The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

NYTimes: Asimov on Slovene Wines

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

NYTimes: Asimov on Slovene Wines

by TomHill » Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:36 pm

Nicely done article by Eric in today's NYTimes on Slevene wines:
NYTimeas:SloveneWines

Focus is on the white wines, but they do some very nice reds as well, especially w/ Refosk.
I've particularly liked the wines of EdiSimcic and MarjanSimcic as well as Vodopivec and Zidarich.
Tom
no avatar
User

Andrew Bair

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:16 pm

Massachusetts

Re: NYTimes: Asimov on Slovene Wines

by Andrew Bair » Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:25 pm

Hi Tom -

Thank you for reminding me of the article. For Slovenian wines,I have to say that Movia makes an interesting Pinot Nero - maybe it isn't what a Burgundy expert would be after, but it is definitely an interesting wine.

I do realize that the Friulian-Slovenian border has more to do with politics than terroir, but should note that Zidarich and Vodopivec are both based in Friuli rather than Slovenia.
no avatar
User

Marco Raimondi

Rank

Wine geek

Sat Oct 27, 2007 10:50 am

Chicago

by Marco Raimondi » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:15 pm

Here in Berwyn, Il. we're lucky 'cause we have "Autre Monde" (restaurant) and "House Red" (wine shop...in nearby Forest Park). Owners of each love Slovenian whites... so do I!

Look for Blazic Jakot (Tokaj) 2010, or Rebula 2006 (an "orange wine" AKA Ribolla, in Italy ), and Verus Furmint 2010, all three from Slovenia.

Furmint is the grape that is used to make the great Hungarian Tokaji, and because of this, producers of the "Istrian"/"Slovenian" Tokai/Tokaj (made from a completely different grape: Sauvignon Vert/Sauvignonasse) were compelled by the EU to abandon the name. The Friulian wines are now labelled: "Friulano", and some Slovenians label the wines "Jakot" (Tokaj backwards, as in thumbing their noses at the Hungarians).
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Good....

by TomHill » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:42 am

Marco Raimondi wrote:Here in Berwyn, Il. we're lucky 'cause we have "Autre Monde" (restaurant) and "House Red" (wine shop...in nearby Forest Park). Owners of each love Slovenian whites... so do I!

Look for Blazic Jakot (Tokaj) 2010, or Rebula 2006 (an "orange wine" AKA Ribolla, in Italy ), and Verus Furmint 2010, all three from Slovenia.

Furmint is the grape that is used to make the great Hungarian Tokaji, and because of this, producers of the "Istrian"/"Slovenian" Tokai/Tokaj (made from a completely different grape: Sauvignon Vert/Sauvignonasse) were compelled by the EU to abandon the name. The Friulian wines are now labelled: "Friulano", and some Slovenians label the wines "Jakot" (Tokaj backwards, as in thumbing their noses at the Hungarians).

Hadn't heard that story, Marco. Good for them...nothing like thumbing your noses at the bureaucrats sometime.
Tom
no avatar
User

Dan Smothergill

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 2:24 pm

Syracuse, NY

by Dan Smothergill » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:01 pm

Tom,
Curious as to where you got this on Jan. 25. It only appeared today, Jan. 30, in the New York Times which I believe is Asimov's employer.
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Uhhhhh...

by TomHill » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:33 am

Dan Smothergill wrote:Tom,
Curious as to where you got this on Jan. 25. It only appeared today, Jan. 30, in the New York Times which I believe is Asimov's employer.

Uhhhh...I have my ways, Dan!!! :-)
I just noticed it on the on-line NYTimes Fri morning. Date under by-line says Jan 24 it was published.
Tom
no avatar
User

Dan Smothergill

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 2:24 pm

Syracuse, NY

by Dan Smothergill » Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:29 pm

We went to Slovenia several years ago for the wines. Generally, there wasn't much to talk about in the mid-price range ($12 -$20). Brda was a lot better than eastern Slovenia, but the industry as a whole hasn't filled the mid-price range with quality. It's a totally unfair comparison, but I'll make it anyway. You get a lot more for your buck in New York.