The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Some Wines from Boulder...(long/boring)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

WTN: Some Wines from Boulder...(long/boring)

by TomHill » Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:12 pm

We tried last night (1/23/13) some New Wines From Boulder I:
1. Dom.Frey Terre de Granit PinotBlanc Rayon de Lune AC: Alsace (12%; www.MatinicusWines.com) Dominique et
Julien Frey/Dambach-la-Ville 2011
: Pale yellow color; rather stoney/mineral/rocks austere/grapefruity very
light floral/fruit nose; very tart/lean/mineral/stoney tangy/metallic/grapefruity austere/lean little fruit
slight perfumed talc flavor; very tart/lean/austere perfumed talc/mineral/stoney/metallig tangy/grapefruit
finish; typical Alsace PB that's very lean/austere and little fruit. $16.00 (BWM)
classic Alsace R nose; tart/lean steely/mineral/Mosel valve oil some floral/pineapply/R/perfumed talc
perfumey flavor; very long tart/lean/metallic/austere some floral/pineapple/Mosel valve oil spicy/
perfumed talc finish; a terrific old-timey bone dry Alsace R at a great price. $22.00 (BWM)
pungent/smokey bit peppery/mineral/stoney flavor; very long/lingering bit metallic/mineral/granitic
very spicy/floral/carnations fairly tart/rich/lush complex finish; probably will go out 10 yrs or more;
atypical of Austrian GV but quite a beautiful GV at a very good price. $26.00 (BWM)
earthy nose; bit CO2/prickly fairly soft/lush some peppery/spicy/classic GV light earthy/stoney flavor;
med.short 7Up/peppery/spicy/floral/classic GV light earthy finish; quite a lovely/classic GV in the nose
but doesn't quite deliver on the palate; rather pricey for what it is. $39.00 (BWM)
peach slight peppery/earthy finish; a bit stinky/SO2 in the nose that clears but a sound/solid Viog
underneath; maybe a bit on the soft side; quite a pleasant Viog at a good price. $16.00 (BWM)
butterscotch very slight peach/Viog/Condrieu finish; some slight Condrieu/Viog underneath but
dominated by oxidized character; probably poor storage and old before its time. $16.00 (Arg)
w/ little tannins; med.long bright/strawberry/cranberry/Gamay/spicy light earthy/granitic/mineral finish
w/ very little tannins; probably starting to fade a bit but quite a pretty/frivolous little Gamay; think of
the cute little red-head girl that Charlie Brown lusts for...or ShirleyTemple on the good ship Lollipop.
$21.00
color; very strong roasted/Rhonish/smokey/espresso/peppery/meaty some Gamay/Bojo GC/earthy/mushroomy/
truffly rather dusty/OV quite complex nose; fairly tart rather roasted/Rhonish/smokey/peppery/meaty strong
dusty/OV some earthy/funky/Bojo GC/spicy flavor w/ modest tannins; very long roasted/espresso/smokey/peppery
strong dusty/OV some earthy/mushroomy/Bojo GC complex finish w/ some tannins; needs 2-6 yrs yet; lots of
NorthernRhone/roasted character w/ an underlying earthy/Beauj GC character; an amazing wine that reminds me
a lot of the Swan Gamay '70 w/o all the oak; stunning Gamay. $34.00 (BWM)
like light smokey/toasty slight roasted/NR/coffee/peppery bit volatile/alcoholic/minty/menthol rather complex
nose; very tart/lean/hard/tannic strong blueberry/blackberry/Syrah light roasted/Rhonish/peppery/herbal
flavor; long quite tart/hard/tannic/angular strong blueberry/blackberry bit herbal/peppery/roasted/NR/
coffee bean finish w/ hard/unyielding tannins; a pretty eccentric expression of Crozes-Hermitage that reminds
me more of WashState Syrah than C-H, except for the hard/angular tannins; may develop into something
interesting w/ age. $35.00 (BWM)
quite dusty/OV some peppery/Syrah slight licorice/pungent/blackberry very balanced complex flavor w/ modest
tannins; very long/lingering bit soft strong roasted/smokey/meaty/espresso/NorthernRhone rather peppery/Syrah
quite complex finish w/ modest tannins; needs 2-8 yrs yet; a bit on the rustic side like a good Cornas
but pretty amazing stuff. $65.00 (BWM)
earthy strong toasty/charred/oak flavor w/ light tannins; long soft/ripe strong blackberry/boysenberry/Syrah/
licorice slight earthy/herbal finish w/ light tannins; speaks strongly of ripe Syrah under all the oak and
one of the best Colorado reds I've had. $20.00 (BWM)
very aromatic/perfumed slight volatile some vanilla/Am.oak/pencilly/Ridge redslight spicy/peppery quite
attractive nose; fairly tart balanced strong ripe/blackberry/blueberry/Syrah/spicy light Ridge red/
vanilla/Am.oak rather rich/lush/balanced slight ripe/alcoholic lovely flavor w/ modest tannins; very long
ripe/blackberry/blueberry/Syrah bit tart ripe/lush/balanced light Ridge red/pencilly/vanilla/Am.oak/
smokey finish w/ some tannins; needs another 2-8 yrs; one of the best young Ridge Syrahs I've had. $34.00 (ATP)
_____________________________________________________________________________________
A the usual bloviations from TheBloodyPulpit:
1. LaSouteronne: I stumbled across this wine last week up at BoulderWineMerchant. A producer that I'd never
heard of before. They are imported by Jenny&Francois: (http://www.jennyandfrancois.com/), an importer that
