layer of dimension to improve this, but this is not bad and I fail to see the complaints posted here about this producer and his wines. Looking forward to trying the 2010's from him. B+
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTNs: wintertime

by David M. Bueker » Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:39 am

A week away from work makes everything taste better!
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:51 pm

Who was complaining about Rossignol?
The Laleure-Piot sounds terrible (new producer to me)
I wish we saw more Oz Semillon around here.
no avatar
User

David Creighton

Rank

Wine guru

Wed May 24, 2006 10:07 am

ann arbor, michigan

by David Creighton » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:39 pm

interested in the different usages: summer, fall, winter, spring vs. the same words with 'time' added. i think the 'time'versions were common in kentucky when i was there but i also think the seasons without were more common near Philly where i grew up. any linguistic sociologists among us?
david creighton
no avatar
User

Ryan M

Rank

Wine Gazer

Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:01 pm

Atchison, KS

by Ryan M » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:00 am

Dale Williams wrote:The Laleure-Piot sounds terrible (new producer to me)

Funny, this thread came up when I searched for my own note on a Laleure-Piot wine I had over Thanksgiving. My experience was much more positive - a Chorey which I beleive has significant upside potential. I got it off of WTSO, and have a couple in the cellar to revisit in a few years.

Domaine Laleure Piot, Chorey-les-Beaune 2008
Opened for slow breathing about an hour before drinking. Cherry, accentuated blueberry, gamy notes, cloves, and glycerin. Very fine, delicate, but light, as if it's holding back. I suspect it will grow and gain depth with age, and I suggest checking back on it in 5 years or so. This could turn out to be something special. 3 Stars [11/21/12]
"The sun, with all those planets revolving about it and dependent on it, can still ripen a bunch of grapes as if it had nothing else to do"
Galileo Galilei

(avatar: me next to the WIYN 3.5 meter telescope at Kitt Peak National Observatory)