The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2005 Jayer-Gilles Cote de Nuits Village

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Joshua Kates

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:48 pm

WTN: 2005 Jayer-Gilles Cote de Nuits Village

by Joshua Kates » Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:21 pm

WTN: 2005 Jayer-Gilles Cote de Nuits Village (11-14% on bottle; it did not seem especially alcoholic)

In the nose, very pure red fruits, alongside at first a note of brett that worried me after last week’s experience. (Dale, did you ever try your ’04 Mugnier Chambolle-Musigny?) The brett blew off, and did not return, but the wine, though aromatically open, was closed in the glass. Decanted. The buzzy acidity receded and it soon displayed a very lovely strawberryish core, with noticeable tobacco/briar accent that gave it a nice chewiness. A little later, a hint of earth and clove entered toward the finish. Not an exceptionally long wine, nor f exceptionally complex, but balanced, solid, fun, interesting to drink, and, remarkably still on the young side—could easily spend another 3-7 years in the cellar.

QUESTION for you “burgmeisters” (Dale, Fredrick, David, etc,--you know who you are): in the recent reporting around a certain congressman’s trip to a restaurant and his ordering of a bottle of Burgundy perceived to be outlandishly expensive, Jayer-Gilles was referred to as a middle-level producer? Is that generally correct? I had always thought the domaine’s reputation better than that.
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

Re: WTN: 2005 Jayer-Gilles Cote de Nuits Village

by JC (NC) » Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:50 pm

I have enjoyed some Jayer-Gilles Cote de Nuits Village in the past--I don't currently own any. Henri Jayer had a tremendous reputation but this producer (some relation to Henri, perhaps a cousin or nephew?) is not as famous. That said, I got a lot of pleasure from the Cote de Nuits Village wines I owned.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:37 pm

I think Jayer Gilles is fairly respected, and prices generally reflect that. For me it's a style issue, usually more polished and oaky than producers where I concentrate my money (though I've heard they dialed back oak).
No, haven't grabbed the Mugnier yet, will report when I do
no avatar
User

Joshua Kates

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:48 pm

by Joshua Kates » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:42 pm

Thanks JC and Dale,

For your help!

Josh