The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Bulfon PiculitNeri '10...(short/boring)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

WTN: Bulfon PiculitNeri '10...(short/boring)

by TomHill » Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:29 pm

We tried over the weekend:
1. Emilio Bulfon IGP: PiculitNeri delle Venezie (13%; www.VinoTerra.net; www.Bulfon.It) Pinzano al Tagliamento NV (2010?): Very dark/near black color; very strong blackberry/black cherry/licorice/pungent/framboise rather earthy/dusty slight tobaccoy/herbal/rosemary complex nose; fairly tart somewhat lean/tannic strong black cherry/blackberry/licorice/RCCola some dusty/earthy/herbal/rosemary/pungent flavor; long somewhat tannic/hard/lean/tart blackberry/black cherry cola/licorice/RCCola some earthy/dusty finish; much like a Refosco but more hard/tannic/angular; needs 2-5 yrs; maybe the best Bulfon Piculit yet; lovely stuff. $19.00 (Arg)
PiculitNeri is one such indigenous variety. It is a unique variety who parentage is lost in the mists of antiquity. It is not a black variation of the Friulian Picolit that is used most often to make dessert wines.
This was a strange wine. When I saw it on the shelf at Argonaut in Denver, the front label indicated it was a Forgiarin. But the back label said PiculitNeri. The guy on the floor indicated it was, in fact, the Piculit. This was later confirmed by Mikael at VinoTerra. The Piculit had come from Bulfon mislabeled w/ the Forgiarin on the front. They received the correct front label from Bulfon, but a few cases of the mis-labeled one had already escaped into the marketplace.
Bulfon is rather casual on his labeling. They oftentimes do not have a vintage date on the label. Sometimes it is written on by hand. Sometimes it's simply identified by a lot # on the back label, like L2010. I saw a correctly labeled Piculit later at DaVino and seem to recall a 2010 on the back label.
Bulfon as rescued several of these varieties in Friuli. One can only imagine the thoughts that must be running thru his mind when he discovers this last remaining old PiculitNeri vine out in the backwoods and realizes he is the only one standing between this last vine and its extinction. Gott give him credit for that.
I wonder how the authorative wine critics like Parker or Molesworth, when tasting their first Piculit, can assign a score and unerringly and infallibly predict a maturity date for such a wine?? Beats heck outta me.
Tom