Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.
no avatar
User

Harry J

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:31 pm

Are You Listening/WeeksEnd wine

by Harry J » Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:53 am

bsd
While seeing a powerfull song I heard a beautifull scene. Yes; our senses each hopefully provide us with specific functions,each a unique gift unto itself yet all components a part of the whole.Kind of like people each an individual, no two exactly alike;yet the power we can have if we work together is virtualy unlimited.
Have a good one; h
User

Gabriel Geller

Rank

'So-called' wine expert

Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:46 pm

Jerusalem, Israel

Re: Are You Listening/WeeksEnd wine

by Gabriel Geller » Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:55 pm

Hi Harry,

Friday:

Tasted the following wines Friday morning with Psagot's winemaker Josh Hexter and fellow Forumite Mark Lieser and his lovely wife Yael:

Psagot, Cabernet Franc 2010: Whereas many other Israeli CF are blended with about 5-15% of either/both Petit Verdot or Merlot, this one is made entirely from Cabernet Franc grapes from the Mata Vineyard in the Judean Hills (close to the Ella Valley) from which Flam and Tulip among other wineries also source some of their grapes. The color and especially the nose of this wine reminds me of what Rogov z'l said about their 2007 or 2009 vintage:
"Anyone that mistakes it for anything else other than Cabernet Franc must be at least half brain dead"
... :lol: Deep cherry-red with on the nose screaming fresh juicy green and red bell peppers, sour cherries and fresh tobacco leaves. Medium-bodied the palate is filled with plums, charred bell peppers, red cherries, earthy minerals, spicy cedar wood with good acidity and focused nice tannins rising on the moderately long finish. Quite young with a few more years to improve and shine. Definitely one of the best israeli expressions of the variety and very reminiscent of the last one I've tasted at the Ella Valley winery (2009).

Psagot, Single Vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon 2009: Dark garnet with a light purple hue, the nose is filled with black currants, blackberries, toasted oak and dark chocolate. Full-bodied with on the palate ripe, bold crushed and juicy forest fruit, spicy oak, espresso, slightly sweetened pecan nuts, a hint of graphite and then what seems like chili-pepper flavored backers chocolate with a tiny bit of heat showing (that blows off after some swirling in the glass) prior to the rising of the mouth-drying, searing tannins on the long, plush finish. A beautiful wine for any CabSav lover that I'm convinced will show some grace and elegance in 1-2 years.

Eden, Wild Red 2009: This was most certainly my best bottle ever of this great CabSav-Merlot blend from Kerem Ben Zimra. It's now clearly at the top of its game and will likely go downhill in about a year at most so I'd suggest to not wait too long if you still have any bottle left. Josh Hexter loved it. :D

Finished all the aforementioned bottles Friday night in the good company of my dad who showed quite some enthusiasm for the wine. Topped off the meal with a good glass of Aberlour 10 Years.

Shabbat lunch:

Binyamina, Cabernet Sauvignon Reserve 2006: Beautiful and juicy as last time almost a year ago with the tannins having fully integrated. The wine has filed for retirement very recently so drink up!

Wishing you all an excellent and fulfilling week,

GG
User

YoelA

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:43 pm

San Francisco area

by YoelA » Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:42 am

2008 Vitkin cabernet franc. Bought at thhe winery last year, when it was pretty young and fairly tannic. Different from most other carbernet francs; doesn't have the bell pepper element but does have a lot of fruit and some spice; would develop further, but we opened it in honor of a friend who finally found a job and who asked for an Israeli wine to celebrate (and we all did). If you have any, or even if you don't, it's excellent.
no avatar
User

Isaac Chavel

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:54 am

by Isaac Chavel » Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:45 am

Friday night: 2010 Le Mourre de l'Isle. Lovely as ever. Also tasted 2009 Carmel Appelation Cabernet Sauvignon. Very nice, but a drop too sweet for me. Shabbat lunch: 2010 Joseph Mellot Sancerre and 2009 Gush Etzion Cabernet Franc. Both just wonderful.

