The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Trip to Newport Beach, CA

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Mike Conner

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:35 am

Knoxville, TN

Trip to Newport Beach, CA

by Mike Conner » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:06 pm

I know this isn't the perfect forum to post but I didn't see any posts to the offline forum...

I'm going to be in Newport Beach from Sunday Feb 10 through Thursday Feb 14 for a conference. I have Wednesday evening (Feb 13th) available. Already had short discussion with a friend or two from the conference about doing dinner.

Since I'm flying, I'm not likely to bring wine with me, but I might have a bit of time to get a few bottles while I am there. But, I could be convinced to check a few bottles....

So, if anyone is local and interested, let me know.

Or, if you can suggest a not-too-far-away byo friendly restaurant (taxi distance), I'd be appreciative. Hopefully the day before Valentines won't be a bad evening for a restaurant.

Thanks!

In search of the perfect QPR wine.... does it exist?
no avatar
User

Gregg G

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Mar 24, 2006 5:10 pm

Atwater Village, CA.

Re: Trip to Newport Beach, CA

by Gregg G » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:07 pm

I'm in the next county north. I suggest you stop in at High Times if you want to buy something to drink. For dinner there are several places. Try getting resv at Marche Moderne if you want higher end. Pizzeria Mozza in NB is very popular.
Regards,
Gregg
no avatar
User

Mike Conner

Rank

Ultra geek

Knoxville, TN

by Mike Conner » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:00 am

Gregg,

I'll look both of those up, and ask some of the others who live local who are going to be at the conference.

Care to join in if we pick a place?

Thanks,
Mike

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:15 pm

Mike, by all means, if you're into wine shopping then Hi Times is a must-see kind of place. Wine to the rafters in every nook and cranny--and there are a lot of nooks--in the way it can only happen in a place that's been there for decades and never really started out to become what it is. Has the feel of a treasure hunt, and treasures abound. I never once descended that ramp that is the entry to the wine department without my heart in my throat in anticipation. It's the coolest wine store in Southern California.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Mike Conner

Rank

Ultra geek

Knoxville, TN

by Mike Conner » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:56 pm

Jenise,

Thanks.

I hit Wine Exchange on my last year's conference visit..... a retailer that I've purchased from for years.

The one person with the conference who I've exchanged a few notes mentioned Hi Times in Costa Mesa..... I was aware of them previously, but never purchased from them.

Thanks for the heads up!

Mike

no avatar
User

Gregg G

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Mar 24, 2006 5:10 pm

Atwater Village, CA.

by Gregg G » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:00 pm

Mike Conner wrote:Gregg,

I'll look both of those up, and ask some of the others who live local who are going to be at the conference.

Care to join in if we pick a place?

Thanks,
Mike

Unfortunately, the distance and weekday make it impossible.
Regards,
Gregg
no avatar
User

Mike Conner

Rank

Ultra geek

Knoxville, TN

by Mike Conner » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:18 pm

Gregg G wrote:Unfortunately, the distance and weekday make it impossible.

No sweat. I keep forgetting how spread out that area is . . . . after my little visit to Wine Exchange last year (rented a car after arrival), I drove up the PCH as far as downtown Long Beach and it took a while. Of course, I stopped and had late lunch and a beer or two..... even the trip back to the John Wayne airport to drop off the car from Long Beach was a bit of an excursion. Luckily, I got back there and got cab ride to the motel where they were just beginning the welcome reception...

(not that you needed to know all that!)

Thanks,
Mike