Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Breakfast for 80

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Breakfast for 80

by Jenise » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:34 pm

Christina Georgina wrote:Are you having food items donated ? Not sure you can do your meal for $5.00 and include fresh fruit and all the rest you propose.
In any event, those large, electric roasters may ease your oven crunch. The ham, for sure , could be done in one. Have never used said roaster for something like strata but have used them for industrial servings of lasagna which worked. For eggs, would look for a non-stick interior. At the very least they work very well as warming ovens.

I love planning large # events but have only gone as high as 60 for a do it myself event. Good luck

Nope, no donations. I bought the ham, so $70 has been spent and that leaves me $330 for paper goods, fruit, eggs, potatoes, bread, flour, sugar and the rest, and with Costco and Cash and Carry around that will go pretty far.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

John F

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat May 20, 2006 3:50 am

by John F » Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:59 am

Jenise wrote:
John F wrote:Can't go wrong with poached eggs done to personal specifications

For 80? I'd kill myself. ;)

My sarcasm did not come through! I was in a certain mood at the time....and I was sitting there thinking what is the worst possible suggestion for a large group breakfast?
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:19 pm

John, thanks for the clarification. I decided you've been breakfasting in too many high end hotels lately. ;)
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:59 pm

Jenise wrote:John, thanks for the clarification. I decided you've been breakfasting in too many high end hotels lately. ;)

For my part, I figured that he'd been breakfasting on Psilocybes a bit too much of late. :twisted:

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:47 pm

I would do a potato and cheddar cheese fritatta with optional mushrooms, jalapeno, zucchini, onions etc. - whatever you can budget.

A square of that along with a slice of the ham will make a balanced breakie and then you need a starch, which the suggestions of muffins will cover, and some fresh fruit.

Other options all require on the spot cooking - mine can all be done ahead and shoved in the warming ovens, and they don't need additional condimenst aside from S&P - oh wait - you guys are American. Better have some catsup/ketchup handy, and some Tabasco.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:00 pm

oh wait - you guys are American. Better have some catsup/ketchup handy, and some Tabasco

Oh, that is hilarious...throw us all into one pot and give us a ketchup/Tabasco label. :P Now let's see, just where is my ketchup!
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:16 pm

Karen/NoCA wrote:
oh wait - you guys are American. Better have some catsup/ketchup handy, and some Tabasco

Oh, that is hilarious...throw us all into one pot and give us a ketchup/Tabasco label. :P Now let's see, just where is my ketchup!

Yeah, I'm just sitting here in my tuque laughing away.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:26 pm

Jeff Grossman/NYC wrote:
Karen/NoCA wrote:Oh, that is hilarious...throw us all into one pot and give us a ketchup/Tabasco label. :P Now let's see, just where is my ketchup!

Yeah, I'm just sitting here in my tuque laughing away.

Be gentle ... the peoples of the 51st state tend to be touchy ... :mrgreen:
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:52 am

Bill's right, though; I'll bet if I put some hot sauce out at least half the people would use it. Including me. ;)
Previous