Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Staying On The Topic Of Burgers...

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jeff B

Rank

Champagne Lover

Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:01 pm

Michigan (perhaps more cleverly known as "The Big Mitten")

Staying On The Topic Of Burgers...

by Jeff B » Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:33 am

Forgive me but I love burgers...:)

How do you feel about toppings and condiments on your burger? Is less, more. Or is more great! :)

What toppings are "necessities" and which are optional? I know some who prefer to pile their burger sky high while others insist that any great burger should shine on its own with only a minimum of toppings.

Here is a breakdown of my ideal burger, with a listing of toppings that are pretty much essential, those that are optional, and those which are a "no thanks"...

PRETTY MUCH ESSENTIAL
Mayo
Ketchup
Onion (Diced)

OPTIONAL
Cheese
Lettuce
Mushrooms

NO THANKS
Tomatoes
Mustard
Green Olives
Pickles

Feel free to submit your own lists - the burgers are fresh off the grill...:)

Jeff
"Meeting Franklin Roosevelt was like opening your first bottle of champagne. Knowing him was like drinking it." - Winston Churchill
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

Re: Staying On The Topic Of Burgers...

by Peter May » Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:56 am

I too love a good burger, for me the bun must be toasted on the inside to stop the bread going soggy.

I prefer nothing else in the bun, the salad stuff should be on the side as should a bottle of good ketchup. And plenty of crisp fat chips.

I'm not keen when a restaurant tries to 'gourmet up' a burger -- one I had in California came in two slices of sourdough which had large holes in it so the juices from the eat dribbled through. The bread is supposed to protect the hands from the meat.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:59 am

You are I are opposites. You like sweet, no acid. I like acid, no sweet.

We love a number of variations, Jeff. Each has it's own list of essentials. Ideal would be a grilled kaiser roll instead of a conventional bun in each case. From there: arugula, pepper jack cheese, red onions quick-pickled in oil and vinegar, and Hatch NM roasted green chiles make our very favorite burger. We also enjoy a very conventional combo of lettuce, tomato, raw onion rings and American cheese. Sometimes with mustard, but most of the time without and none of the other condiments EVER. From time to time we also go for a blast from the past, especially when tomatoes are lousy: lettuce, American cheese and lots of chopped white onion on a butter-fried burger patty and a well-buttered toasted bun. That's the 'Wee-Bee" variation, something we came to adore at a burger joint in Anchorage, Alaska.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:06 pm

How could you not include BACON???
no avatar
User

Joy Lindholm

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:41 am

Denver, CO

by Joy Lindholm » Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:16 pm

Jenise wrote:You are I are opposites. You like sweet, no acid. I like acid, no sweet.

I'm with you there. A punchy mustard like whole grain or dijon is essential, as are lots of homemade pickles. A sharp cheese and some spicy greens like arugula or mustard, some red onion, and that's a burger!
no avatar
User

Jeff B

Rank

Champagne Lover

by Jeff B » Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:31 pm

Carl Eppig wrote:How could you not include BACON???

You're right Carl. I don't know how I forgot that one!

Although, I'd have to put bacon on my "optional" list. It neither makes nor hurts a burger. I have been craving bacon burgers a lot.

Jeff
"Meeting Franklin Roosevelt was like opening your first bottle of champagne. Knowing him was like drinking it." - Winston Churchill
no avatar
User

Jeff B

Rank

Champagne Lover

by Jeff B » Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:37 pm

Jenise wrote:You are I are opposites. You like sweet, no acid. I like acid, no sweet.

I think you're right. I definitely shy away from mustard/pickle based burgers. I find that all that acid kind of distracts me from the meat/flavor. It's a bit too "sharp". But I feel ketchup is a must.

However, with hot dogs I'm more attracted to mustard so I guess it just depends on the food.

Jeff
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:29 pm

Peter echoes my sentiments regarding hamburgers.

-Paul W.