was new to me. The guy on the floor said it was Gamay from the Rhone. Say whot?? The label on the btl
made no mention of Gamay, but there was a little back label on the shipping box that identified it an
IGP Gamay. The vnyd is located just outside the AC boundary (hence the IGP designation) on the hills above
the StJoseph AC, across the Rhone river. His WebSite is:
http://romaneaux.destezet.free.fr/presentation-e.htm
I was quite impressed by this wine...maybe the most profound Gamay I've ever tried. It spoke strongly
of NorthernRhone/roasted character and quietly of Bojo GrandCru. I sent a btl of it to SteveEdmunds to
get his take on the wine. The wine, alas, was closed w/ a NeoCork...not a good sign for long ageing.
of sweet Alice's darlings. If this is a "natural" wine, it's probably the best I've ever had of that genre.
Pretty amazing stuff.
Then, in the mid-late '80's, along came the Z-H style...harvested later, higher alcohol, lower acidity,
often a touch of RS, ripe/lush "gobs of hedonistic fruit". Big scores out of Monktown and rapidly escalating
prices. OlivierHumbrecht was annointed as the world's greatest winemaker. Other wineries emulated his style
and charged commensurate $$'s. And it's been downhill ever since for Asatian R & GWT. When I want great GWT....
I look to the AltoAdige. Only a few of of the Alsace producers hew to the traditional line, Trimbach for one.
I'd had the LeonBeyer wines in the past and found them pleasant, but just that. When I saw this Emile
Beyer up in Boulder, a producer I'd never seen before, I thought I'd give it a try. Glad I did. This was a
classic old-timey R the likes I've not seen in yrs. Bone dry, austere, acid. Not really that good drinking
now...I have little doubt that it will go out 10-20 yrs and become something pretty exceptional. And
it's (relatively) cheap (like the $4-$6 I was buying back in the mid-'70's). I'm going back for more.
another Ridge red wine. It didn't have that intense blackberry/Syrah character I was looking for. Donn could
tell from my crestfallen look that I was not thrilled. He arched his eyebrows and gave me his "you doofus"
look that I'd received from him before. He admonished me to "you wait and see". He, as he usually was, was
absolutely right and it developed into a very lovely wine...though it still spoke mostly of Ridge winemaking
and spoke quietly of Syrah. That's long been my criticism of Ridge Syrahs...at least upon release. They speak
more of Ridge oak treatment and less of Syrah varietal character. But, since that night w/ Donn, I've made my
peace w/ the Ridge Syrahs. They are what they are and they're Ridge's particular expression of Lytton Syrah.
They're not big & bombastic in their youth. But they, most often, evolve into a really lovely old Ridge red
w/ lots of complexity and great balance.
So I tried this just released ATP Syrah '08 w/ my usual low expectations. Wow...this one is different.
It fairly shouted of Syrah varietal character and spoke quietly of Ridge red winemaking. The Ridge oaak
was certainly there. But the Syrah intensity was a new wrinkle to this wine. I've little doubt that it,
too, will evolve into a lovely Syrah w/ age. I'm going back for more.
were pretty miserable wines. Plus the labels were plug-ugly.
JimSeewald then went on to promote grape-growing over on the west slope around GrandJunction. Probably
the first Colorado wine that got my attention was a Cabernet from GrandRiver. Pretty heavily oaked..but
there was some competent winemaking behind it. Over the yrs, I've periodically tried some of the Colorado
wines and found them a bit of a mixed bag. In the last yr or two, I've been picking up a few odd btls here
and there to try and finding some I really like. The ones from InfiniteMonkey and BoulderCreek have been
the ones that have made the best impression.
Last weekend, I met up w/ KyleSchlachter up in Denver and he showed me four Colorado CabFrancs, a variety
that he thinks does the best in that State. They were Creekside '08, BoulderCreek '09, CanyonWind '09, and
ReederMesa '09. No detailed note as I was mostly absorbed in learning about Colorado wines from Kyle. But
those four were all well-made and interesting renditions of CabFranc. They didn't have the lush fruit of
Calif CabFrancs, but they avoided the strong earthy/herbal/vegetal flavors I find in many LongIsland
CabFrancs. They had only hints of the earthy/mushroomy character you find in Loire CabFrancs. I guess they
were more similar to WashState CabFrancs than anything.
These two BoulderCreek wines I was favoribly impressed with. The Viognier was marred by a pretty strong
SO2 character, but that eventually blew off. The Syrah was a solid/well-made wine that resembled, probably,
a WashState Syrah than Calif. Probably the best Colorado red I've yet tried.
Tom
no avatar
User

Tom Troiano

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:22 pm

Massachusetts

Re: WTN: Some Wines from Boulder...(long/boring)

by Tom Troiano » Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:21 pm

Thanks! I always love the Ridge Bloody Pulpits. Learn more there than anyplace else.
Tom T.