The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Tablas, Dunn, Corbin, Faiveley, Gigondas, Chianti

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jay Labrador

Rank

J-Lab's in da house!

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:34 am

Manila, Philippines

WTN: Tablas, Dunn, Corbin, Faiveley, Gigondas, Chianti

by Jay Labrador » Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:58 am

A couple of wines at Premium Wine Exchange.

Tablas Creek Esprit de Beaucastel 2005 - The color showed a slight brick at the rim but the core was still pretty dark. There were some traces of Beaucastel’s signature barnyard scent but this was rather subdued so earthy would be a more apt description. Coffee, cocoa powder and ripe berries show right away but extended airing brings out some roast meat as well. Well balanced, with some fresh acidity. This still has some firm tannins so I would think a little more aging might be in order. Some limited upside potential might warrant another two years of aging. Still, an excellent wine.

Tablas Creek Esprit de Beaucastel 2005 by jaylabrador.winesteward, on Flickr

Dunn Howell Mountain 2006 - Very dark and youthful. Chocolate on the nose and chocolate as well on the palate. Sweet and rich, this is still a baby as it’s all about the fruit without any of the characteristics of age. Showing very well but needs a lot of time to make it more interesting. Still, can be enjoyed now, preferably with a grilled steak.

Dunn Howell Mountain 2006 by jaylabrador.winesteward, on Flickr

Chateau Corbin St. Emilion Grand Cru Classe 2010 - Extremely dark and tight. The wine requires hours in the decanter before it’s ready. There was a pronounced oakiness and an atypical caramel sweetness to the wine; both of which do not find favor with me. It was also exceedingly tannic. A check with the label showed 15% alcohol which you would expect for a Barossa Shiraz or California cult wine but definitely not Bordeaux. If this were served to me blind I probably would have guessed California. To be honest, I did not enjoy it.

Chateau Corbin St Emilion GCC 2010 by jaylabrador.winesteward, on Flickr

The alcohol in the Corbin must have done something to me as I couldn't write any coherent notes after two glasses of the St. Emilion.

Domaine Faiveley Nuits St Georges 1er Cru Aux Vignerondes 2010 - Smoky, rich and dense. Good length as well. Quite approachable.

Faiveley Nuits St Georges Aux Vignerondes 1er Cru by jaylabrador.winesteward, on Flickr

Les Pallieres Terrasse du Diable Gigondas 2010 - . All I could write was “chocolate-covered cherries.” Aside from that, I do remember it had a lightish hue and had a dried herb quality to it as well.

Terrasse du Diable Les Pallieres Gigondas 2010 by jaylabrador.winesteward, on Flickr

Isole e Olena Chianti Classico 2007 - HIghish acidity that cried out for food.

Isole e Olena Chianti Classico 2007 by jaylabrador.winesteward, on Flickr

After six hours of this with some pizza and buffalo wings we went over to Kiplings for another hour and some very good 12 year old Highland Park and Laphroaig Triple Wood. Not a bad afternoon.
Three be the things I shall never attain:
Envy, content, and sufficient champagne.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Tablas, Dunn, Corbin, Faiveley, Gigondas, Chianti

by David M. Bueker » Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:37 am

Interesting notes. Thank you Jay.

I've generally found 2007 Chianti to be lower than usual in acid, but have not tasted the Isole.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jay Labrador

Rank

J-Lab's in da house!

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:34 am

Manila, Philippines

by Jay Labrador » Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:42 am

David M. Bueker wrote:Interesting notes. Thank you Jay.

I've generally found 2007 Chianti to be lower than usual in acid, but have not tasted the Isole.

It's possible my tasting ability was just completely shot to pieces by this point or the previous wines were much bigger that the Chianti just seemed acidic.
Three be the things I shall never attain:
Envy, content, and sufficient champagne.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:47 am

There's always that issue of serving order. It can cause a very nice wine to get its butt kicked!
Decisions are made by those who show up