The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Novy Nebbiolo '05...(short/boring)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

WTN: Novy Nebbiolo '05...(short/boring)

by TomHill » Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:51 pm

Tried this the other afternoon w/ an Italian friend:
1. Novy Nebbiolo StolpmanVnyd/SantaYnezVlly (14.4%) 2005: Med.dark color w/ some bricking; strong tarry/pungent/licorice/smokey light herbal/thyme slight lilacs/floral/Nebb rather interesting nose; rather hard/tannic/bitey strong licorice/pungent/tarry/earthy some charred/toasty/oak little Nebb/floral flavor; long rather hard/tannic/bitey strong licorice/tarry/pungent some toasty/oak slight lilacs/Nebb/floral finish; a hard/tannic Nebb more along the lines of a Gattinara, maybe Valtelline, rather than a Langhe Nebb.
1. In Calif, there seems to be a particular affinity between Pinot producers and an interest in the Nebbiolo grape. Probably makes sense. One of the things I really like about Nebbiolo is that ethereal/perfumey/floral/lilacs/violets aromatics that the grape came sometimes (not always) give. At last Summer's NEB#3 symposium, DarrellCorti admonished them not to try to make big/intense Nebbs that will be sure to get big scores out of Monktown, nor to try to replicate Langhe Nebbiolo; but to seek their own style, and suggested that maybe a wine along the Burgundy/Pinot line would be more successful. Probably the Calif Pinot producers might have the inside track to that goal.
This wine, though never a big/extracted wine, was not evolving as well as I hoped. I was hoping that it would have shed some of its tannins and developed more of a fragrant/perfumey nose that comes w/ bottle age. It's still got pretty hard tannins on the palate, but the nose seems to be getting more pungent/tarry and not developing much of the perfumey aromatics that I'd hoped for. That said...I liked this wine quite a lot for its pungent/tarry side and it went perfectly well with my Korean-style beef ribs (from WholeFoods..which were nothing to write home about).
Tom