The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

So what are we opening this weekend?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

Re: So what are we opening this weekend?

by Tim York » Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:31 am

Bob Parsons Alberta wrote:Attended local winestores Xmas staff party with a visit to a very good Chinese restaurant. We drank a lot of German wines but the standout for me was the `06 Donnhoff Grauburgunder S.
14% alc, deep lemon color. Great nose/herb/spice/white stonefruit/long finish. Went terrific with oysters in black bean sauce. More notes to come asap.
14 courses, 20 wines total. :mrgreen:

Pinot gris with oysters is counter-intuitive. But Carl von Schubert once suggested at a tasting here that his mature Spätlese was wonderful with oysters which is even more counter-intuitive. Was this GB/PG bone dry?
Tim York
no avatar
User

Bill Hooper

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:46 am

McMinnville, OR

by Bill Hooper » Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:35 am

Tim York wrote:
Bob Parsons Alberta wrote:Attended local winestores Xmas staff party with a visit to a very good Chinese restaurant. We drank a lot of German wines but the standout for me was the `06 Donnhoff Grauburgunder S.
14% alc, deep lemon color. Great nose/herb/spice/white stonefruit/long finish. Went terrific with oysters in black bean sauce. More notes to come asap.
14 courses, 20 wines total. :mrgreen:

Pinot gris with oysters is counter-intuitive. But Carl von Schubert once suggested at a tasting here that his mature Spätlese was wonderful with oysters which is even more counter-intuitive. Was this GB/PG bone dry?

Tim,

Pinot Blanc (Weißburgunder), Pinot Gris (Grauburgunder), and Pinot Noir (Spätburgunder) in Germany are fermented dry these days. Look at that 14% alc. if you are unsure.

That pairing does seem counter-intuitive though. Especially because the Dönnhoff Grauburgunder S is fermented in new oak.

Cheers,
Bill
Wein schenkt Freude
ITB paetrawine.com
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:17 am

Point taken but seemed to work for some at the gathering. Heck, we are Canadians...what do we know!!
no avatar
User

Bill Hooper

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:46 am

McMinnville, OR

by Bill Hooper » Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:19 am

Bob Parsons Alberta wrote:Point taken but seemed to work for some at the gathering. Heck, we are Canadians...what do we know!!

No need to apologize Bob! I'm not saying it wasn't delicious, only that it isn't the first pairing that would spring to my mind.

Cheers,
Bill
Wein schenkt Freude
ITB paetrawine.com
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:59 pm

Bill Hooper wrote:
Bob Parsons Alberta wrote:Point taken but seemed to work for some at the gathering. Heck, we are Canadians...what do we know!!

No need to apologize Bob! I'm not saying it wasn't delicious, only that it isn't the first pairing that would spring to my mind.

Cheers,
Bill

Maybe it was the black bean sauce which made the match.
Tim York
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:14 am

TN: 2009 Jamain Reuilly Les Chenes, Loire Valley.

Big anticipation here after some google research, purchased in Calgary last year on store owners rec. A winemaker with quite a reputation, now organic.
100% PN, 12 months in local French barrels.
Only had 2 glasses but find all rather one-dimensional at first. Very dry, hint of bitterness on the finish, this is PN? Mineral, herby nose, poor mid-palate, lacks depth and vigour. Will report back after 24 hrs.
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:00 pm

Last night we popped an '09 Knapp Finger Lakes Merlot with our rib eye and sides. Wonderful!!!
no avatar
User

Tom N.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:17 pm

Soo, Ont.

by Tom N. » Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:07 pm

Tonight we had a nice dinner planned, so I pulled a what I hoped would be a special wine.

Menu: Marinated strip steak, grilled, sauteed green beans, and baked potato. And yes, I had to clear about 18" of snow off my barbecue before I could fire it up.

Deep ruby color. Gorgeous nose of blackberries, allspice, and leather. Midpalate of nice acidity, tingly tannins and dark fruit, however it was lacking in intensity when first tried (it may have been a bit cold as my cellar is running at 50 F right now). Medium to long finish of lingering acidity and slow burn tannins. With time the midpalate opened up showing more dark fruit, especially blackberry and a touch of black raspberry. Medium bodied, good balance, and medium complexity overall.
With food: gorgeous match with the grilled steak :D . The wine just opened up nicely with the juicy medium rare steak. Not bad with the green beans, which my wife perfectly cooked to a nice al dente texture.

Wine: 2007 Crozes-Hermitage Guigal. 13% abv.
Tom Noland
Good sense is not common.
Previous