Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Anyone watch The Taste?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Anyone watch The Taste?

by Jenise » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:05 am

This is a new cooking competition with Anthony Bourdain, of all people, and Nigella Lawson. I didn't realize it was on already, but found the first two episodes on On Demand and so watched them last night. Might turn out to be fun once the teams they're putting together in these initial episodes get chosen, but this stage is a bit slow.

You Nigella lovers should take a peak. She's lost some weight, looks terrific.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Fred Sipe

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:34 am

Sunless Rust-Belt NE Ohio

Re: Anyone watch The Taste?

by Fred Sipe » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:46 am

I'll have to watch for this one. Twin "peaks" perhaps... :twisted:
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:09 am

Saw maybe the first 30 minutes. For some reason it didn't hold my interest.
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:43 pm

Both Bourdain and Lawson are entertaining (for different reasons). And yes, Nigella personifies 'zaftig', doesn't she? I'll be dreaming of English muffins....

I watched the first hour and figure it has possibilities. They sure screwed up by not grabbing several of those early contestants and then I got the impression Nigella grabbed the one she did in desparation. We'll have to see how it all goes once they get out of the selection stage.

Creating one spoonful to be judged by sounds interestingly challenging. While I like the judging before they see the cook, a couple were rejected simply because they didn't know what they were tasting. They should refine procedure by being able to get a capsule description (possibly read out by a cast member) of what is in the spoon.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:05 pm

Bill Spohn wrote:Creating one spoonful to be judged by sounds interestingly challenging. While I like the judging before they see the cook, a couple were rejected simply because they didn't know what they were tasting. They should refine procedure by being able to get a capsule description (possibly read out by a cast member) of what is in the spoon.

Yeah, it's not easy to be as creative as one needs to be to impress without having the opportunity to prepare the brains of even those experienced eaters.

Earlier yesterday I was telling Bob that a most excellent muffin recipe we'd trialed for the upcoming big breakfast needed to get scrapped. Good as it is, it's possibly more intellectually appealing than anything else with it's strange combination of sausage, sweet potato, oats and allspice--my argument that if it has to be explained to be understood, and if it has to be understood to taste good, then most would just think it weird especially in the small mini sizes we're going to make. Bob didn't quite get my point until we watched The Taste.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:16 am

This show's getting some local attention as Adam Pechal, a Sacramento chef, is one of the contestants. I haven't seen the show, but I understand he'll be on next week.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:36 pm

I recorded and watched this afternoon. Lots of drama and interesting camera work, but I grew bored fast. The idea of trying to create a really special dish with all of it put into one spoon and one bite, bothers me somehow. How can you judge with just one bite? I have Chinese spoons and love to make appetizers to put into them. It is difficult. You have to keep it simple, yet try to get that "WOW" factor.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:08 pm

Mike Filigenzi wrote:This show's getting some local attention as Adam Pechal, a Sacramento chef, is one of the contestants. I haven't seen the show, but I understand he'll be on next week.

Saw him last night, and he got picked. Handsome guy with a very zen look about him with his hair in a neat little daoist bun.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:14 pm

Karen/NoCA wrote:I recorded and watched this afternoon. Lots of drama and interesting camera work, but I grew bored fast. The idea of trying to create a really special dish with all of it put into one spoon and one bite, bothers me somehow. How can you judge with just one bite? I have Chinese spoons and love to make appetizers to put into them. It is difficult. You have to keep it simple, yet try to get that "WOW" factor.

Well, even in one bite one can show a lot of technique. I thought the competition between the judges was kind of fun, like the three or four times Malarky and Ludo both wanted the same chef, and each time the chef chose Ludo's team. Or the spate of vegan cooks who thought no way the judges would be able to tell--ha! I have to comment on the ending though, how it all led up to two final chefs and only Anthony with a spot left. Even though they supposedly didn't know who was behind the trick door, there's no way Anthony let obviously good chefs go by and then risk getting stuck with a loser at the end--that was a setup to put some tension in the show and fill the hour.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:22 pm

Karen/NoCA wrote: The idea of trying to create a really special dish with all of it put into one spoon and one bite, bothers me somehow. How can you judge with just one bite? I have Chinese spoons and love to make appetizers to put into them. It is difficult. You have to keep it simple, yet try to get that "WOW" factor.

I agree - many of the contestants were eliminated partly because the judges didn't know what was in the spoon, and didn't appreciate the creativity until they had voted against them and found out just what was in there. If you could have asked one question without seeing the contestant I think it might have been more interesting.

And it really isn't about creating the tastiest spoonful - you have to have enough complexity that they judge you to be a creative chef. Some of the best tasting spoons can be the simplest with just one or two ingredients (a cube of watermelon with a drop of reduced balsamic on top, or a small slice of foie gras tourchon with a lightly spiced drop of a fruit preparation on top and a dusting of fleur de sel). I'm betting that that sort of elegant simplicity no matter how tasty wouldn't get you chosen.