I have had the Sancerre before and it did not disappoint. I've noticed some complaints about it by others but do not count me in. On the other hand, it is somewhat overpriced.

The cab franc started out a bit tight but opened up beautifully with some elegance and restraint. I think, at this point, my pecking order in cab francs (1) 2010 Psagot (2) 2009 Gush Eztion (3) 2009 Ella Valley --- just preference, all in the same quality class. I haven't had many others from Israel in recent memory. Hope to rectify the situation.
no avatar
User

Adam M

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:08 pm

NYC

by Adam M » Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:50 am

2004 Yarden El Rom Cabernet Sauvignon - superbly mature.
User

David Raccah

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:18 am

Bay Area, CA

by David Raccah » Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:58 am

Isaac Chavel wrote:Friday night: 2010 Le Mourre de l'Isle. Lovely as ever. Also tasted 2009 Carmel Appelation Cabernet Sauvignon. Very nice, but a drop too sweet for me. Shabbat lunch: 2010 Joseph Mellot Sancerre and 2009 Gush Etzion Cabernet Franc. Both just wonderful.

I have had the Sancerre before and it did not disappoint. I've noticed some complaints about it by others but do not count me in. On the other hand, it is somewhat overpriced.

The cab franc started out a bit tight but opened up beautifully with some elegance and restraint. I think, at this point, my pecking order in cab francs (1) 2010 Psagot (2) 2009 Gush Eztion (3) 2009 Ella Valley --- just preference, all in the same quality class. I haven't had many others from Israel in recent memory. Hope to rectify the situation.

Isaac my man! I am happy you too think the 09 Carmel Cab is too sweet. Felt that way about the Shiraz as well, while the Merlot from Shaal was just right. You and I do not see eye to eye on the Sancerre, but that is fine - did you find it dry and acidic enough, I found it lacking. The Royal event will have other Sancerre - not that one, I think Victor brings in that bottle - correct? LOVE the 2009 Gush CF as posted in my blog about the winery visit - FILTHY!
Checkout http://www.kosherwinemusings.com for my blogs on the world of kosher wines and follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/kosherwinemuse.
no avatar
User

E Segel

Rank

Wine geek

Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:33 pm

Brooklyn, NY

by E Segel » Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:44 am

Covenant Landsman Lodi Zinfandel 2011 - superb. Dark in color, alot of fruit, slightly sweet to the taste yet full-bodied. Definitely did not need any time and an excellent wine.
Regards,
Eli
User

Bill Coleman

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:14 pm

Chicago, Illinois

by Bill Coleman » Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:06 am

Yarden Merlot Kela Vineyard 2006. Terrific!
Psagot Chardonnay 2005. There was a reason for it to be in the clearance bin.
no avatar
User

Stacey B

Rank

Wine geek

Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:30 pm

by Stacey B » Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:58 am

Alexander Gaston 2007. Really bitter, not enjoyable.
no avatar
User

Isaac Chavel

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:54 am

by Isaac Chavel » Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:29 am

David Raccah wrote:You and I do not see eye to eye on the Sancerre, but that is fine - did you find it dry and acidic enough, I found it lacking. The Royal event will have other Sancerre - not that one, I think Victor brings in that bottle - correct? LOVE the 2009 Gush CF as posted in my blog about the winery visit - FILTHY!

I admit the Sancerre (yes, imported by Victor---who is the other importer/brand?) is not as dry and acidic as others, but I find it pleases greatly nonetheless. I also admit that the company finishes the bottle rather quickly --- they clearly like these qualities dialled back a bit.

