The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Some Calif Pinots...(long/boring)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

WTN: Some Calif Pinots...(long/boring)

by TomHill » Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:09 pm

We tried the other week (1/16/13) Some New PinotNoirs:
1. Arnot-Roberts PinotNoir PeterMartinRayVnyd/SCM (35 yr old vines; 4 brls; 12.5%) 2011: Med.light color;
rather dusty/Rhonish/roasted/smokey bit earthy/SCM light black cherry/PN rather meaty/whole-cluster
somewhat complex nose; rather tart earthy/dusty bit roasted/Rhonish light black cherry/PN some SCM/earthy
flavor with light/hard/lean tannins; tart/lean bit herbal/peppery some roasted/Rhonish light black
cherry/PN finish w/ some hard/lean/bitey tannins; lots of Rhonish/whole-cluster fermentation aromas &
flavors; a paucity of fruit but may develop into something interesting. $55.00
dusty/loamy/Carneros fairly tannic finish; a quiet/cherry/juicy fruit but somewhat earthy like a Loire
PinotNoir; rather interesting a may develop into something pretty interesting w/ 3-6 yrs of age. $28.00
3. WindGap PinotNoir WoodruffVnyd/SantaCruzMtns (44 cs; 12.3%; #244) 2008: Light color; light black cherry/PN
light smokey/toasty/oak some earthy bit simple pleasant enough nose; rather tart/lean light black cherry/PN
bit hard/tannic light toasty/oak flavor; med.long tart/lean slight earthy/PN/black cherry light toasty/oak
finish w/ some hard tannins; some earthy/SCM/Pinot character but a paucity of fruit and rather hard/lean w/
little secondary character showing; pleasant enough but just that. $50.00
4. WindGap PinotNoir WoodruffVnyd/SCM (12.5%; #198; 56 cs) 2009: Med.light color; much stronger fruity/black
cherry/PN light smokey/oak/charred/Burgundian light earthy/SCM fairly interesting nose; softer rather earthy/
black cherry/PN light charred/Burgundian/oak interesting flavor w/ some hard tannins; med.long some fruity/
juicy/earthy/black cherry/PN light toasty/Burgundian/oak bit hard/tannic finish; a bit softer and more fruit
and speaks some of that earthy/SCM Pinot character; pleasant/interesting Pinot that needs more time. $50.00
5. WindGap PinotNoir SonomaCoast (12.4%; 12 barrels + 1 Puncheon/308 cs; #2138) 2011: Med.light color; rather
bright/cherry/PN/spicy light toasty/oak slight spicy/peppery pleasant/bright nose; rather tart quite bright/
cherry/PN/spicy/cherry pie light toasty/charred/oak w/ light tannins; long pretty/bright/cherry/PN/spicy light
toasty/oak finish; quite pretty bright/spicy/cherry Pinot. $36.00
6. WindGap PinotNoir SonomaCoast/PetalumaGap (6 brls/148 cs; 13.0%; #969) 2010: Med.light color; light dusty/earthy
light cherry/PN light toasty/oak less bright fruit pretty nose; softer bright/cherry/PN some dusty/earthy light
toasty/oak fairly light flavor w/ light tannins; med.long some dusty/earthy bright/cherry/PN some cold-climate/
spicy finish w/ light tannins; a bit richer & more extracted and more earthy/dusty character; another rather
pretty Pinot. $40.00
7. WindGap PinotNoir Gap'sCrown&Griffin'sLair Vnyds/SonomaCoast (12.5%; 314 cs; #2022) 2009: Med.color; stronger
black cherry/PN/spicy bit cold-climate/peppery/spicy/herbal slight earthy/dusty attractive nose; bit hard/tannic
somewhat strong black cherry/PN/black cherry cola light charred/oak flavor w/ some tannins; med.long slight
herbal/rosemary/cold-climate/peppery pretty cherry/cherry cola/PN bit riper/stronger/lusher light charred/oak
finish w/ light tannins; best & most interesting of the WindGaps and a bit Burgundian in character. $36.00
pie/black cherry cola/cranberry some herbal/walnutty light toasty/oak finish w/ light tannins; a rather strange
rendition of Calif Pinot but I sorta liked it for what it is...atypical. $45.00
probably robbed by the slight but evident TCA taint. $nc (BH)
delicate rather perfumed flavor w/ light/smooth/graceful tannins; very long bright/spicy/cherry/raspberry/PN/
cherry cola light earthy/dusty/herbal light pencilly/oak finish w/ light tannins; quite an attractive/pretty
Pinot on the graceful/elegant side. $40.00
spicy/cherry/black cherry/PN light earthy light pencilly/toasty/oak rather aromatic finish w/ light tannins;
a graceful/elegant quite spicy Pinot w/ great balance and should go out another 2-5 yrs; my easy favorite of
all these Pinots. $40.00
bit toasty/oak nose; soft slight herbal/earthy rather ripe/black cherry/blackberry/PN some toasty/charred/oak
flavor w/ some tannins; long soft black cherry/PN/blackberry rather toasty/oak/charred bit alcoholic slight herbal/
earthy finish w/ some tannins; needs several yrs of age yet; a fairly big Pinot some like the Sanfords of old
under Bruno. $37.00
little RRV Pinot but seem a bit pricey for what it is. $45.00
lingering light herbal/rosemary/pungent strong black cherry/boysenberry/PN/ripe some smokey/toasty/oak finish w/
light smooth tannins; speaks strongly of Siduri Pinot and SLH Pinots; probably getting near its peak; quite
a lovely rich/lush Pinot. $42.00
________________________________________________________________________________________________
The usual stuff from TheBloodyPulpit:
1. These first seven Pinots were selected because thay are the poster children for the In Pursuit of Balance crowd.
At least based on their alcohol levels. Which, we are told, is not the sole criteria for selection of the IPoB
crowd. Save for the A-R, I liked these first seven Pinots and thought them rather pretty wines. "Balanced"..
yeah, I guess you could call them that. But after I tasted thru them, I just had this vaguely unsatisfied
feeling that I'd like a bit more richness and impact on the palate. Maybe w/ more age, they'll develop some
interesting aromatics that will make up for that. Certainly the balance should carry all of them out another 3-6 yrs.
But I'm not at all sure how they will evolve.
3. Harrington: I've followed BryanHarrington's wines from the very start when I found out he was making Nebbiolo. Even
made a visit to his winery several yrs ago...in a very industrial section of SanFrancisco. The visit was a bit of
a disapointment. In the front part of his bldg is a metalworking shop....tres industrial chic. Alas, Katie the Riveter,
whom I was really hoping to meet, no longer worked there. Someday, maybe I'll get to actually meet Katie.
I very much like Bryan's Nebbiolo, made from Paso grapes. One of the better ones being made in Calif. This was my
first real exposure to his Pinots, a big passion of his. They strike me as being one of the more elegant/graceful/
delicate expressions of Pinot in Calif w/ lots of aromatics. I was impressed.
Tom
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

Re: WTN: Some Calif Pinots...(long/boring)

by Brian K Miller » Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:24 pm

Donkey & Goat
a rather strange rendition of Calif Pinot but I sorta liked it for what it is...atypical

Maybe that is why I liked this! Not a fan of cherry cola California Pinot at all! :mrgreen:
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach