The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Tyrrell’s 1992 Vat 1 Semillon

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David Lole

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:49 am

Canberra, Australia

WTN: Tyrrell’s 1992 Vat 1 Semillon

by David Lole » Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:47 am

Today, we enjoyed lunch at a most ambient historic local cafe and opened another blast from the past. Tyrrell’s 1992 Vat 1 Semillon can be a quite remarkakle wine (rated in the past up to 95 points). Our bottle today was reminiscent of how I found this about a decade ago! Possessing many of the great aged qualities one looks for in a profound Hunter semillon, this bottle requires more aging to be at its peak. It displayed a relatively youthful lemon gold colour, plenty of soapy, lime and lemon preserve fruit, spritzy G&T-like acidity and the telltale complex aged semillon notes of lemon butter, honey, toast and nuts. Unfortunately, these facets have not quite integrated and the wine deliverd a slightly edgy, somewhat unresolved overall impression. I rated it about excellent and, in this bottle’s case award it a “+” sign for a higher rating down the track once it fills out and matures! 90+ points. Quite high A/V for a Tyrrell’s Vat 1 at 12%A/V.
Cheers,

David
no avatar
User

Mark S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:28 pm

CNY

Re: WTN: Tyrrell’s 1992 Vat 1 Semillon

by Mark S » Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:53 pm

This sounds absolutely wonderful. Wish these were more readily available in the States!
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:28 am

David Lole wrote:Today, we enjoyed lunch at a most ambient historic local cafe and opened another blast from the past. Tyrrell’s 1992 Vat 1 Semillon can be a quite remarkakle wine (rated in the past up to 95 points). Our bottle today was reminiscent of how I found this about a decade ago! Possessing many of the great aged qualities one looks for in a profound Hunter semillon, this bottle requires more aging to be at its peak. It displayed a relatively youthful lemon gold colour, plenty of soapy, lime and lemon preserve fruit, spritzy G&T-like acidity and the telltale complex aged semillon notes of lemon butter, honey, toast and nuts. Unfortunately, these facets have not quite integrated and the wine deliverd a slightly edgy, somewhat unresolved overall impression. I rated it about excellent and, in this bottle’s case award it a “+” sign for a higher rating down the track once it fills out and matures! 90+ points. Quite high A/V for a Tyrrell’s Vat 1 at 12%A/V.

That's good to hear, David. We tasted quite a few when visiting Tyrrell's in the Hunter last year (along with Brokenwood, Mt. Pleasant and McGuigan) and were entranced by their ability to age gracefully (not that that came as a great surprise). We brought back as many as we could carry, but the oldest Hunter Semillon we now own is a '97 McGuigan. No doubt though that Vat 1 deserves its iconic status, as your note ably demonstrates.

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:07 pm

Corti Brothers had a bottle or two of the 1996! Maybe I should check it out!
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

David Lole

Rank

Wine guru

Canberra, Australia

by David Lole » Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:16 pm

Brian K Miller wrote:Corti Brothers had a bottle or two of the 1996! Maybe I should check it out!

Be careful, I just dumped mine ..... all oxidised to the hilt (I've been sitting on mine in my cool cellar in wooden cases for many, many years). Check the colour in the bottle before you buy.
Cheers,

David
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:54 pm

David Lole wrote:
Brian K Miller wrote:Corti Brothers had a bottle or two of the 1996! Maybe I should check it out!

Be careful, I just dumped mine ..... all oxidised to the hilt (I've been sitting on mine in my cool cellar in wooden cases for many, many years). Check the colour in the bottle before you buy.

Yikes.
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

David Lole

Rank

Wine guru

Canberra, Australia

by David Lole » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:40 am

Mark Lipton wrote:
David Lole wrote:Today, we enjoyed lunch at a most ambient historic local cafe and opened another blast from the past. Tyrrell’s 1992 Vat 1 Semillon can be a quite remarkakle wine (rated in the past up to 95 points). Our bottle today was reminiscent of how I found this about a decade ago! Possessing many of the great aged qualities one looks for in a profound Hunter semillon, this bottle requires more aging to be at its peak. It displayed a relatively youthful lemon gold colour, plenty of soapy, lime and lemon preserve fruit, spritzy G&T-like acidity and the telltale complex aged semillon notes of lemon butter, honey, toast and nuts. Unfortunately, these facets have not quite integrated and the wine deliverd a slightly edgy, somewhat unresolved overall impression. I rated it about excellent and, in this bottle’s case award it a “+” sign for a higher rating down the track once it fills out and matures! 90+ points. Quite high A/V for a Tyrrell’s Vat 1 at 12%A/V.

That's good to hear, David. We tasted quite a few when visiting Tyrrell's in the Hunter last year (along with Brokenwood, Mt. Pleasant and McGuigan) and were entranced by their ability to age gracefully (not that that came as a great surprise). We brought back as many as we could carry, but the oldest Hunter Semillon we now own is a '97 McGuigan. No doubt though that Vat 1 deserves its iconic status, as your note ably demonstrates.

Mark Lipton

Thanks, Mark.
Cheers,

David