Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Fish Fondu

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

Fish Fondu

by Christina Georgina » Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:09 pm

The annual "dipping" party is about to happen and for one course I am planning a seafood fondu with scallops and shrimp cooked in a seasoned broth [ white wine, shallot, ginger, garlic ] and served with a variety of dipping sauces. What solid fish do you think would work best ? Halibut ? salmon ? tuna.Not sure which fish chunks would hold shape when immersed in the hot broth best. Thanks
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

Re: Fish Fondu

by Mike Filigenzi » Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:53 pm

Swordfish, maybe? It would definitely hang together although I'm not sure about the flavor end of things. I would think that halibut would be good as well.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

Re: Fish Fondue

by Karen/NoCA » Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:32 pm

Will broth get hot enough to cook the seafood properly? I think fish that cooks fast, like shrimp, scallops would be good so folks don't have to wait very long for it to cook. Friends had us over for a seafood/meat fondue and the fish was cooked quickly in dedicated oil and then dipped into dedicated dips for the fish.
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

by Christina Georgina » Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:04 pm

Yes, I have an electric pot that will boil the liquid. Did Shabu-Shabu last year in that pot and it worked beautifully. Do not plan to have anything cooked in oil nor the traditional cheese fondue. Trying to introduce friends to other styles of fondue.
THe Bagna Cauda is back again this year by demand but subbing a Thai broth for beef and working on a milk toffee dip for the dessert fondue.
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:51 pm

Christina Georgina wrote:Yes, I have an electric pot that will boil the liquid. Did Shabu-Shabu last year in that pot and it worked beautifully. Do not plan to have anything cooked in oil nor the traditional cheese fondue. Trying to introduce friends to other styles of fondue.
THe Bagna Cauda is back again this year by demand but subbing a Thai broth for beef and working on a milk toffee dip for the dessert fondue.

Sounds so good, less messy and less calories!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:05 pm

Halibut could be a problem in that the surface pills off quite easily which could make your broth look like egg drop soup. Mike's suggestion of swordfish is one of the first I'd consider (if it's available to you).
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

by Christina Georgina » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:44 pm

No swordfish and no halibut. Picked up some Mahi Mahi and Scottish salmon. We shall see....
Thanks for the advice
Mamma Mia !