The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: "Bring a blind bottle" tasting (+I start giving points)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

WTN: "Bring a blind bottle" tasting (+I start giving points)

by Saina » Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:57 am

I think I'll try a radical change to my TNs and start giving points. Points, no matter what scale is used, always seem a bit arbitrary so I thought I'd make my scale go from -∞ to +∞.

2010 Ostler Riesling Blue House Vines Waitaki Valley - New Zealand, South Island, Otago, Waitaki Valley
10,5% abv. Served blind: a huge amount of lime but still an obvious and strong Riesling profile to it. I don't have any info on sugar and acidity, but it seems dryish (if thinking in German terms, not quite as dry as a trocken but perhaps slightly dryer than feinherb) but concentrated, cool climate style though a little obvious in its charms. But I certainly won't turn down a glass or three of this. Good stuff! +35 points.

2010 Muhr-van der Niepoort Grüner Veltliner Prellenkirchen - Austria, Niederösterreich, Carnuntum
11,5% abv. Mostly GV with about 10% Riesling. Served blind. Right after opening it smelled like ozone/swimming pool. It became intensely mineral, and finally after a couple hours, intensely perfumed. Light but intense and delightfully citric acidity. Nice! +60 points.

2007 Pyramid Valley Sémillon Hille Vineyard - New Zealand, South Island, Marlborough, Brancott Valley
This wine continues to amaze me. It has strong capsicum/chilli pepper aromas but it also has a richness (13,5% abv) I haven't seen in Hunter Valley Semillons. Yet it seems to have a general sameness to HVs in being bright, crunchy, green in a delicious way and bracing in structure. A challenging wine for sure, but now on my third taste I feel somewhat sure enough of myself to say that I love this wine and that I wish I had several cases of it. And the strangest thing was how well it stood up to the stinkiest old Camembert I could find! No wine previously has survived a direct hit of properly old, superstinky Camembert. OMFlying Spaghetti Monster! My first +100 point wine!

2009 Pyramid Valley Pinot Noir Growers Collection Cowley Family Vineyard - New Zealand, South Island, Marlborough
Two bottles served blind and two completely different wines: one was an ugly stereotype of NZ PN as it was all chocolate covered cherries and oaky sweetness and harsh acidity. The other bottle smelled absolutely lovely: some oak, but not enough to worry me even though I am extremely oakaphobic, lovely bright Pinosity, fresh and lifted aromas; grippy and the high (14,5% abv) alcohol is not noticeable. How can wines from the same case and both screwcapped be so different without any signs of the closure having failed in either bottle? Hopefully the second bottle is the "typical" one because I really liked that one! It was one of the most interesting Pinots outside of Burgundy that I have tried. The first bottle was -856 points the second I'm not sure about. Maybe +72, maybe +73 but certainly closer to +72. Georg Cantor proved that there are several sizes of infinities and that the infinite set of real numbers is larger than the infinite set of natural numbers, so isn't this awesome! If I give the second +72.32points I can have a whole new, even bigger infinity that I can play with!

Clos Roche Blanche "Pif" 2010 -Loire, Toiraine
2^43,112,609 − 1 points. Because this is prime stuff.

I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: "Bring a blind bottle" tasting (+I start giving points)

by David M. Bueker » Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:19 am

You are once more exemplifying the problems with the -∞ to +∞ scale, as you completely ignore the negative portion of the scale.

Not to mention that I have no context for how my scores line up with yours. How do I convert from your scale to the 20 or 100 point scale? :mrgreen:
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:53 pm

The Blue Crab State

by Jon Peterson » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:41 am

Otto Nieminen wrote:I think I'll try a radical change to my TNs and start giving points. Points, no matter what scale is used, always seem a bit arbitrary so I thought I'd make my scale go from -∞ to +∞.

Otto, is that scale negative infinity to positive infinity? I just want to make sure I'm reading it right.
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:35 pm

David, hopefully score inflation won't happen! :D

Jon, that's right.
no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:22 pm

Indiana, USA

by Sam Platt » Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:23 pm

Otto,

For some engineering applications infinity is defined as 7. Why not just make your scale -7 to +7. The math will be much easier. :)
Sam

"The biggest problem most people have is that they think they shouldn't have any." - Tony Robbins
no avatar
User

Charles Weiss

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Mar 21, 2006 6:47 pm

Boston

by Charles Weiss » Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:58 pm

Sam Platt wrote:Otto,

For some engineering applications infinity is defined as 7. Why not just make your scale -7 to +7. The math will be much easier. :)

So the so-called 7 and 7 (Seagram's 7 and 7-Up) would be the best thing you could drink! Presumably infinity x 2.
Charles
no avatar
User

Sue Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:33 pm

Auckland, NZ

by Sue Courtney » Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:01 pm

Otto Nieminen wrote:I think I'll try a radical change to my TNs and start giving points. Points, no matter what scale is used, always seem a bit arbitrary so I thought I'd make my scale go from -∞ to +∞.

2010 Ostler Riesling Blue House Vines Waitaki Valley - New Zealand, South Island, Otago, Waitaki Valley
10,5% abv. Served blind: a huge amount of lime but still an obvious and strong Riesling profile to it. I don't have any info on sugar and acidity, but it seems dryish (if thinking in German terms, not quite as dry as a trocken but perhaps slightly dryer than feinherb) but concentrated, cool climate style though a little obvious in its charms. But I certainly won't turn down a glass or three of this. Good stuff! +35 points.

Good scoring system!
Here's some info on the Ostler: Alcohol 10.8%; Residual sugar 9.6g/L; titratable Acidity 8.5g/L
http://www.ostlerwine.co.nz/product-12-page-0.html

I always wonder, "Why?" when the abv on the bottle and the abv on the tech notes differ. I guess they round up or down for the bottle label. Legally some variation on the bottle is allowed.
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:24 am

Damn you, Otto, and your befuddled scoring system! :P I have yet to see a Pyramid Valley wine despite living in Canterbury for 3 months last year (my one attempted visit ran afoul of harvest for them), yet you can get their wines in Finland! Bloody unfair, I say. Nice sounding wines, though.

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:18 am

Sue, at least in Finland wines may only show x,0% or x,5% abv on the label. Which of the two PV Pinots sounds like the real thing?

I find this scoring system too restrictive. I may have to introduce complex numbers into the system.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:17 am

Points are just imaginary numbers. I vote we give all wines scores as multiuples of the square root of -1.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:05 am

David M. Bueker wrote:Points are just imaginary numbers. I vote we give all wines scores as multiuples of the square root of -1.

That sounds complex, David.

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:22 pm

Indiana, USA

by Sam Platt » Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:39 pm

Mark Lipton wrote:That sounds complex, David.

Pun noted.
Sam

"The biggest problem most people have is that they think they shouldn't have any." - Tony Robbins