Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.
User

Gabriel Geller

Rank

'So-called' wine expert

Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:46 pm

Jerusalem, Israel

TNs: 1848 Syrah 10, Cabernet Sauvignon 09, Cabernet Franc 10

by Gabriel Geller » Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:13 am

I've just tasted now for the first time the Syrah by 1848 winery, the fairly new boutique label of the Shor family's Zion winery. Will probably taste the 7th Generation 2009 CabSav tomorrow and will update my post then.

1848, Fifth Generation, Syrah 2010: A blend of 85% Syrah, 9% Merlot and 6% Petite Sirah aged for 14 months in oak barrels. Deep clean purple with on the nose violets, saddle leather, cigar tobacco, raspberries and a hint of boysenberries clearly showing Syrah and some Petite Sirah characteristics but I wouldn't be surprised if someone mistaken it for a Cabernet Franc (nose-wise only). Medium to full-bodied with on first attack raspberries, blueberries and freshly cracked pepper going on to show some cranberries on the mid-palate as well as notes of cloves and licorice with roasted meat, dried herbs and black pepper with almost chewy tannins coating the mouth on the fairly long finish. A very nice, very well-made old world style Syrah, I really like it and would be quite interesting to see how it will show in 5-6 years. Could use a bit more acid. 13.5% Abv.

Best,

GG
Last edited by Gabriel Geller on Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
User

Gabriel Geller

Rank

'So-called' wine expert

Jerusalem, Israel

Re: TN: 1848 Syrah 2010 & Cabernet Sauvignon 2009 coming soon

by Gabriel Geller » Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:01 pm

So I just tasted the CabSav:

1848, Seventh Generation, Cabernet Sauvignon 2009: So this their most recently released wine of the upper level series "7th Generation". A blend of 86% Cabernet Sauvignon, 8% Petite Sirah and 6% Merlot, aged 18 months in oak barrels. Dark, almost impenetrable purple with on the nose black currants, black berries, cedar box and spices. Full-bodied with good extraction on the palate ripe but not overripe black currants and blackberries as well as graphite, earthy minerals, good acid, peppermint-flavored dark chocolate and pipe tobacco with, like the Syrah, mouth-coating chewy tannins rising on the very long finish. 14.5% Abv. Excellent wine, showing elegance,very french in character, IMHO will age well for quite a few years, my guess being 2018. If I could address this wine as a person I would tell "him": Welcome! :)

Best,

GG
Last edited by Gabriel Geller on Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Yossie Horwitz

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:27 pm

NYC

Re: TN: 1848 Syrah 2010 & Cabernet Sauvignon 2009 coming soon

by Yossie Horwitz » Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:22 pm

Gabriel - I tasted a bunch of thier new wines as well, obviously including the Cab Franc. Do you know how the labels work for them now. It looks like the Special Reserve, Reserve, 7th Gen, 5th Gen and 3rd Gen, but I wasn't sure. Do you have a complete lineup of the different wines in each of the labels?
Sign up for my weekly newsletter on wines, wineries & other oenophilic goodies at http://www.yossiescorkboard.com
User

Gabriel Geller

Rank

'So-called' wine expert

Jerusalem, Israel

TNs: 1848 Syrah 2010 & Cabernet Sauvignon 2009

by Gabriel Geller » Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:58 pm

Yossie:

I know that they are planning on releasing wines in all 1-8 Generations label, the higher the better. They decide under which label upon the quality of the grapes and the amount of time the wine spent in the barrel. As far as I know, currently available are 2nd, 5th and 7th Generations.

I think that both the Syrah and Cabernet Franc are 5th Generation, Rosé, Cabernet Sauvignon/Merlot blend as well as the White blend ("White Varietals") are 2nd Generation and the 2009 Cabernet Sauvignon is 7th Generation. The 8th I think, though I'm not 100% sure will replace the "Special Reserve" series and the new wines are scheduled to be released soon.

I will hopefully taste the Cabernet Franc this coming Sunday and will report back, the wines (exclusively 5th and 7th Generations) will be available starting next week and will be reasonably priced despite being of high quality. I'm happy and impressed as these are really good, well-crafted wines and well-priced with Badatz Hechsher.

Best,

GG
no avatar
User

Elie Poltorak

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:05 pm

Re: TNs: 1848 Syrah 2010 & Cabernet Sauvignon 2009

by Elie Poltorak » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:15 am

Gabriel Geller wrote:Yossie:

I know that they are planning on releasing wines in all 1-8 Generations label, the higher the better. They decide under which label upon the quality of the grapes and the amount of time the wine spent in the barrel. As far as I know, currently available are 2nd, 5th and 7th Generations.

I think that both the Syrah and Cabernet Franc are 5th Generation, Rosé, Cabernet Sauvignon/Merlot blend as well as the White blend ("White Varietals") are 2nd Generation and the 2009 Cabernet Sauvignon is 7th Generation. The 8th I think, though I'm not 100% sure will replace the "Special Reserve" series and the new wines are scheduled to be released soon.

I will hopefully taste the Cabernet Franc this coming Sunday and will report back, the wines (exclusively 5th and 7th Generations) will be available starting next week and will be reasonably priced despite being of high quality. I'm happy and impressed as these are really good, well-crafted wines and well-priced with Badatz Hechsher.

Best,

GG

7 separate lines? Sounds like a recipe for confusion!
User

Gabriel Geller

Rank

'So-called' wine expert

Jerusalem, Israel

Re: TNs: 1848 Syrah 10, Cabernet Sauvignon 09, Cabernet Franc 10

by Gabriel Geller » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:09 am

Just tasted:

1848, Fifth Generation, Cabernet Franc 2010: 85% Cabernet Franc, 8% Cabernet Sauvignon & 7% Petit Verdot aged for 14 months in oak barrels. Dark cherry garnet with purple reflections with on the nose dried rose petals, ripe plums and freshly cracked pepper. Medium, perhaps medium to full the mouth features on first attack raspberries, spicy plums, fresh bell pepper, nice acid, olives and a hint of black coffee with more spicy soft tannins lingering on the somewhat vegetal yet long finish. A very spicy but a nice Cabernet Franc, very well-priced. A quite valid yet less powerful, more elegant alternative to the Carmel Appellation CF.

Best,

GG
User

Gabriel Geller

Rank

'So-called' wine expert

Jerusalem, Israel

Re: TNs: 1848 Syrah 2010 & Cabernet Sauvignon 2009

by Gabriel Geller » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:22 am

Elie Poltorak wrote:7 separate lines? Sounds like a recipe for confusion!

Yup, and Royal will never let them come up with a name such as 8th Generation in the States...

Still, it's by far not as confusing as Or Haganuz' line up.
User

David Raccah

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:18 am

Bay Area, CA

Re: TNs: 1848 Syrah 10, Cabernet Sauvignon 09, Cabernet Franc 10

by David Raccah » Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:12 pm

Yeah but the Or Haganuz is not that interesting except for three at labels at most.
Checkout http://www.kosherwinemusings.com for my blogs on the world of kosher wines and follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/kosherwinemuse.