The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTNs: GV including a couple antiques

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

WTNs: GV including a couple antiques

by Saina » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:22 pm

Tonight I had to go help a friend drink some GV.

Hirtzberger GV Smaragd Ried Honivogl 2006 - Wachau
14,5% abv. A sweet, honeyed and spicy style, very fruit forward and tropical in style. Rich, only moderate in acidity, and the alcohol is too obvious. The finish lacks a touch of freshness. But despite all this, the aromatics were intriguing enough that I did kind of enjoy my glass! But it was far from the best wine opened tonight.

Jurtschitsch Ried Käferberg 2007 - Kamptal
Oak. Fair acidity, but the bitter oak treatment overwhelmed any GV character. Not for me.

Rudi Pichler GV Smaragd Wösendorfer Kollmütz Reserve 2007 - Wachau
A spicy and ripe style, very attractive green pea and elderflower aromas. The palate is rich and fairly low in acidity, but balanced and the high alcohol (14,5%) doesn't show. Good.

Prager GV Smaragd Ried Achleiten 2008 - Wachau
A rich aroma of spice and apricot. Lovely tangy acidity, a more savoury style than the previous wines with real cut and precision and delineation - a leaner style of GV. Lovely.

Schmelz GV Smaragd Höhereck 2011 - Kamptal
Very primary, some cool-ferment/pear-drop aromas. Nice acidity. But rather forgettable in this company.

Bründlmayer GV Ried Lamm 1999 - Kamptal
A really lovely, perfumed aroma, almost as if it were slightly botrytized, but it also has a fresh green pea aroma. Taut, not too rich though it was a pretty ripe year, good acidity. Lovely.

Bründlmayer Riesling Ried Zöbinger Heiligenstein 2001 1999 - Kamptal
An aged, honeyed, petrolly aroma; dry, powerful, good acidity, long. Nice!

Bründlmayer GV Alte Reben 2001 - Kamptal
I heard some complaints about too much sulfur. I didn't find excessive amounts though this was a bit of a funkier style of GV with some wet wool and again that lovely, fresh green pea aromas. Quite concentrated and acidic, but not too rich. Finishes very fresh. I really liked this though it divided opinions.

Bründlmayer GV Alte Reben 2002 - Kamptal
Aromatically much like the 2001 except weaker in every respect: not quite as intense, not light but still a little watery on the finish.

Bründlmayer GV Alte Reben 2006 - Kamptal
Very primary and sweet fruit; very ripe, hot year character, but amazingly still has adequate acidity. It's not bad, but I did feel it was a bit diffuse and didn't quite have the delineation I hope to see.

Bründlmayer GV Alte Reben 2007 - Kamptal
Aromatically much like the 2006 so I was a afraid this would be another wine flirting with flabbiness. And it was rich, but gladly it also had that extra bit of acidity that kept it rather moreish. But it is extremely primary, so hold.

Weingut Osberger GV Spätlese 1947 - Kremstal (Langenlois)
Clearly old wine aromas, but not dead. Far from it IMO. It was a gentle, calm wine but had some apricot and tea aromas - but, to be frank, these were all more old wine aromas than anything that could be described as typical for GV; it was fully dry with good acidity. I found it both intriguing and very tasty. Some did find it too old.

Weingut Osberger GV Spätlese 1969 - Kremstal (Langenlois)
Really lovely green pea and honey and spice aromas - a mature wine, but one that is very obviously GV. It becomes very savoury and malty with longer exposure to air but remains wonderful. A sweet-savoury palate with fairly soft acidity but enough freshness to keep this very moreish. Incredible. And it seems like there's no hurry (with this bottle at least).

Weinkeller Kirchmayer GV Strasser Sandgrube 1981
Corked.

FX Pichler GV "M" 1999 - Wachau
M = Monumental. And this is a pretty monumental wine: spicy, floral, painfully young, massive and concentrated. Give this 20 years? It is a hugely impressive wine but I do wonder how this will work in a proper setting (i.e. with me drinking more than a tiny tasting sample).

Prager GV Beerenauslese Weissenkirchen Achleiten Wachstum Bodenstein 1998
And finally a sweetie to finish the tasting. The smell is almost absurdly botrytised and has a lot of copper and green pea aromas. Sweet, only moderate in acidity so not terribly intense; yet the finish is very persistent. Nice!
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

Re: WTNs: GV including a couple antiques

by Paul Winalski » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:37 pm

GV = Gruener Veltiner??

Please don't assume that everyone in this forum knows your two-letter abbreviations.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Michael Malinoski

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:11 pm

Sudbury, MA

by Michael Malinoski » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:13 pm

That was a fun read, different from my usual stomping grounds and so all the more interesting. Thank you.

-Michael
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:54 am

I'm very envious. I usually enjoyed young GV but I've never quite got the reverence which some show towards it, in spite of having read Jancis' view that it can "beat" best white Burgundy when mature. Maybe if I had shared in this experience, I would have seen the light.
Tim York
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:48 am

Paul, I thought GV was so ubiquitously used that no explanations were necessary! :)
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:18 am

Otto Nieminen wrote:Paul, I thought GV was so ubiquitously used that no explanations were necessary! :)

Paul clearly thought they had named a grape after Gore Vidal!
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Fredrik L

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Feb 24, 2008 5:54 pm

by Fredrik L » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:39 am

GV is German for sexual intercourse, so the German professor in me started breathing heavier when reading the headline. Boy, was I disappointed... :wink:

Love the FX, by the way!

Greetings from Sweden / Fredrik L
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:16 pm

Fredrik L wrote:GV is German for sexual intercourse, so the German professor in me started breathing heavier when reading the headline. Boy, was I disappointed... :wink:

Fredrik,
Do you know it that's also true in Austria? It would make for some interesting double entendres if so.

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Fredrik L

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Feb 24, 2008 5:54 pm

by Fredrik L » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:31 pm

Of course! Feel free to start using it! :D

Greetings from Sweden / Fredrik L
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:53 pm

Thanks for the notes. Sounds like a fun tasting.

Is Osberger still around?
no avatar
User

Lou Kessler

Rank

Doesn't buy green bananas

Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:20 pm

by Lou Kessler » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:28 pm

Over the years I've tasted a few old GVs from SF Joe that maybe IMHO are not better but equal to a great old white burg. Sounds like a very good tasting.
There was an interest shown in the marketplace in CA for Austrian wines a few years back but it has diminished. Hard to find any distributors for the better producers in SO. Ca especially.