The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: In which a WA wine has Bob convinced it's Bordeaux

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

WTN: In which a WA wine has Bob convinced it's Bordeaux

by Jenise » Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:03 pm

Opened a 1999 Andrew Will Sorella last night that I purchased recently after sampling my first Sorella at a trade tasting. 'Sorella' is winemaker Chris Camarda's proprietary name for a Bordeaux blend that seems to range anywhere from the 65% cabernet/25% merlot plus the other usual suspects that were in this bottle to the 80% cabernet/10% cab franc plus that make up the current 2009 release.

And this is how it works up here in the Pacific Northest Westest: a fantastic Bordeaux-like wine is being made right under my nose but I have to stumble over it all by myself because most of the people I share wine with don't share my preference for European style wines. Or if they do, they don't buy Washington wines.

This one's a gem. Deep garnet-hued red color hints at some age. On the nose, which is delightfully effusive and attractive, red fruit, spice, leather and just a touch of barnyard tricks the DH (darling hubby) into believing I've served him Bordeaux. There's also cedar, graphite, tobacco and cherry pie going on. The balance is good but better with the first glass than the last, where the finish gets a bit clipped and suggests the wine has peaked. We were nonetheless impressed, and I'll be buying more vintages for our cellar.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: In which a WA wine has Bob convinced it's Bordeaux

by David M. Bueker » Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:35 pm

I have liked the Sorella. Have not had anything more recent than 2001, but enjoyed them all.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

James Dietz

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:45 pm

Orange County, California

by James Dietz » Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:43 pm

A little pricey, but in the scheme of things....
Cheers, Jim
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:00 pm

Jenise wrote:...And this is how it works up here in the Pacific Northest Westest: a fantastic Bordeaux-like wine is being made right under my nose but I have to stumble over it all by myself because most of the people I share wine with don't share my preference for European style wines. Or if they do, they don't buy Washington wines....
Not just PNW. There's a very nice restaurant about 5 miles from me, located at the top of the Niagara Escarpment, with a beautiful view (vineyards, orchards, Lake Ontario and the Toronto Skyline on the horizon). They have good food, but not a single NY State wine on their wine list, let alone anything from the 40+ wineries within 20 miles. Why do people have inferiority complexes about their local wines?
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.