The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Forum maintenance downtime will continue off and on

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: Forum maintenance downtime will continue off and on

by Robin Garr » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:16 pm

Karen/NoCA wrote:I still cannot click on Friends and Fun in the drop down box unless I post something...after that, it appears in the drop down. anyone else having this problem?

I can't figure it out either, Karen. To be honest, for whatever reason I never trained myself to use the pulldown, so maybe I'm just not used to looking for it? I usually just click "Board Index" in the upper left and then just choose the forum I want to go to from the main page.

I don't like that it's not working, though! Let's keep trolling for other reports. Meantime, could you tell me what browser (Explorer, Chrome, Firefox) and computer operating system (Windows XP, WIndows 8, Mac OS X, etc.) you are using?
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:03 am

Robin Garr wrote:
Jeff Grossman/NYC wrote:The browser is unable to retain the login cookies. I have to login every time I visit.

I hope this is a temporary inconvenience, Jeff - I'm pretty sure it's because the temporary URL above doesn't coincide with the URL on your "cookies." As soon as we restore our URL the issue should be cleared.

Worked tonight.
no avatar
User

John Treder

Rank

Zinaholic

Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:03 pm

Santa Rosa, CA

by John Treder » Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:10 pm

About 20 users on line right now, and my goodness, it's slow! About 10 seconds to do anything that needs a page refresh.
John in the wine county
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

by Redwinger » Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:26 pm

John Treder wrote:About 20 users on line right now, and my goodness, it's slow! About 10 seconds to do anything that needs a page refresh.

Same here. It has been slooowwww for most of the day.
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:47 pm

Redwinger wrote:
John Treder wrote:About 20 users on line right now, and my goodness, it's slow! About 10 seconds to do anything that needs a page refresh.

We'll keep an eye on that. The tech spent some time yesterday optimizing the databases in an effort to give us maximum speed, but the sites are in a new environment, so it's a learning experience.

I should probably add that the forums generate no revenue for this mini-Internet empire :oops: , so continuing on a high-end server system that cost us mid-triple digits to maintain wasn't the most prudent business plan; we've taken them to a well-respected server system that costs us safely in double digits. This matters, and if we lose a little speed in the process, it may be a sacrifice necessary to keeping the forums at all.

But insane slows will have to be dealt with. :mrgreen:
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:12 pm

I think Karen's problem might resolve once we're able to stay logged in, as F & F doesn't show to non-registrants. So if Karen looks at the pulldown upon arrival but before logging in, which she would have to do in order to post, then it makes sense that F & F only shows after she's posted something.

The slow speeds today are PAINFUL. Came to post a new thread and I'm giving up.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

by Redwinger » Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:56 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Redwinger wrote:

We'll keep an eye on that. The tech spent some time yesterday optimizing the databases in an effort to give us maximum speed, but the sites are in a new environment, so it's a learning experience.

I should probably add that the forums generate no revenue for this mini-Internet empire :oops: , so continuing on a high-end server system that cost us mid-triple digits to maintain wasn't the most prudent business plan; we've taken them to a well-respected server system that costs us safely in double digits. This matters, and if we lose a little speed in the process, it may be a sacrifice necessary to keeping the forums at all.

But insane slows will have to be dealt with. :mrgreen:

The speed has improved in the last hour or so here north of the creek.
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:03 pm

Jenise wrote:I think Karen's problem might resolve once we're able to stay logged in.

Jenise, the stay-logged-in issue has been resolved since Monday morning. Are you by any chance still showing the cliffwoodorganic.com URL at the top of your page? If so, you should refresh your browser cache. Click
index.php
to get back here, and as long as you see the wineloverspage.com URL, you should be able to click "Stay logged in" when you log in and have it stick.

The slow speeds today are PAINFUL. Came to post a new thread and I'm giving up.

I hope it gets better. We'll do all we can. But as I posted above, somewhat slower response time may be part of the price we have to pay for making it financially feasible for us to continue offering the forum. I hope all our forum friends will bring patience to the party. :(
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:36 pm

Problem solved Robin...you can sleep tonight! :) I realized I had to login everytime I came in. Once I did that, It was fine. Now that we are getting back to normal I will log in automatically and hope that solves the rest of the problem. Thanks for all your work! Having a son who owns his own business in the technology world, I know the frustrations he has. In fact, when I am having troubles, I never ask him for help until I am ready to kill my computer. He is more than happy to help by that time saying he wants me around for a few more years! :D
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:14 pm

Things are way too slow and I continually have to sign in. I too have stopped posting notes etc here and spending less time in this space. It is a real pity.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:00 pm

Bob Parsons Alberta wrote:Things are way too slow and I continually have to sign in. I too have stopped posting notes etc here and spending less time in this space. It is a real pity.

Give it a few days, Bob. This too, shall pass.

And in the meantime, it might be a good practice to recognize patience as a virtue. :mrgreen:
Previous