The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: I finally get to try Giacosa!

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

WTN: I finally get to try Giacosa!

by Saina » Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:57 pm

Though I love Nebbiolo I have some surprising gaps in my experience. Until today I had not tasted Giacosa. But a friend had bought a few and kindly opened three of them for a small group. All had been decanted during the day so had had about 6h exposure to air. No meal this time, just some salami, bread and parmigiano.

We started with the Bruno Giacosa Barbaresco 1997 which was quite a delight. I haven't always cared for the '97s in Piemonte but this was lovely: bright aromas where the ripe year character hasn't obfuscated Nebbiolo's aromas at all. Sturdy and powerful, still fairly tannic but sweetly fruity, too. Very nicely refreshing finish though not strongly acidic. Very nice.

Next was a Bruno Giacosa Barbaresco Riserva 1990 which was a nice wine but IMO quite atypical for the grape. It was very dark in colour and very dark in aromas and almost raisiny in character. Quite thick and young and tannic but it gladly had more freshness and acidity on the finish than I expected from the hot year style of the wine. It was a very pleasant drink but not recognizable as Nebbiolo.

Finally we had a mystery bottle, a Giacosa 1967 but since most of the label is missing we don't know what Giacosa it might be! (If anyone can tell from the picture below, do tell!). Six hours of exposure to air didn't hurt this wine at all (in fact, I've often noted that long exposure to air only does good for Nebbiolo of this age!). Quite a delightful wine and quite stereotypical in its tar and flowers aromas; good grip and freshness, in fact it is amazingly youthful in its fruit - if given blind I would have guessed late '80s or early '90s, not the '60s. Interminable finish. Whatever Giacosa this was, this was a really pretty but still powerful wine.

I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Victorwine

Rank

Wine guru

Thu May 18, 2006 9:51 pm

Re: WTN: I finally get to try Giacosa!

by Victorwine » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:25 pm

Hi Otto,

Excellent tasting!!! By the vintage neck label my guess would be a “White Label”- Non Reserve, Giacosa Barbaresco or Giacosa Barolo. Check out the following links and scroll down to 1967 under both wines.

http://finewinegeek.com/giacosa/barbaresco/index.html
http://finewinegeek.com/giacosa/barolo/

Salute
no avatar
User

Fredrik L

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Feb 24, 2008 5:54 pm

Re: WTN: I finally get to try Giacosa!

by Fredrik L » Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:37 am

Otto,
both 1989 and 1990 are atypical Giacosa years and bottles from those years are even more sensitive than usual to bad cellaring. If they have been slightly warmly stored, they loose their freshness and grip immediately. (The same goes for Voerzio, by the way. Bottles on the secondary market are never, ever perfect :evil: )

In fact, almost all 1990s on the secondary market have been too warmly stored. When people complain about the Monfortino being overripe and raisiny, it´s not the wine, it´s the godamn cellar! :evil:

Greetings from Sweden / Fredrik L