The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Port Tongs

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Tom Troiano

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:22 pm

Massachusetts

Port Tongs

by Tom Troiano » Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:36 am

Today I ordered the port tongs recommended by Paul Winalski. On Saturday night three port corks totally fell apart on me.

I'm curious what your experience is with port tongs? Should I practice a few times on bottles filled with water and re corked? Is there any chance that glass will get into the wine?

Wasn't there a good video somewhere on using port tongs?
Tom T.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: Port Tongs

by David M. Bueker » Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:38 am

Not that I generally like to direct traffic away from here, but Roy Hersh's For the Love of Port site has tons of info on port tongs if you do a search. Or you can ask a question or two.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:22 pm

Indiana, USA

by Sam Platt » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:06 am

Tom,

Here is the link to Roy's video on how to use port tongs. I followed his instructions on the one occasion that I used tongs. It worked just fine. I did filter through cheese cloth to make sure there were no tiny shards in the wine.

Sam

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ubeLgY4vWA
Sam

"The biggest problem most people have is that they think they shouldn't have any." - Tony Robbins
no avatar
User

Tom Troiano

Rank

Wine guru

Massachusetts

by Tom Troiano » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:37 am

David/Sam,

Thanks!!
Tom T.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:23 pm

Definitely check out Roy Hersh's video. On the several occasions where I've used them, port tongs have worked out just fine. You do need to get the tongs really hot.

-Paul W.
Last edited by Paul Winalski on Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Tom Troiano

Rank

Wine guru

Massachusetts

by Tom Troiano » Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:12 pm

Paul,

Thanks. Other than using the charcoal grill (which will probably be my method) what other methods have you used for heating the tongs? What works and what doesn't work?
Tom T.
no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Indiana, USA

by Sam Platt » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:04 pm

You could probably use a gas burner or a blow torch to heat the tongs. I would go with the charcoal grill. Even a little hibachi type grill should work fine.
Sam

"The biggest problem most people have is that they think they shouldn't have any." - Tony Robbins
no avatar
User

Tom Troiano

Rank

Wine guru

Massachusetts

by Tom Troiano » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:05 am

Since I grill at least one course at probably 80-90% of my wine dinners its easy for me to use the grill for heating the port tongs.

Of course this past Saturday I spent 4 hours doing snow removal so we ordered take out and didn't use the grill (which was buried in snow). Then again, I didn't own port tongs on Saturday.

Related question - why do 20 year old port corks seem to fall apart more often than 20 year old Bordeaux corks? Does the higher alcohol/sugar cause this? Do they send the best corks to Bordeaux?
Tom T.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:17 pm

Tom,

Charcoal fire or an outdoor gas burner both work for heating Port tongs.

Regarding crumbly corks, I think the sugar in Port tends to make the cork stick to the bottleneck more than is the case with dry wine, so that a waiter's corkscrew or a screwpull ends up just boring a hole in the middle of the cork.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Tom Troiano

Rank

Wine guru

Massachusetts

by Tom Troiano » Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:29 pm

Paul, Thanks! I was using a waiter's friend.
Tom T.
no avatar
User

Tom Troiano

Rank

Wine guru

Massachusetts

by Tom Troiano » Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:02 am

Port tongs arrived and I tested them out. Used the fireplace to heat them since I had a fire going the day they arrived.

Worked great!! Feel stupid for not buying them 20 years ago.

Picture is actually old bottles filled with water and recorked.

tongs2.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tom T.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:19 pm

On old Port I wouldn't even think of using a normal screw - an Ah So will pull it by getting it unstuck from the glass without breaking the cork in half. Port tongs are more about display than utility in 99% of the cases.
no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Indiana, USA

by Sam Platt » Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:24 pm

Bill Spohn wrote:Port tongs are more about display than utility in 99% of the cases.

That's definitely true in my case. The only reason for using the tongs was that my friend had them. The cork would have come out just fine with a standard cork screw. Port tongs have only slightly more utility than a Champagne saber as far as I can tell.
Sam

no avatar
User

Tom Troiano

Rank

Wine guru

Massachusetts

by Tom Troiano » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:58 am

Sam/Bill,

I respect your opinion but they sure seem like a nice tool. I'm tired of all the cork removal issues.

They also aren't that nice to display. I certainly would never display them in my dining room.
Tom T.
no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Indiana, USA

by Sam Platt » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:34 am

Hi Tom,

I don't doubt that the tongs would be valuable to someone who opens older vintage Ports regularly. That's not me. I do love Port, but most of what I open is recently bottled Tawny. I do drink a VP now and then. The oldest Vintage Port I have opened is a 1984 model.
Sam

no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:52 am

Bill Spohn wrote:On old Port I wouldn't even think of using a normal screw - an Ah So will pull it by getting it unstuck from the glass without breaking the cork in half. Port tongs are more about display than utility in 99% of the cases.

I've never gotten the hang of using an Ah So. Every time I try to use one, I end up pushing the cork into the bottle.

I do agree that port tongs are mainly for show. I also have a swan's feather for applying the ice water after using the tongs.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:02 pm

If the Ah So pushes the cork, remove it and use a normal corkscrew - it is loose. But if you push only one tang donw at a time, alternating, the chances of it pusing a cork are much reduced - you wiggle it down and pull the cork - much easier than a screw.

You just need more practice, Paul.... :twisted:
no avatar
User

Tom Troiano

Rank

Wine guru

Massachusetts

by Tom Troiano » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:05 pm

Sam Platt wrote:Hi Tom,

I don't doubt that the tongs would be valuable to someone who opens older vintage Ports regularly. That's not me. I do love Port, but most of what I open is recently bottled Tawny. I do drink a VP now and then. The oldest Vintage Port I have opened is a 1984 model.

Sam,

I own a few 63s, and many bottles from the 70s, '83 and '85 so the tongs seem like the right tool for me. Like Paul W. I struggle a bit with the ah so type.
Tom T.
no avatar
User

Anders Källberg

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:48 am

Stockholm, Sweden

by Anders Källberg » Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:45 pm

My view is that firstly, port tongs are great fun, even to the point that I once made my own. Secondly, they really are invaluable when opening really old VP, such as 50+ years, for which the corks really tend to crumble and stick.

Heating is best done in an open fire or barbecue. A gas flame normally does not heat it evenly enough. If only the tongs are hot enough, a tight fit around the neck is not that crucial, since the iron radiates a good deal of heat anyway.

In case you'd be interested in the story of my making my port tongs, you can find it here:
http://www.wineloverspage.com/port/tongs.phtml

Just before X-mas I was experimenting with electric port tongs - an electric heating wire wound around the neck and heated to glowing. Worked nicely. I even made a portable, battery-operated version. Might post a picture of that here later. Don't have access to it right now.

Cheers, Anders
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:05 pm

Tom Troiano wrote:Like Paul W. I struggle a bit with the ah so type.

Hmm - is man still a man for all that if he can't manage his own ah so....? :mrgreen: