The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: wines with a killer (me)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: wines with a killer (me)

by Dale Williams » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:38 pm

Friday with leftover roast beef, Italian wedding soup, and assorted leftover vegetables while listening to old Talking Heads, the 2009 Ch.Cote Montpezat “Cuvee Compostelle” (Cotes de Castillon). Forgetable, anonymous, soft, ripe, oaky. Fine if big fruit is what you want in your Bordeaux. This is not my beautiful house wine. C+/B-

Saturday I used konbu and bonito to make a broth, added some sauteed chicken breast and shiitakes, served with sauteed spinach and the 2009 AJ Adam “Hofberg” Kabinett; unfortunately Herr Adam invited TCA to dinner. Replacement was the 2002 Leitz “Rudeshiemer Klosterlay” Kabinett- drinking well, citrus and apple, chalky mineral notes, good length. B+

Sunday made a potato chip tortilla, my first attempt at a Ferran Adria recipe. OK, simplest recipe I’ve ever seen from him, fun and easy.
http://oneperfectbite.blogspot.com/2013 ... anish.html

Wine was the delicious (2010) Brulees “L’Erebe”. Just a natural and fun wine, black raspberry and black cherry, rose petals, good dirt. I like a lot and ordered more. B++

Monday some friends had a murder mystery dinner with a New Orleans theme. I (the killer actually) made maque choux and collards, Rachel had made jambalaya and New Orleans style shrimp (sauteed with a spicy butter sauce), Sarah made mini crabcakes, John and Lynn a fennel salad. There were some wines - a sweet and appley Prosecco that I never saw the label for, but wouldn’t seek out, plus

2011 Peju Sauvignon Blanc
I’ve never liked Peju’s reds, but this isn’t bad at all for a midsized Cali white. No obvious oak, middling acids, peach and citrus. B

Marietta Old Vines Lot #58
Juicy and round, this might even have a bit of RS, popular though. I like less than some other recent lots. B-/C+

1998 Coudoulet du Beaucastel
Ripe fruit, earth, briary, underbrush, showing well. B+

There was supposed to be a Selbach-Oster Kab to counter the heat in the jambalaya, but somehow when we left house I grabbed a Champagne (as hostess gift) and a Lafon Macon from fridge, when I got to party and discovered I had Chardonnay not Riesling I put in back in my bag. Fun night, but I prefer when I can talk with my friends as me, not some murderer.

Tuesday we had Meatless Monday :)
I made a pizza with spinach, tomatoes, olives, and feta, wine was the 2010 Benaza
Godello.
Macon-esque, crisp, ripe full fruit but with plenty of acidity, great deal. B+/B

Tonight Betsy made sauteed salmon with fresh herbs, rice, and Brussels sprouts. Kimchi, fukujinzuke, umeboshi, and the 2002 Williams-Selyem Pinot Noir (Russian River Valley) completed the meal. Red cherries, a little vanilla coke, moderate acids, a tad short for a $30-40 wine. B-

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent
wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a
party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of
objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.