Yes, I saw your blog on the Gush CF. In going through the blog, I had to clear my palate after every four to six wines. :)
User

Gabriel Geller

Rank

'So-called' wine expert

Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:46 pm

Jerusalem, Israel

by Gabriel Geller » Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:06 am

I just tasted both the 2009 Gush Etzion Cabernet Franc and Cabernet Sauvignon minutes ago. Read Dave's notes, other than less flavor descriptors, my notes aren't much different. 8)

Best,

GG
Last edited by Gabriel Geller on Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Mark Lieser

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:36 pm

by Mark Lieser » Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:32 pm

I have to thank Gabriel for inviting my wife and me to taste (for the second time) the Psagot CF. (And thanks to Josh Hexter, as well.) I have little to add to GG's notes. It was excellent - and a completely different wine than the one I tasted at the winery last month. As I wrote earlier, though, I suspected that that was from a bottle that had been open far too long. I retract any reservations I had about it at the visit.

The Single Vineyard CS - well, I loved it at the winery, so it was a pleasure to drink it again.

My only disagreement with Gabriel is on the Eden Wild Red. I do owe him a debt of gratitude for opening the bottle for us, as it assured me that it was still drinkable - something that had worried me as the night before I had stumbled on a bottle in my cellar that I had forgotten about. It is still quite good, but I would not say that it's at the "top of its game." Maybe just past the top - at least in our opinion.

I opened my bottle of the Wild Red for Shabbat lunch. It was good, but no match for the Ella Valley CS 2007 that we drank Friday night.

Mark
User

YoelA

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:43 pm

San Francisco area

by YoelA » Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:33 pm

Bought a bottle of the Gush 2009 CF last year. Had tasted the 2008 and was going to buy a bottle but Shraga said the 2009 was the best he had yet made so I got a bottle of the 09 instead. Sounds like he was right.
no avatar
User

Harry J

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:31 pm

by Harry J » Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:57 pm

Hi; tishbi vineyards 2011 cab fri nite. Much better than the shiraz of this series.by day terra vega carmenere ,an ok quaffer.h
no avatar
User

Z Spigelman

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Jul 20, 2008 4:26 am

Neve Tzuf, Israel

by Z Spigelman » Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:58 pm

Friday night opened a Yarden Cabernet Sauvignon 2007 and a Bravdo CS 2008, and held a blind tatsting for my wife and son.
Both preferred the Yarden which was full -bodied as compared to the medium-bodied Bravdo. The Bravdo was more fruity with plenty of berries while the Yarden was rich in chocolate.
Enjoyed the Bravdo more than the Yarden at Shabbat lunch.
Zvi
no avatar
User

Isaac C

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Dec 29, 2009 3:53 pm

NYC

by Isaac C » Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:37 pm

Carmel Appelation Cabernet 2009 - it did not do it for me - I remember liking this more at the KFWE a year ago, now it just seemed very standard and there was nothing unique or flavorful about it.
User

Yehoshua Werth

Rank

Wine guru

Thu May 19, 2011 3:29 pm

Monsey, New York USA

by Yehoshua Werth » Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:51 pm

Wow Fun Shabbos...

Kiddush = 2011 Tulip Just Merlot which I feel is too young and a little disjointed and got MUCH better after 1-2 Days.
Like the 2010 now! This wine may come around in a good way...

My wife made an amazing white fish with some funky Herbal white sauce...
Went great with: 2010 Tulip Mostly Cabernet Franc... Best Cabernet Franc I have tasted!

Then the Challah and dips went with: 2010 Tulip Mostly Shiraz

Dessert was nice with: 2010 Tulip Cabernet Sauvignon Reserve

On its own sipping thru Shabbat was the: 2010 Syrah Reserve(and yes different Clones and style from the Mostly Shiraz)
Wow what a super fun and clean drinking long finishing wine :)

Thank you Tulip for coming by the Store and welcoming us to such a range of new wines!
Yehoshua Werth, Manager
The GrapeVine Wines & Spirits
Monsey, NY USA
http://www.youtube.com/TheGrapevineWines
no avatar
User

Adam M

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:08 pm

NYC

by Adam M » Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:24 pm

Yehoshua - wouldn't have thought to pair white fish with cab franc. I'm glad you enjoyed it!
no avatar
User

