The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Wine by the Chemist's Recipe Book

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

Wine by the Chemist's Recipe Book

by Brian K Miller » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:26 pm

I thought this was a fascinating article on the various additives available on the market for home winemaking. Truly remarkable how "wine" can be reduced to various chemical additives and amendments!

http://www.wineterroirs.com/2013/01/mak ... .html#more
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Bill Hooper

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:46 am

McMinnville, OR

Re: Wine by the Chemist's Recipe Book

by Bill Hooper » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:36 pm

Brian K Miller wrote:I thought this was a fascinating article on the various additives available on the market for home winemaking. Truly remarkable how "wine" can be reduced to various chemical additives and amendments!

http://www.wineterroirs.com/2013/01/mak ... .html#more

Home winemaking? You might be shocked to know how many of these additives are used by MANY, MANY, MANY, very famous 'Top-Quality' wineries throughout the world.
Wein schenkt Freude
ITB paetrawine.com
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:18 pm

Actually, that's a very small sample of products available. I use a few of those additives when necessary, but my experience has taught me that the less one does, the better the wine, but that is a function of quality grapes.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:50 pm

Bill Hooper wrote:Home winemaking? You might be shocked to know how many of these additives are used by MANY, MANY, MANY, very famous 'Top-Quality' wineries throughout the world.

Oh yeah, Bill. Did not mean to imply in any way that these were home-only products. In fact, their use in commercial wines was one of the underlying themes of the article! :wink:
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach