Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Ferran Adrià's potato-chip tortilla! :D

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Ferran Adrià's potato-chip tortilla! :D

by Robin Garr » Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:49 pm

Maybe I'm just hyped because it's a Ferran Adrià recipe, but something about the idea of making a Spanish tortilla with thick-cut kettle chips in place of thin-sliced potatoes really gets my wacky-cook's imagination working. I've got to try this!

One Perfect Bite: Ferran Adrià's Tortilla Española (Spanish Potato Frittata)

http://oneperfectbite.blogspot.com/2013 ... anish.html
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

Re: Ferran Adrià's potato-chip tortilla! :D

by Jeff Grossman » Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:46 pm

Well, that's an easy recipe.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:56 pm

Oh man, I am so all over that! Let's all make, and report back.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:11 pm

Jenise wrote:Oh man, I am so all over that! Let's all make, and report back.

I'm on it tonight. I'm leaving out the pig flesh, though. :mrgreen:
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:18 pm

Robin Garr wrote:I'm on it tonight. I'm leaving out the pig flesh, though. :mrgreen:

Got some pink yam mash for it, instead? :wink:
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:44 pm

Okay! Salt and Pepper Kettle Chips are in the house. Tonight's the night!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:38 am

Well, I tried it last night, and my conclusions are (1) it's good; (2) it's very easy, but (3) if I am in a mood to take the time to thin-slice and pan-fry my own potatoes - white creamers, preferably - I'll get an even better tortilla. So, a curiosity, a time-saver, but not a permanent replacement for the traditional form.

I'll add a picture(s) later today after I have a chance to re-size and upload them. :)
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:39 pm

So I made it too. Used Kettle Chips Salt & Pepper version, and had to guess at four ounces which might have been closer to six in my case. For seasoning, I added three chopped Hatch green chiles, although one of them happened to be red. I also added an ounce or two of half and half, reasoning that I like the way it relaxes scrambled eggs so I'd probably prefer it texturally in the tortilla as well.

Here's what it looked like:

IMG_5306.JPG

IMG_5310.JPG

Conclusions: similar to Robin's. It tasted good, no question. Was even better with a healthy dose of Melinda's XXXX hot sauce on it. (Hey Bill, see?) But I wasn't nuts about the texture, which I found a bit sponge-y, and was very glad I'd added the half and half or it would have been even more so.

A little bully pulpit here: after a lifelong self-imposed dislike of eggs, suddenly they are tasting good to me and I'm eating them. Well--sort of. I'm not ready to eat more than a bite for breakfast yet, and I'll never EVER eat a runny yolk, but I am loving souffles. And what is more refined than a souffle? So I'm starting at the top in terms of texture--that which I both like and expect. Compared to that, this disappointed.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:58 pm

I love your plating, Jenise! I'm a guy. I slapped the tortilla on a pretty Provence plate, cut it up with a pizza cutter, and put it on the table. :lol:
sm_tort.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:02 pm

I made it last night. I agree it's not the equivalent of a great tortilla espanol, but it was tasty, and so easy/quick. For once I followed pretty closely to recipe, if anything I thought a bit too thyme-y (I used tablespoon of fresh, with serrano ham, pimentos, Cape Cod original).
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:07 pm

I may do this just to say I've made an Adria recipe! (Plus it sounds good.)
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:54 pm

On deck for tonight. I plan to add a little asiago.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:02 pm

As it doesn't take a long time to zip a tater or two through the mandolin (my trusty Benriner) that's what I normally do for frittatas. Interesting to hear that although a decent idea, it doesn't make that much difference to taste.

Jenise - congrats on measuring up to the eggxacting standards of a true gourmet - hope I'm not being oeuf-ish by saying so! :mrgreen:

And I have to say that when I did za'atar dusted hard boiled quail eggs for a champers accompaniment at one of my dinners, Jenise stepped up and gave them a try. Keep on eggztending your culinary horizons. Maybe some day you'll be willing to sample my oeufs en Meurette!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:23 pm

Update: Today for lunch we had the rest of the tortilla made the other night. I reheated it on the exposed rack (no pan underneath, that is) of the toaster oven. It crisped up beautifully top and bottom, and texturally we both enjoyed it more this way than we had on the first go.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:33 pm

Bill Spohn wrote:As it doesn't take a long time to zip a tater or two through the mandolin (my trusty Benriner) that's what I normally do for frittatas. Interesting to hear that although a decent idea, it doesn't make that much difference to taste.

The taste of a real potato would be a lot better--it would just take longer, both in prep and cooking. To someone like me who isn't looking for timesavers and only cares about the healthiest food possible with the best possible taste and texture, though? No benefit.

And I have to say that when I did za'atar dusted hard boiled quail eggs for a champers accompaniment at one of my dinners, Jenise stepped up and gave them a try. Keep on eggztending your culinary horizons. Maybe some day you'll be willing to sample my oeufs en Meurette!

If the Meurette involves a runny yolk, I wouldn't 'lay' any money on that happening. When it comes to hard boiled eggs, it's the white part I actually like. I 'peck' at the yolk just to be polite. :wink:
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:42 pm

Jenise wrote: When it comes to hard boiled eggs, it's the white part I actually like. I 'peck' at the yolk just to be polite. :wink:

Everyone knows that you are an inveterate yolker! :mrgreen:
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:45 pm

Bill Spohn wrote:
Jenise wrote: When it comes to hard boiled eggs, it's the white part I actually like. I 'peck' at the yolk just to be polite. :wink:

Everyone knows that you are an inveterate yolker! :mrgreen:

And if I eat two, then I'm a double yolker?
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:19 pm

Jenise wrote:And if I eat two, then it's a double yolker?

Don't let him bedevil you, Jenise.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:20 pm

Jeff Grossman/NYC wrote:On deck for tonight. I plan to add a little asiago.

This was quick and yummy. Like everyone else, even Pumpkin, we think the texture is too firm or spongy. Perhaps add some more liquid next time?
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:26 pm

Jeff Grossman/NYC wrote:
Jenise wrote:And if I eat two, then it's a double yolker?

Don't let him bedevil you, Jenise.

I think she's fishing for a standing ovo-ation!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:02 pm

Jeff Grossman/NYC wrote:
Jeff Grossman/NYC wrote:On deck for tonight. I plan to add a little asiago.

This was quick and yummy. Like everyone else, even Pumpkin, we think the texture is too firm or spongy. Perhaps add some more liquid next time?

Definitely. As I mentioned, I added a little half and half but milk, and more of it, would be fine and beneficial.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:09 am

Jenise wrote:Update: Today for lunch we had the rest of the tortilla made the other night. I reheated it on the exposed rack (no pan underneath, that is) of the toaster oven. It crisped up beautifully top and bottom, and texturally we both enjoyed it more this way than we had on the first go.

Had the rest of it tonight. Agreed. Still a bit drier than I'd like but definitely better when crisp around the edges.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:49 pm

Made this last night. Used diced Spanish chorizo instead of the ham and added milk. Unfortunately, I got sidetracked and overcooked it a bit. It was still pretty tasty. I'll make it again. It agree that it's not as good as using potatoes instead of chips but the reality for me is that I need a range of nutritious dishes that go together (start to finish) in less than an hour.

And hell, how often can you come home from work at 6 and have a Ferran Adria dish on the table by 7? :D
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:21 pm

Mike Filigenzi wrote:Made this last night. Used diced Spanish chorizo instead of the ham and added milk. Unfortunately, I got sidetracked and overcooked it a bit. It was still pretty tasty. I'll make it again. It agree that it's not as good as using potatoes instead of chips but the reality for me is that I need a range of nutritious dishes that go together (start to finish) in less than an hour.

And hell, how often can you come home from work at 6 and have a Ferran Adria dish on the table by 7? :D

Another shortcut? Use frozen, or previously frozen, cubed potatoes.
Next