Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Best selling cookbook of 2012?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Best selling cookbook of 2012?

by Jenise » Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:03 pm

Apparently, Ina Garten's Barefoot Contessa Foolproof was it, with 428,105 copies sold.

However, it should be noted that a very large factor was that the book was also part of Amazon's 12 days of Christmas 'Deals' program and priced at $4.99, a fact that was well advertised on a number of popular deals-related websites.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

Re: Best selling cookbook of 2012?

by Karen/NoCA » Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:27 pm

I bought the book to add to my collection of all her books and I do like it. Her books are always laid out well and the photography is beautiful.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:51 pm

A lot of my friends are fans of hers, too, Karen.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:24 pm

I like her attitude toward cooking. For years, I used to worry about entertaining, getting everything perfect, from the table setting, flowers, food, dessert, all of it. Gradually, I calmed down (getting older does have a few benefits) and learned to take it easy, get things done ahead and enjoy the guests more. Ina loves to give her guests the unexpected. Having a few celebs over for dinner......give them a dinner they do not expect.

We were invited to good friends home for dinner and she told me her son-in-law (my Captain at the police dept) had invited some dignitaries from the City and wanted the party to be at his mother in laws home. We had drinks and appetizers on the patio on a nice summer night. Dinner was Louisiana hot links, with sauerkraut, onions and pickles on great rolls. We all had a blast. It was so relaxing, host and hostess were not stressed and the dignitaries enjoyed the party as well. A whole lot!!! The best parties I have been to and hear people talk about are parties like that, where everyone is relaxed, the food is simple but delicious and no stress. Life is too short to stress over food...I still do it, but am getting better. :wink:
no avatar
User

Shaji M

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Apr 05, 2007 3:24 pm

Re: What should be the Best selling cookbook of 2012?

by Shaji M » Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:52 am

Jenise wrote:However, it should be noted that a very large factor was that the book was also part of Amazon's 12 days of Christmas 'Deals' program and priced at $4.99, a fact that was well advertised on a number of popular deals-related websites.

If price were not an issue what would your nominations be for the Best cookbook for 2012? I havent bought a cookbook in a while, bit in this age of Google, I still go back and look at my cookbooks for the occasional inspiration!

Karen/NoCA wrote:The best parties I have been to and hear people talk about are parties like that, where everyone is relaxed, the food is simple but delicious and no stress. Life is too short to stress over food...I still do it, but am getting better. :wink:

Ain't that the truth!!
no avatar
User

Tom Troiano

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:22 pm

Massachusetts

by Tom Troiano » Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:02 am

Jenise wrote:Apparently, Ina Garten's Barefoot Contessa Foolproof was it, with 428,105 copies sold.

However, it should be noted that a very large factor was that the book was also part of Amazon's 12 days of Christmas 'Deals' program and priced at $4.99, a fact that was well advertised on a number of popular deals-related websites.

Sorry to take this in a weird place but this sounds a bit like the NRA claiming they've had a huge spike in enrollment recently when they actually dropped the price of a lifetime membership from something like $1000 to $300 recently (those numbers may be somewhat off).
Tom T.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:10 am

Karen/NoCA wrote:I like her attitude toward cooking. For years, I used to worry about entertaining, getting everything perfect, from the table setting, flowers, food, dessert, all of it.

Wow I get something completely different from her. That is, her platings aren't really very refined and it seems like half her shows are about a soup plus dessert, which seems fairly casual, but anyone who so slavishly uses measuring spoons isn't as casual as all that. I think the low-register monotone of her voice helps her sound more relaxed, but she's very exacting and precise and I doubt one iota less a control freak than Martha Stewart.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Re: What should be the Best selling cookbook of 2012?

by Jenise » Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:12 am

Shaji M wrote:
If price were not an issue what would your nominations be for the Best cookbook for 2012? I havent bought a cookbook in a while, bit in this age of Google, I still go back and look at my cookbooks for the occasional inspiration!

I don't have a good answer for you! I only bought two books last year myself, and of the two the Hugh Acheson book was likely published a few years earlier.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:53 pm

Wow I get something completely different from her. That is, her platings aren't really very refined and it seems like half her shows are about a soup plus dessert, which seems fairly casual, but anyone who so slavishly uses measuring spoons isn't as casual as all that. I think the low-register monotone of her voice helps her sound more relaxed, but she's very exacting and precise and I doubt one iota less a control freak than Martha Stewart.

Given the fact that Ina is a former White House nuclear policy analyst, a very successful business women, pilot, and has been successful (without any formal training in food) in the food world, I would say she is very precise, and possibly likes to be in control. I'm not into fancy platings either, but more into beautiful colors on my plates, Her presentations are comfortable. I am amazed at how much she uses the food processor, mixer and blender on all her shows. Things rarely used in my kitchen. Probably more of a time saver for her, while I have lots of time to play, finally! :D