The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: '04 Nigl GV, '98 La Vieille Cure

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: '04 Nigl GV, '98 La Vieille Cure

by Dale Williams » Sun Apr 09, 2006 5:15 pm

Betsy played matinee Sat, but had evening off; I shopped for dinner while she worked. I got some king crab legs as an appetizer, and served them warm with melted butter. Wine was the 2004 Nigl Kremser Freiheit Gruner Veltliner. Big step back in the right direction after the 2003 (which seemed more about 2003 than about Nigl or GV), with a nose of English peas and a hint of pepper. This one has has citrusy (lemon-grapefruit) flavors on the palate, good acidity, and a nice stony edge to the finish. Not profound GV, but a good deal at $13, think this is a vintage to try the Privat. B+/B

For the main course I had marinated butterflied leg of lamb in garlic, rosemary, and thyme; I grilled the lamb as well as some yellow squash. Wine was the 1998 La Vieille Cure (Fronsac) from a half-bottle. Fairly mature nose, some flowers and earth over aromas of crushed raspberries. On the palate it's darker, with rich black plum fruit. This is a medium-bodied Bordeaux, not especially complex but with air there are some hints of vanilla, spice, and dead leaves.Nice ready to go Right Banker (at least in 375), and very enjoyable. B+

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.  
no avatar
User

Marc D

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:44 pm

Bellingham WA

Pre-thread Message

by Marc D » Wed Apr 12, 2006 4:51 pm

think this is a vintage to try the Privat

Dale, I would be very interested in your notes or anyone else's on the Nigl GV Privat or the Alte Reben in 2004. I have been very happy with the handful of Gruners from 2004 so far. Admittedly most of these have been the lighter weight, citrusy style rather than the more concentrated bigger versions. I did try the Salomon Von Stein reserve recently which although a little disjointed at present was very good. 2004 may be indeed a good vintage to buy some of the GV heavyweights for the cellar.

Thanks for all your tn's, always enjoy reading them.
Marc Davis
no avatar
User

robs_r

Rank

Wine geek

Thu Apr 06, 2006 7:31 am

Pre-thread Message

by robs_r » Thu Apr 13, 2006 4:08 am

Hi Marc!

I have tasted the '04 whites last summer in Senftenberg in Nigls wonderful new tasting room and was very pleased. They all seemed very clean and focussed with bright acidity. Very classy.

I bought some GV Senftenberger Piri and some Privat. They are still slumbering in my cellar.

I guess you can't go wrong with Martin Nigls wines.

Regards, Robert
Robert Ruzitschka
Vienna, Austria
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Pre-thread Message

by Jenise » Thu Apr 13, 2006 12:03 pm

Piling on:

Opened a 99 Nigl Privat GV for friends on Sunday based on recent experience with the brilliant 99 Alzinger. Delicious wine, but perhaps a bit dull at the moment compared to the Alzinger's multi-faceted showing. I'll wait another couple years on my last bottle.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Marc D

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:44 pm

Bellingham WA

Pre-thread Message

by Marc D » Thu Apr 13, 2006 2:18 pm

robs_r wrote:Hi Marc!

I have tasted the '04 whites last summer in Senftenberg in Nigls wonderful new tasting room and was very pleased. They all seemed very clean and focussed with bright acidity. Very classy.

I bought some GV Senftenberger Piri and some Privat. They are still slumbering in my cellar.

I guess you can't go wrong with Martin Nigls wines.

Regards, Robert

Thank you, Robert. Do you have a favorite winery in Austria, one you buy from every year? For me the wines from Brundlmayer and Gobelsburg from Kamptal offer very great quality and maybe better value than the great wines from the Wachau, which are very pricey over here.

I have recently tried some of the wines from Heidi Schrock and found them quite delicious. The dry furmint and the muscat were both great, and made me want to taste through the whole line up.

Best,
Marc Davis
no avatar
User

robs_r

Rank

Wine geek

Thu Apr 06, 2006 7:31 am

Pre-thread Message

by robs_r » Fri Apr 14, 2006 3:24 am

Do you have a favorite winery in Austria, one you buy from every year? For me the wines from Brundlmayer and Gobelsburg from Kamptal offer very great quality and maybe better value than the great wines from the Wachau, which are very pricey over here.

Hi Marc!

Actually we don't buy the same wine every year. Here in Vienna, we are quite priviledged to have a lot of wine areas within an hours driving distance. It is possible to get good stuff directly from a lot of small producers at very reasonable prices (think of 5€ to 10€). And don't forget that I can visit a couple of quite good producers by subway!
Anyway, I rarely (well, almost never) buy the big guns from the Wachau. I just can't afford them. We bought quite a couple of bottles from the Donauland wine area in the last years, very fresh Veltliners and nice Rieslings. I have no idea what is available to you from that area.

With respect to Heide Schröck - I am afraid I never had a single wine from her but she seems to be quite popular overseas.

As you surely have realized, I am talking exclusively about white wine. Considering the Reds, I am still not totally convinced. There is a lot of good stuff available but from a QPR point of view it is a lot easier with the whites. I have to admit that I drink more reds from outside Austria. Shame on me.

Regards, Robert
Robert Ruzitschka
Vienna, Austria