The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Gerard Bertrand Grand Terroir Corbieres 2010

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

WTN: Gerard Bertrand Grand Terroir Corbieres 2010

by Hoke » Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:58 pm

Just wrote this up for another venue and thought I'd share it here.

I was very impressed with the quality and style of this wine, as I was with Bertrand's Tautavel.

Gérard Bertrand Grand Terroir Corbières 2010 is a blend of 40% Grenache, 40% Syrah and 20% Mourvèdre---and the Mourvèdre here makes all the difference in the world. The fresh fruity vivacity of Grenache is instantly apparent; the plump blueberry and considerable sturdiness of Syrah fills out the fruit component while giving some structure; and the Mourvèdre adds that essential deep, dark, fresh-plowed-earth and wet leaves and mushroom funkiness, like the difference between boeuf bourguignonne and beef stew, like thick chunky-chewy preserves rather than jelly.

There is a distinct sauvage quality to this Corbières, something deep and dark and not-quite-tamed. It’s the Call of the Wild in a wine bottle. And it is irresistible.

This is, in the vernacular, a fruit bomb of a wine---but not at all in the way of a New World fruit bomb, because it’s not tricked out with lavish vanilla milkshake oak; it’s very much an Old World style of fruit bomb, a “Paulaner All Fruit” style with a little animale, relying on tannin and acidity for its underpinnings, a wine fully reflective of its Languedoc origins.

If you're interested in the entire article, with a slideshow of Corbieres, go here. http://www.examiner.com/article/in-the-land-of-the-pays-d-oc-g-rard-bertrand-grand-terroir-corbi-res-2010
'
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

Re: WTN: Gerard Bertrand Grand Terroir Corbieres 2010

by Brian K Miller » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:19 pm

Cool!

I really like the Tautavel as well!
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:23 pm

Gosh. Just went to Google Street View. Tautavel is BEAUTIFUL! :shock:
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:36 am

Hey, Hoke. A friend opened a bottle of this at his Playoffs party. It was very, very nice...and was on sale at the "better" local gocery store (Nugget Market) for $10!

Also had a glass of the Tauteval on friday that was quite delicious!
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:38 pm

Brian K Miller wrote:Hey, Hoke. A friend opened a bottle of this at his Playoffs party. It was very, very nice...and was on sale at the "better" local gocery store (Nugget Market) for $10!

Also had a glass of the Tauteval on friday that was quite delicious!

$10 for that Corbieres is a great price! Yes, I quite like the Tautavel too. The Corbieres definitely has that Mooorvedre funk which I like also. Just now tasting the Cigalus....mor "Rollandish" with phat fruit and vanilla oak.
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:35 pm

[quote="Hoke"
$10 for that Corbieres is a great price! Yes, I quite like the Tautavel too. The Corbieres definitely has that Mooorvedre funk which I like also. Just now tasting the Cigalus....mor "Rollandish" with phat fruit and vanilla oak.[/quote]

He makes A LOT of different wines. I imagine even M. Bertrand has to make a few "spoof" cuvees! :lol: