Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Tip on using these forums

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Frank Deis

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:20 pm

NJ

Tip on using these forums

by Frank Deis » Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:44 pm

I visit another forum (one about mangas and Japanese stuff) which apparently uses the same basic software as this board, but it has the attractive feature that if you are logged in, when you click on a topic title, it takes you right to the first unread message, instead of the first message (as this board does). I have long understood that if you click on the white square after the last poster's name, you will go to the last message. But I didn't know how to get to the first UNREAD message. If you don't already realize it -- there is a way.

That symbol on the left which is red if there are unread messages and black if there aren't (and showing a dot if you've posted in the thread) -- immediately to the right of THAT (and to the left of the topic title) there is another square, and if you click on THAT you go to the first unread message.

I know this isn't about cooking, but this is the forum I read the most. If you think it's useful you can copy it elsewhere. Possibly everyone here knew this except me...
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Tip on using these forums

by Jenise » Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:30 pm

Hey, I help run the place and didn't realize that the little black dot is something separate from--and more useful!--than the orange square. Thank you!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

John Treder

Rank

Zinaholic

Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:03 pm

Santa Rosa, CA

by John Treder » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:12 pm

Well, I'll be diddled! It works!
Thanks, Frank.
John in the wine county
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

by Redwinger » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:34 pm

My day is complete. I learned something new.
Danke.
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

Barb Downunder

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:31 am

by Barb Downunder » Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:12 pm

That's cool, thanks Frank
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:29 pm

I'm really surprised, and sorry, that you all didn't know that! You're talking about the orange squares that show up toward the left of each line with an unread message in the image below, right? They have a little black arrow at lower right, but they look mostly orange to me. Anyway, it's always done that. I'm sorry so many of you hadn't noticed it, as it is indeed a time saver.

image.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:12 am

Robin Garr wrote:I'm really surprised, and sorry, that you all didn't know that! You're talking about the orange squares that show up toward the left of each line with an unread message in the image below, right? They have a little black arrow at lower right, but they look mostly orange to me. Anyway, it's always done that.

Yup. Learned about that years ago.
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:03 pm

Yeah, sorry, but I thought that everyone knew about that feature already. It makes it possible for folks like to me to figure out what's new in a forum like this.

Mark Lipton