The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: nice Costieres de Nimes white

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jim Grow

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:31 am

Rockbridge Ohio

WTN: nice Costieres de Nimes white

by Jim Grow » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:30 pm

2011 Michel Gassier Nostre Pais from the Costieres de Nimes, for $16 was a excellent white with lots of white Rhone character. The blend of %90 Grenache Blanc, %5 Roussanne and %5 Viognier was medium-full bodied with a palate and taste of pears and a slight metalic note like lacquer that just added to the allure. At %14 abv it was not hot at all and my wife who is very sensitive that way really liked it and actually had 2 glasses. This wine might be even more appealing given 4-5 years of cellar time as the balance was excellent. I have 5 more bottles but will probably buy more if it becomes available.
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

Re: WTN: nice Costieres de Nimes white

by Bob Henrick » Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:01 pm

Jim, I looked through the web page of the winery and these wines seem to be quite interesting. The higher level whites contain quite a lot of roussanne, and the reds contain a varying amounts of mourvedre in them. My taste runs more toward marsanne, but I do also like roussanne. Who is the importer and distributor of these wines?
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:06 pm

Jim Grow wrote:...a palate and taste of pears and a slight metalic note like lacquer... At %14 abv...

I must admit that this combination does not sound very attractive to me, or something that I would want to age. But, different strokes for different folks.

Let us know how it goes.
no avatar
User

Jim Grow

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:31 am

Rockbridge Ohio

by Jim Grow » Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:31 pm

Bob, this wine is an Eric Solomon Selection, imported by European Cellars out of Charlotte, N.C.