The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: assorted wines (Bdx, Burg, Loire, Italy, Saar)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: assorted wines (Bdx, Burg, Loire, Italy, Saar)

by Dale Williams » Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:34 pm

Betsy made a quick bouillabaisse, I went quirky with the 2010 Foreau Vouvray Sec. Iinitially gave me that "is it corked?" Chenin headfake, but quickly proved clean. Citrus and tonic water, good acids, a bit stern, good wine but not as appealing as the Huet secs to me. B/B+

Friday we went to a small dinner party locally. Our Franco-Belgian hosts greeted us with radishes (with butter and salt) and the 2000 Ellner “Cuvee Prestige” Champagne. Bigger/fuller/yeasty style of bubbly, I generally prefer a crisper/lighter style as an apertif, but this is quite good. B+/B

First course was salad with smoked magret breast, Marc served the 2001 Ch. Gloria. This is showing very well indeed, cassis overlaid with tobacco, cedar, and earth. Medium bodied, silky texture, enough tannin that I’m in no hurry on my bottles. B+/A-

Main course was duck confit, with a pair of gratins- potato/parsnip/celeriac, and a squash gratin.
1991 Jadot “Clos des Couchereaux” Beaune 1er
Clean, bright black cherry fruit with a hint of herb, this got a bit volatile as night went on. Not bad, but I should drink other bottle soon. B

2005 Farina Barolo
Lighter styled, some tannins, red fruits with a little vanilla and violet. A bit clunky and short on finish. B-/C+

We finished with a cheese plate, marzipan, and an almond cake

Saturday I made butter poached lobster, stirfried Shanghai cabbage, and green beans in duck fat. Wine was the 2008 Vincent and Sophie Morey “Les Charmois” St Aubin 1er. Crisp, minerally, just a hint of oak, good length, firm. With air a hint of butterscotch. Very good, I’d age except who knows these days. B+/A-

Sunday Betsy had an all day seminar while I spoke at a mass and then led a meeting, with no time to cook I picked up Indian food- mysore dosas (thicker crepes than regular paper dosa), chicken saag, matar paneer, garlic naan, samosas. Wine was the 2009 Zilliken ‘Saarburger Rausch” Riesling Kabinett. Creamy and a bit tropical, not showing alot, I remembered this as having good acids for 2009, but this seems to be in hibernation. B- for now, expect to get better.

Monday also had little shopping/cooking time, theme was “Tuscany, Tokyo, and Tamil Nadu”, with takeout eggplant rollatini, hiyayakko, sauteed arugula, sambar, and matar paneer. Wine was the 1994 Montevertine “Il Sodaccio” . This is quite mature and probably on downslope, but still very enjoyable. There is some black cherry fruit, but it’s mostly saddle leather, brush, and earth. Good acids, resolved tannins, this still gets a B/B+ from me, but wish I had drunk maybe 3-5 years ago.

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent
wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a
party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of
objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: assorted wines (Bdx, Burg, Loire, Italy, Saar)

by David M. Bueker » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:21 pm

Where do you buy Foreau?
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Andrew Bair

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:16 pm

Massachusetts

by Andrew Bair » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:39 pm

Hi Dale -

Thank you for the fascinating notes.

I enjoyed the 2009 Zilliken Kabinett a couple of years back, and am not surprised it it seems to be closing up now.

Never had Farina's Barolo - based on your note, I probably haven't missed anything. Then again, a more traditional Barolo from 2005 could well be shut down right now. I don't know where Farina stand in the Barolo spectrum, but it sounds like they are smack in the middle based on your impressions of a lighter-styled wine with vanilla notes standing out.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

by Dale Williams » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:51 am

David,
this came from JJ Buckley, but I have bought fair amount of Foreau (though mostly sweet or sparkling) at PJs in NYC. Currently CSW has the 02 petillant, I've bought but not picked up yet, I anticipate a Huet/Naudin duel in near future.

Andrew,
Farina seems to make approachable wines in a mid modern style, at least when on sale they are quite cheap. I did like the 2001 more than this, and still cellar a couple.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:01 am

Dale Williams wrote:Currently CSW has the 02 petillant, I've bought but not picked up yet, I anticipate a Huet/Naudin duel in near future.

$35...I miss the days of $22.99 Vouvray Brut.

At $35 I can get some good Champagne if I shop carefully.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

by Dale Williams » Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:43 pm

Sure, I wish it was cheaper, but current releases of both Huet and Foreau are still mid-twenties. 2002 was a very good vintage for Huet, so look forward to trying the Foreau. Not many 2002 Champagnes one can find for $35, and besides for me bubbly Chenin scratches a different itch. If I want to save money, Pinon NV in both guises is still $20.
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:26 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:
Dale Williams wrote:Currently CSW has the 02 petillant, I've bought but not picked up yet, I anticipate a Huet/Naudin duel in near future.

$35...I miss the days of $22.99 Vouvray Brut.

At $35 I can get some good Champagne if I shop carefully.

Pinon's sparklers are still good value and I got a bottle of Huet's 2005 Brut Reserve from Crush last year for something like $25.99 IIRC.

Mark Lipton