Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.

2012 vintage expectations

no avatar
User

Allen S

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Nov 03, 2008 3:28 pm

2012 vintage expectations

by Allen S » Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:36 pm

I know its early, but are there any thoughts on the quality of the 2012 vintage? I know the California winemakers are excited about it - what about Israel?
User

Craig Winchell

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:09 pm

Re: 2012 vintage expectations

by Craig Winchell » Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:14 pm

I don't know that CA winemakers are excited about the quality. The quantity enviable, and the quality was decent. In some places, as always, better than decent. After a couple of hard, low yield years, the quantities were a welcome change, as people had expected shortages which never really showed up.
no avatar
User

Allen S

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Nov 03, 2008 3:28 pm

by Allen S » Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:21 pm

Thanks for the response. At KFWE NY I got the impression from Joe Hurliman and Jonothan Hajdu that the 2012 vintage would be great quality, but I guess that is not the consensus.
User

David Raccah

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:18 am

Bay Area, CA

by David Raccah » Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:16 pm

Overall - the thinking is that 2012 will be a good year for CA, in both yield and quantity, though I would never argue with Craig on such subjects.

David
Checkout http://www.kosherwinemusings.com for my blogs on the world of kosher wines and follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/kosherwinemuse.
User

Craig Winchell

Rank

Wine guru

by Craig Winchell » Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:18 pm

If you listen to the winemakers, every year is a vintage of the century. Who among winery people is going to prejudice people against a vintage, especially one which will be long in terms of quantity? The quality is certainly acceptable. It was an early vintage over much of California, and that means short hang times and ripening under hotter conditions than the previous couple of years. On the other hand, that means no problems getting fruit ripe, certainly a problem in 2011 in cooler areas.
User

Craig Winchell

Rank

Wine guru

by Craig Winchell » Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:47 pm

http://www.wineindustryinsight.com/ex_n ... icing.html

Preliminary grape crush report came out today. Up 45% or more from last year's crush. Plus, prices were up, because everyone was scrambling to build up inventory. There was no mention of quality. This article is a condensation from the grape crush report, as well as what the European Central Bank says about things.