Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.
no avatar
User

Harry J

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:31 pm

Song / WeeksEnd wine

by Harry J » Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:33 am

bsd
As a week travels through time,numericaly resting from proceeding at the number seven.
In music we have a scale of seven notes with the octave returning to the first note.
We all are songs, we all are instruments.And so is our world.
We are the crown of creation;for we are given the choice to try and sing on key.
Have a good one; h
User

Andrew B

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:49 pm

Re: Song / WeeksEnd wine

by Andrew B » Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:56 pm

Couldn't find the Four Gates Pinot in the cellar, so '09 Four Gates Syrah it is!
User

Gabriel Geller

Rank

'So-called' wine expert

Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:46 pm

Jerusalem, Israel

by Gabriel Geller » Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:43 pm

Shavua tov Harry,

A quite busy week ahead for me wine-wise. BTW to all the forumites that intend on attending the kosher wine expo in Jerusalem this week, please PM me if you're interested in grabbing a glass there together. I'll be there Monday from doors opening at 3 pm till closing at 11pm. Tuesday from around 7 pm to 11 pm.

Friday night:

Carmel, Appellation Cabernet Sauvignon 2008: Still a great QPR at 50 shekel (~ $13).

Shabbat lunch:

Livni, Sde Calev Pinot Noir 2010: The first time I tasted this wine it was flawed. It wasn't that much better this time unfortunately. Whereas the 2009 was an amazing and very special wine though not very varietally true, the '10 vintage seems to be seriously faulted. Dark purple though not as black-ish as the '10 and with on the nose some notes of stewed plums and ripe black cherries. The palate lacks on most accounts, unbalanced with overripe fruit, prunes and dates and clear notes of oxidation with harsh, unfocused country-style tannins from first attack towards the finish. Niet. :(

I was unable to locate in the darkness of my cellar the bottle of Elvi Clasico I had in mind as a back up plan and wasn't in the mood for anything better than that. :x

Best,

GG
no avatar
User

Isaac Chavel

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:54 am

by Isaac Chavel » Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:50 pm

2009 Dalton SMV. Delicious.
no avatar
User

Steven B

Rank

Wine geek

Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:59 am

by Steven B » Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:56 pm

2011 Dalton Estate Cabernet Sauvignon. Interesting and definitely better than the previous vintage. Actually had some green notes.
2011 Dalton Moscato
User

YoelA

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:43 pm

San Francisco area

by YoelA » Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:48 am

2007 Carnel Road pinot noir. Just one more half-bottle left.
no avatar
User

Isaac C

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Dec 29, 2009 3:53 pm

NYC

by Isaac C » Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:44 am

Covenant Landsman Lodi Zinfandel 2011 -Excellent wine, the first taste of this was amazing, super concentrated flavor (reminded me of some of the Yarden Single Vineyards in that sense), the nose on this wine was very sweet, with notes of blackberries, cedar, and tobacco, the mouth on this wine had strong notes of dark fruit, cedar, and tobacco, with a hint of cocoa, and a long finish. The 15.4% alcohol is very well hidden (maybe a little too well). This wine did not need any time to breathe and held well overnight (sealed in a water bottle).
User

Gabriel Geller

Rank

'So-called' wine expert

Jerusalem, Israel

by Gabriel Geller » Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:40 am

Isaac C wrote:Covenant Landsman Lodi Zinfandel 2011 -Excellent wine, the first taste of this was amazing, super concentrated flavor (reminded me of some of the Yarden Single Vineyards in that sense), the nose on this wine was very sweet, with notes of blackberries, cedar, and tobacco, the mouth on this wine had strong notes of dark fruit, cedar, and tobacco, with a hint of cocoa, and a long finish. The 15.4% alcohol is very well hidden (maybe a little too well). This wine did not need any time to breathe and held well overnight (sealed in a water bottle).

sounds awesome! 8)
no avatar
User

Harry J

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:31 pm

by Harry J » Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:42 am

Hi;recanati special edition 2011;enjoyed as it seemed to have a bit of a different than ussual flavor profile.yet can't describe the flavors more than perhaps some plum and blackberry.and arack at my grandsons bar mitzvah H
no avatar
User

Yossie Horwitz

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:27 pm

NYC

by Yossie Horwitz » Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:05 pm

Glad to hear the Covenant Zin was so great. Just got it on Thursday and looking forward to comparatively tasting it with the Cuvee Chabad Zin...

Over the weekend we enjoyed:
Four Gates, Merlot, La Rochelle, 2007
Hagafen, Prix, Sauvignon Blanc, Moskovite Ranch, 2010
Ella Valley Vineyards, Cabernet Sauvignon, 2007
Ella Valley Vineyards, Chardonnay 2011
Carmel, Appellation, Cabernet Franc, 2007
Sign up for my weekly newsletter on wines, wineries & other oenophilic goodies at http://www.yossiescorkboard.com
no avatar
User

Gedalya P

Rank

Wine geek

Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:01 am

by Gedalya P » Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:55 pm

Tulip Mostly Cabernet Franc 2010 was very good. It is made in a community of developmentally disabled adults in the Galil and became kosher in 2010. The grapes are from this area. It is delicious, firm, and gentler than Cabernet Sauvignons. A good buy for 79 shekels.
Yaffo Carignan 2009 is from Roglit, right around the corner. It was a nice wine last time we tasted it. Recently, Yossie and Gabriel both listed it as a top ten Israeli wine of 2012. I was surprised to find that it had bottle aged so superbly. It is now delicious and luxurious to drink. This is now a best buy at 99 shekels.
Tulip Just Cabernet 2010 and Shiloh Mor were both a pleasure. They are wonderful, solid, enjoyable wines in a lower price bracket. Both are 69 shekels.
From Cellar 18 in Ramat Beit Shemesh
User

Gabriel Geller

Rank

'So-called' wine expert

Jerusalem, Israel

by Gabriel Geller » Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:43 pm

jgpersky wrote:Yaffo Carignan 2009 is from Roglit, right around the corner. It was a nice wine last time we tasted it. Recently, Yossie and Gabriel both listed it as a top ten Israeli wine of 2012.

Nope, sorry Gedalia but it wasn't on my list. This is one of my - very rare - disagreements with Yossie as I'm not a big fan of this wine. Will I see you tomorrow?
no avatar
User

Z Spigelman

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Jul 20, 2008 4:26 am

Neve Tzuf, Israel

by Z Spigelman » Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:56 pm

Hi Harry.
Friday night we celebrated our son's engagement with a Yarden El Rom Cabernet Sauvignon 2003. Simply delicious.
Shabbat lunch - Yatir Viognier 2010.
Thanks to all those who wished me a Mazal Tov last week.
Shavua Tov.
Zvi
no avatar
User

gaston k

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:32 pm

by gaston k » Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:32 pm

Back from yeshiva vacation directly to the in-laws in Jersey for Shabbat. Brought along a bottle of En Fuego Unido 2010, a good quaffer. Also picked up some Belgians at the local beer place, and had a bottle of Leffe with Shabbat lunch.

Prior week was in Barbados, and as I imagined kosher wine was hard to come by, so I was glad to have packed a bottle of Lanzur CS Reserve 2010. A little sweet, but did the trick for kiddush and havdala. On Saturday, I paired my hard salami (vacation favorite, just dry out a few weeks before) with some local Banks beer, a solid brew that I enjoyed many times over the trip.
User

Andrew B

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:49 pm

by Andrew B » Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:51 pm

Andrew Breskin wrote:Couldn't find the Four Gates Pinot in the cellar, so '09 Four Gates Syrah it is!

This was full bodied and rather dry, and very oaky. But it did have some nice acidity and spice. I'd give it another 2 years or so before it declines.
no avatar
User

Yaakov B

Rank

Cellar rat

Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:50 pm

by Yaakov B » Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:07 pm

Tzora Shoresh 2010.
Cocoa and raw green coffe beans on the nose with cured black olives, rosemary and blackberry jam with a touch of dried mushrooms. The nose flows right into the mouth. A very serious and concentrated wine with real character. Dark cherry jam, plum skins and a touch of leather, bay leaf and bitter chocolate. A very well structured wine with layers of flavour, silky smooth tannins and a long full finish.
Tanya Ivri Cabernet 2010.
Blackberries and date honey on the nose with prune juice, dirty unpeeled and unwashed horseradish, beef pot roast and a bit of port. It taste like eating a cherry with the stem. Full flavoured and surprisingly layered with a candied pecan and roasted marshmallow finish.
Tzuba Cabernet 2009
On the nose there is dried sour cranberries and cherries, freshly ground black pepper and fresh green peppers with a clean toasted wood smell. This all flows nicely into the flavour with an addition of blackberries, milk chocolate and chocolate coated orange peel. A long finish of toasted hazelnuts and vanilla.
User

David Raccah

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:18 am

Bay Area, CA

by David Raccah » Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:50 pm

Well all I can say, for my tastes, how far the mighty have fallen! I was worried about it and sure enough my last tasting has turned to even worse. What can I say the 2004 Yarden Syrah, Ortal Vineyard is in drink now mode!! In no way is the body or tannin failing this wine, as I stated in the post. However, the fruit is going sweeter and sweeter to the point of port-like flavors. If you like sweet fruit bombs - this is a wine that will make you happy. But I cannot see this wine being enjoyable to folks like us - for another 5 years. Drink NOW to Drink UP!!!

http://kosherwinemusings.com/2013/01/27 ... drink-now/
Checkout http://www.kosherwinemusings.com for my blogs on the world of kosher wines and follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/kosherwinemuse.
User

David Raccah

Rank

Wine guru

Bay Area, CA

by David Raccah » Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:52 pm

Now to the great part of the evening! Thanks again so much Isaac! We once again had a great dinner of rib eye steak - from the recipe that Isaac sent me. I added in a great crispy and crunchy potato recipe that works with the rib eye recipe - a pair of recipes that ROCK for the Shabbos requirements.
Checkout http://www.kosherwinemusings.com for my blogs on the world of kosher wines and follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/kosherwinemuse.
no avatar
User

Isaac C

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Dec 29, 2009 3:53 pm

NYC

by Isaac C » Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:07 am

Yossie Horwitz wrote:Glad to hear the Covenant Zin was so great. Just got it on Thursday and looking forward to comparatively tasting it with the Cuvee Chabad Zin...

Yossie - what is the difference between these wines? Are they sourced from the same vineyards and just made by different people or totally different wines?
User

David Raccah

Rank

Wine guru

Bay Area, CA

by David Raccah » Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:18 am

They are sourced from entirely different places - but both are indeed made by Jeff Morgan. More on the Cuvee Chabad can be found here:

http://www.covenantwines.com/cuvee-chabad

David
no avatar
User

Pinchas L

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:04 pm

Brooklyn, NY

by Pinchas L » Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:10 am

Hi Harry,

Don Ernesto Vin Gris 2010 - If I'm not mistaken this rose was made of Syrah. Unlike many rose', the color of this one is a vibrant red, hinting at the fruitiness that is to follow on the palate. The flavors are a fusion of racy red fruit and spicy herbs. The fruit flavors are a melange of cherry, strawberry and watermelon; the herbs are fresh spearmint. Although it is not complex nor austere, it is very enjoyable. Surprisingly, it seems to have improved with time. 12.5 AbV. $15 upon release. B/***

Ella Valley Cabernet Franc 2007 - Although the fruit seems overripe, expressing itself with flavors of prunes and dates, it redeems itself with its complex profile of green, herbal and mineral notes. This is definitely one of the more complex wines I've had in the past year. The beauty of this wine is that its complexity seems well orchestrated, not as a hodgepodge of voices trying to shout over each other. 14.5 AbV. I think I paid 118 NIS upon release B+/***

Best,
-> Pinchas

Grading for quality: A - marvellous, B - good/intriguing, C - mediocre/uninspiring, D - subjectively flawed, F - objectively flawed
Grading for value: *** - it's a steal, ** - it's a reasonable deal, * - you've been robbed
User

Yehoshua Werth

Rank

Wine guru

Thu May 19, 2011 3:29 pm

Monsey, New York USA

by Yehoshua Werth » Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:29 pm

2009 Tishbi Estate Single Vineyard Malbec
Intersesting, different and wanted to keep tasting and drinking... Cool and fun! Bigger than wine below and more complex yet NOT for Cab only drinkers ;)

2010 Gilgal Syrah - Big fruity subtle spice quite smooth and had many asking for this after pouring on Thursday night... Good stuff...
Yehoshua Werth, Manager
The GrapeVine Wines & Spirits
Monsey, NY USA
http://www.youtube.com/TheGrapevineWines
User

Bill Coleman

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:14 pm

Chicago, Illinois

by Bill Coleman » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:28 pm

Friday night - 2006 Casa da Corca Douro. Blah.
Saturday lunch - 2009 Alexander Syrah. Wow! Fruit bomb. Yummy.
no avatar
User

Marc G

Rank

Wine geek

Sun Nov 23, 2008 2:13 pm

by Marc G » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:42 pm

98 Hagafen Merlot (magnum)- Ive had this for years and decided to finally open it. When young this used to be a very tannic wine. I was hopeful that the wine would be good. Color and body was thin. Floral yet dirty aroma. Flavors the same. Although it had some charm it was a dissapointment.

08 Willim Gerw - Used to be a great wine but passed its peak. Drink up
Next