Steven B

Rank

Wine geek

Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:59 am

by Steven B » Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:08 am

Hi Harry,

2009 Elvi Mati Rioja

Shavua Tov
User

Andrew B

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:49 pm

by Andrew B » Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:11 am

2010 Psagot Cabernet Sauvignon-- medium bodied, nice herbal/minty note, a touch of green, pleasant, but overall didn't excite.
no avatar
User

Pinchas L

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:04 pm

Brooklyn, NY

by Pinchas L » Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:02 pm

Hi Harry,

After several months scoring the wines I drink, I'm considering adding a third component to the score, a simple Y/N indicator, stating whether or not I would buy this wine again, given the opportunity. For the most part this column indicates whether or not I feel this wine is "best of class," particularly enjoyable, or that I'm curious to learn how it will develop over time. Personally, I believe that for a given wine this column is the one with the greatest chance of changing over time. Of course, the notes themselves will change as the wine matures, but I expect the scoring to remain consistent until the wine falls apart. However, I am curious to see at what point I lose interest in a particular wine, indicating that I will no longer purchase additional bottles. A decision on my part not to purchase this wine again, doesn't necessarily mean that I won't drink it again, since in reality I might have stocked up on the wine and I need to deplete that stock. Neither is it an indication that the wine in question is not good, as sometimes a wine might be too similar in style to another wine I prefer, and I don't find it interesting to drink both. Alternatively, an indication that I would purchase the wine again doesn't necessary mean that I like the wine, I might just be curious to see how the wine develops down the road. The price of the wine also plays a role in deciding whether or not to purchase more of a particular wine. Also, at times I purchase certain wines because I feel that others sitting around the table will enjoy them.

Neve Ilan Blanc 2009 - Currently the fruit plays a secondary role to the oak and the minerals. The most distinguishing aspect of the wine at present is its salinity, and the interplay of that with the vanilla imparted by the oak and the brioche makes the wine remind me of bittersweet chocolate covered pretzels (I know there is no chocolate in the wine's profile). The fruit profile lurking in the background is a blend of tropical and citrus fruit. 13.5% AbV and about 90 NIS on release. B+/***/Y

Four Gates Merlot La Rochelle 2006 - I had difficulty decoding this wine: the mid-palate is rather flabby, the fruit is not very focused, and the tannins are pretty soft. I prefer the MSC bottling, though I don't recall whether or not there was one for this vintage. 14.9% AbV, and I don't recall the exact price though I think it was about $26. C/**/N

Yarden HeightsWine 2010 - This dessert wine is made of Gewurztraminer. To me this is a very richly honeyed wine of a very heavy texture possessing overwhelming notes of apricots. Its best consumed frozen as a sorbet. Too bad the grapes were thawed after being frozen. At this point I don't find it to be complex, and I duly complain about its lack of acidity. In many ways I find its style to be over the top. Its residual sugar is 17.9% and its alcohol is 12% AbV. I received this as a gift. C+/na/Y

Best,
-> Pinchas

Grading for quality: A - marvellous, B - good/intriguing, C - mediocre/uninspiring, D - subjectively flawed, F - objectively flawed
Grading for value: *** - it's a steal, ** - it's a reasonable deal, * - you've been robbed
Indication of further interest: Y - will purchase again, N - will not purchase again
Last edited by Pinchas L on Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

gaston k

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:32 pm

by gaston k » Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:21 pm

Fri Night - Dalton Petite Sirah 2009 - last bottle of one of my best QPR purchases. Finished bottle which is rare in one sitting for me.
Sat Lunch - Casa De Courso 2007 - nothing special, and the Affligem Noel I had afterwards lost some of its zip as well.
no avatar
User

Elie Poltorak

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:05 pm

by Elie Poltorak » Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:20 am

Just a bottle of '09 Peraj Petita for me. A-/***. Delightful and easy drinking. Really showing well these days. Real crowd pleaser too,.